Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone taken an EQ University class? >

Has anyone taken an EQ University class?

Has anyone taken an EQ University class?

Old 11-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Default Has anyone taken an EQ University class?

Here is the website: http://classes.electricquilt.com/

I have owned EQ7 for at least a year but it languishes unused on my computer because I simply don't "get" how to use it (in spite of having worked as a software developer for business applications for many years). Wondering if some of the EQ University classes would be worthwhile even though I don't seem to do at all well with Craftsy classes -- too impatient to sit through long descriptions, I think. With the EQ classes, though, I may be able to have the class running on one monitor while I actually practice carrying out the instructions on the other monitor.

$40 per class is a hefty amount of money, so I'd like to be sure I would actually get something out of it. As far as I can tell, I would have to start with the Sampler class and then take the Block class before I could take the Layouts class -- which I think means I would be paying more for the classes than I did for EQ7 to begin with!

I know about Rhonda's tutorial here. Printed out a lesson and followed it on the computer. It's just that nothing seems to "stick" with me this way, I think because my brain doesn't work well when I have to shift focus frequently between paper and the computer monitor.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:20 PM

I am the same, I know EQ can do a whole lot more than I can make it do. A couple of years ago, there was a big show in Cincinnati (I think) and they were offering a couple of EQ classes. I didn't get to attend and haven't seen it offered since.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM

I have EQ 7 and it does a whole lot more than I need. It would be nice if EQ put out a workbook in addition to the manual. I have no idea if a Craftsy class would be helpful or not. But, it couldn't hurt. I learn better by visual than I do by the written word. I'll be interested to read other replies.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:14 AM

I have always wanted to have the EQ 7 program, but so far haven't gotten around to getting it. Any lesson's would be most welcome.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:14 AM

why not try the quick start one, it is free?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I have had a version of EQ since 1995 starting with version 3. I just upgraded from version 5 to 7 in the last few months. I am happy with the addition of making loading fabrics into the program so much simpler. I don't do anything complicated anymore but I am always adding quilt patterns and resizing them for charity quilts. I can't seem to get the monthly library downloaded to EQ7. I finally found that it must have still copied them into my EQ5. I reread the instruction but I don't know what step I missed so I will have to eventually contact tech support. I was able to download the free pattern of Mistletoes finally from EQ website after trying numerous times with the instructions posted:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...r-t257325.html

When I printed the PP block, it didn't print any color on the PP pattern so I had to write to note what fabric to use where. Not very impressed.

I believe that $40 is the standard rate of what an EQ teacher would charge at your LQS.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 11-29-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:46 AM

The big problem I have with EQ - some things do not work in the traditional manner. I can and do use Illustrator, so editing curves and drawing usually aren't the problem. Where things are put, is. Seems like everything goes in Sketchbook, but you can't keep Sketchbook open while looking at something else. You wind up adding duplicates of fabric, etc. I haven't tried a custom palette - like setting up ONLY the colors I want (say rusts and browns) saving it, and applying to a new quilt.

Remembering what works on each layer and process is a pain. Patch Draw and Draw get confusing as to how to edit what. If I screw up a drawing in Illustrator, all I have to do is select the appropriate tool and layer if I'm using one to fix the points. EQ, you change mode!

Studio for the Silhouette Cameo follows the normal vector proceedure, you stand a chance. The same for a few embroidery digitizing programs.

Vector drawing follows certain rules. It depends on coordinates to function. I think that's why the software designer is having a problem. EQ has forked vector.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:37 AM

Years ago I did a free border university class, but unfortunately if I don't use what I "learn".... I lose it I do have EQ5 and enjoyed going through Rhonda's lessons, but each time I think I'll use the program to help me do something a little complicated like making a custom set up .... I have to drag out the books!
For me, because of how my brain works, the class wouldn't be worth the $$ unless I was willing to practice using EQ7 almost daily.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:42 AM

I have EQ7 and have never used it!! I wish I did know how -- guess that will be my New Year's Resolution this year. Spend the winter learning EQ7!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 AM

Can you forward one of these posts to an email address? I gave my EQ6 to a cousin of mine who is more computer literate than I am, and I think this posting might be of some help to her as she goes into the learning part of using it. I never was able to get through the book, so I didn't even attempt to load it into my computer. Somebody please help me out here. That would be a pretty awful waste of money if she nor I neither one can figure it out.