Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone thought about this? >

Has anyone thought about this?

Has anyone thought about this?

Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Funny this topic should come up. I just spent several hours today straighting up my sewing room looking for somethings I couldn't find. Everytime I think I am using up some of my stash there is another great sale or I get involved in another project other than quilting. I am now making those Princess Pillowcase dresses. The good news is that I can use some of my fabrics that are not ideal for quilting. The bad news is that they require elastic and bias tape. I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month and some of them are fleace that was donated to the chapter and I finish them by crocheting an edge around them. That required me purchasing or collecting a stash of yarn. Several years ago I packed up all of the fabric I had purchased for garment making and never got around to and donated it to our local Vo Tech fabric construction class. That made a little more room for my other projects. For a while I was a handquilter for hire and that kept me from making more quilts as I was busy finishing someone else's. With the advent of the longarm I am basically out of business. I still like to spend my TV watching time either working on a small handquilting project or crocheting on those Linus blankets. I have at least half a dozen bed size quilts stored in my cedar chest and on the bed and both sofas. There are throws scattered through out the house so if anyone is chilled they can just grab one. I can always be counted on to donate some size of quilted project to a guild or other group bingo, sale or otherwise. My stash seems to be having babies of it's own.
My daughter is into crafts but things like glassblowing. My step-daughter and daughter-in laws are not crafty at all and neither are my granddaughters. Since my husband is ten years my senior my daughter will probably end up disposing of our worldly goods. I guess I should leave her a list. Our local Senior Center gets a lot of donations from estates and folks moving into assisted living etc. I guilt with a group of ladies there who make use of the donations to raise funds for the center projects. Maybe I should think about sticking a label on each of my six machines with an estimate of thier worth and list of attachments, software etc. The more I think about it the guilter I feel. I have more than $1000 tied up in embroidery software, much of which I have never used. It sure was fun collecting it.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM

SILaw is a quilter...sold me her machine & gave me 90% of her stash...she would know the value and what to do.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM

It has taken me 10 years to work my way thru my late aunt's stash and UFOs. I enjoyed it, and projects finished went right back to her family. Still, those items all came on top of my own UFOs. Another good reason not to fall behind!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:04 PM

When my sister died three yrs. ago, her husband put all of her "stuff" including quilting stuff in the front yard and had a yard sale. There were many things that my niece and I who quilted with her would have wanted, even if we had to buy them. It made me sew sad....
Old 02-18-2012, 04:20 PM

She could call me! I have never been to Oregon, but it would be a wonderful trip!! I am 59 and diabetic, so I really shouldn't count on it, huh? I have been going thru my stash and organizing it since we moved. I am finding things I didn't know I had lost!

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Has anyone thought about what would happen to all you quilt "stuff" if you died? I was talking to my husband yesterday and told him that if I died, to call my quilting friend, Nettie, and have her come over and go through all my quilting items and price them and then to advertise a sell as "Quilter's Estate Sale". I found that I had 56 FQ of asian fabric plus yardage of it also. And that was just the beginning. I have so many FQ, kits, jelly rolls, charms, layer cakes, yards and yards of fabric, every notion you can imagine, tons of thread, two sewing machines, all kinds of containers for my FQ and fabric, pins, needles, rulers, ruler holders, patterns, quilting books, buttons, embroidery thread, batting, mats, all kinds of different containers to hold all my little gadgets, gadgets, irons, ironing boards, fusible web, spray starch not even opened, glue, binding machine, storage units, bookcases, dressers, cutting tables, lights, serge protectors, safety pins for quilting, tons of stash, etc. Lots of things my husband would have no use for but quilters would want. I have so much as I'm sure all of us quilters do and I don't want it to be boxed up and given to Salvation Army or sold at a yard sale. I want quilters to have first pick. So my husband knows now what to do "if" I die tomorrow. I'm only 57 but you never know.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

CREMATION...taking it ALL with me!....well, that is what I tell my nosy quilt guild ladies anyway..I am sure my boys, and my step daughter will divvy it all up just fine!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM

well I do hope I don't die soon, but this is not something for me to worry about. I can't take it with me either.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:13 PM

Just continue to plug away on my stash, many kits I just "Had to Have", and unfinished projects. I have stopped buying so much as my closet is overwhelming to look into. If I pass before I finish, I hope someone finds all the items I didn't get to as potential projects to make, enjoy, or give as gifts. Certainly not worth my worry as I've enjoyed every day in my sewing room.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 PM

I don't have anyone in my family who is interested in quilting. I belong to a great group of women and we meet weekly to quilt together, my kids or husband will take it over to them and let them take what they want. I try to not get too much ahead of myself (as far as fabric goes) and usually have about 5 or so quilt projects going at a time (or in progress).
Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 PM

When I went in for surgery, I wrote my DD and DS both a letter with instructions about all the 'stuff' in my sewing room, as well as some of my treasures. I just know DH would have NO clue, so trust my kids to do the right thing.