Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years? >

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Old 07-26-2014, 11:03 AM

I have used it for all my years of sewing and like it, however lately I have been sewing along and found a big knot where two ends were tied together. One I caught just before it tried to go through my machine needle and the other I was threading a needle for hand sewing. I have only found it on two spools but I have been very careful to watch my thread when I am sewing.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 AM

I was a dedicated Coats and Clark user for 50 years. Haven't bought it since they cheapened it to all polyester. My sewing shop said DO NOT use polyestes on my machine, causes static and messes up lots of things in machines. Plus it's no difference than the 5 for a $1 cheapie stuff, which also messes up machines. About once a month, I go to thrift shops and garage sales, looking for any kind of Dual Duty thread that is cotton or cotton polyester. C and C just cheapened itself and I won't use it.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 PM

First of all....I drive a Ford Mustang and a GMC.....Second...my machine does not like C&C. I use Aurifil or Guttermann.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 PM

I usully use connecting thread 100% cotton thread for piecing and FMQ. My machine likes it , price is good, and it come in many colors. I have tried C&C 100% cotton and do not like it. It seems thick and linty so I do not use it. I do however use C&C duel duty for my general sewing. It can be bought cheap with coupin at Joanns. I will also use it ocassionally for FMQ if I need a special color.

I recently heard a quilt shop owner say that Acufill is her thread of choice. It is expensive but you get a lot on the spool.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I had never even heard of these brands until I joined The Quilting Board.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 AM

I've used only Dual Duty for my entire quilting life (30 years or so) and love it. No problems. I used to have to drive a good ways to buy thread but my local WalMart carries this thread in some basic colors....I piece with light-towards-medium gray and they carry it, so I'm happy.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:25 AM

No problem with C & C on my machine but lots of problems with using it when doing English Piecing on my GFG. After a short time I find that it unwinds and then frays. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:21 AM

Yes, if I'm sewing a long seam on a dress or slacks, I can always count on having to rethread the needle because the all polyester thread frays and breaks. Maddening, with long seams in garment sewing. It will eventually mess up the timing on a machine. It also gets full of static when hemming and knots, especially when it's hot and that the norm in FL.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:56 AM

I used C&C for years when I was sewing clothes. I started buying Gutermann because at that time it was considered a good thread. That is before I learned about all the others. I have Superior Bobbin thread but haven't bought any of their other threads since I still have a bunch of thread I need to use up. I did find out that my machine(Brother Innovis) does not like Dual Duty , will tolerate C&C cotton thread , likes Gutermann thread. But the thread cutter on my machine won't cut the bobbin thread . My vintage 401 doesn't care what thread I put in it. It sews without a problem .
Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 AM

I have also noticed a difference in the quality of C&C thread, first in their handquilting thread which tends to fray -- I have been buying Gutermann threads for awhile now and am more pleased with the quality