Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years? >

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 AM

C&C was the only thread I used for many years but when I bought my Viking about 18 years ago it didn't perform we'll with it. My newer machines prefer Guttermann, Metrosene & Aurifil. I still have quite a lot of the older stock that I use on my FWs but am thinking of getting rid of it. Took a while to convince my daughter that the grade of threads sold by bargain stores is really not a bargain.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 PM

I've found that C&C just isn't the quality that I was used to. I've picked up a couple of spools recently and they had slubs along with thin spots in the thread. I broke a needle when it got to one of the slubs(thick spots). I threw the rest of the thread in the trash.
My favorite cotton thread is Aurifil and polyester is Metrosene. I'm fed up with wasting money on poor quality thread. I've been sewing since 1966, quilting since 1988. It's sad that brands that were wonderful have become junk.
Sharon in Texas
Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 PM

When I first started sewing it was the only thread sold at the local 5 and 10 , so that's what I bought. I still buy it on occasion with no issues as far as strength or my machine not liking it. That being said I am not in the "only use cotton " group.