Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years? >

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Has Coats & Clark thread quality changed in the past few years?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
This has been disproved by too many machine and thread manufacturers. It's simply not true. A knowledgeable dealer or tech would never tell a customer only one type of thread has to be used on a machine.
Onebyone, I totally agree! Some of the rubbish advice given (on all fronts) is somewhere between humorous, irritating, ignorant, and just plain wrong!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 AM

As I mentioned I had a problem when stitching my gfg but I don't have any issues in my machine or with hand quilting using it. I had problems with several threads shredding and knotting when doing the overcast stitch when putting my hexies together. In my humble opinion it was shredding because of going in and out of the fabric so much with the same thread.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM

I have not purchased any C&C thread since they went straight polyester. I have used the duly duty for years with no problems. I used it to sew kids clothes, jeans, DH shirts and my clothes and for machine piecing. I have a good supply still and will not purchase the polyester. I sew and applique cotton and want cotton thread. I also e-mailed C&C. I got a reply but no answers to my questions about the thread change.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
As I mentioned I had a problem when stitching my gfg but I don't have any issues in my machine or with hand quilting using it. I had problems with several threads shredding and knotting when doing the overcast stitch when putting my hexies together. In my humble opinion it was shredding because of going in and out of the fabric so much with the same thread.
I have read that for hand-sewing one should start with a thread only about 18 inches long.

I think some of us used a much longer thread to avoid rethreading the needle and trying to get a nice know in the thread.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I use Coats Cotton with no problems. Maybe the problem was Clarks. The bottom of the different spools I use say Coats and Clark, but the top just has Coats Cotton. BrendaK
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 AM

Judy: That was exactly my conclusion. Bearisgrey: Tried shorter lengths to try to eliminate the problem. Same thing, shredding and fraying. Recently I bought a new spool of C & C because I needed that particular color. To date haven't had a problem, maybe they figured out they had a problem and fixed it. Trouble is I don't trust them like I used to, so will buy other brands when I have a choice.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 AM

Have used C&C for many years with no problems in my DSM (Janome). Have used both the Dual Duty and Dual Duty Plus. I see they have a "new" thread available specifically for Paper Piecing. Wonder what the difference is?

I see many of you say you use "old" thread. I've heard that old thread doesn't stand up well at all as it gets "dry" and breaks easily. Is this true or an old wives tale?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Wink my choice of thread

Originally Posted by SittingPretty View Post
I have a Babylock Esante, and my dealer said not to use C&C thread. I asked why, and she said it's a bad thread. I asked what I should use, and she said, "Anything else. Doesn't matter what brand, just not C&C." She said her husband, who is the one who repairs and tunes the machines, uses C&C to test the machines. He said it's so bad, that he can tell what might be wrong by the way the thread behaves. I was kind of upset by all that. I've used C&C for many years, sewed all kinds of clothes and household items. It was always the only thread I'd ever used. I do seem to have more problems with breakage and shredding, tho. Maybe she is right. I'll have to use other brands more often and check it out.
"My thread of choice is Gutterman, it not only is a cleaner thread, but I will use C&C if I am in a bind, I wait for it to go on sale at Joanne's and they I go crazy and buy a bunch, I usually have what I need on hand.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 AM

I just bought a new Phaff that you need a doctorate degree to use, and the dealer told me not to use C&C thread. They sell Mettler thread. Even other shoppers in JoAnn's told me to buy Gutterman thread. (I ask questions of the shoppers in the fabric section sometimes, since I am so new to sewing (especially quilting.) I am so disappointed as I have always liked Coats and Clark, and I have resisted this information against it for many years. (My new machine isn't embroidery so that isn't the reason for not using C&C.) I am surprised to read here that C&C is just as expensive as the other brands. I've been fooled all this time.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

For many of us, that was (and is) one of the more easily found brands of thread.