Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you checked out JoAnn's lately? >

Have you checked out JoAnn's lately?

Have you checked out JoAnn's lately?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by lheizen View Post
I haven't been for awhile Hubby put me on a fabric diet LOL, now I have an excuse to go in
I like your quote "on a fabric diet".
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 AM

Our JoAnns is still the same I know the managers and talked to them their just doing resetsat ours!!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 AM

Indy has 4 super Joanns and a few of the smaller ones. They have consolidated some of the huge stores into slightly smaller retail spaces but the variety appears to be the same. In fact, one of the stores has much more interesting fabric choices.

They are competing in the same areas with Hobby Lobby and Micheals for craft type supplies, Hancock for discount fabric and all the LQS for quality fabric and supplies. They all appear to be continuing to stock so they all must be continuing to sell. Midwesterners must still enjoy quilting and crafts.

Joanns business model of coupon use to generate traffic is not one of my favorites. But when I need something, they usually have it in stock.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 AM

The prices have gone up in the local quilt shops, too.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 AM

The store in our area has cut waaaayyy back on the quilting fabrics, even removed some of the gondolas. What they have is packed, and looks full, but the cotton section is reduced by over half. Fleece has taken over most of the section. Silk is now in the once quilting zone. I'm suspicious of what may come to pass. I'll certainly keep my eye open for mark downs. Taking one of my friends over there today to order some Bama fleece, and pick up some last minute items for the guild retreat. I'll try to gather some intelligence while there. I've seen many changes since the takeover, few are good. This may be the beginning of the end.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 AM

here in Vero Beach, Fl, there is a Joann's being readied...... hopefully to open sometime in the next few months......
don't know just what they will carry.

The one back in Jersey on my last trip there, I found their fabric not to be the nicest. I was really disappointed and walked out empty handed.....but they do still carry all the notions.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 AM

I couldn't tell what they were doing. So many bare racks. I guess they're waiting for new shipments. I love ordering on line but for small notions that weigh nothing the shipping is so expensive.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Anna O View Post
I haven't been to our JoAnn's lately, but I'll certainly have to check it out. The last time I was in there I did notice their prices have sure gone up. I'm now checking out Hancock's first, especially since they take competitor's coupons.
Hancock Fabrics has added many more quilting supplies in the past year. Besides taking competitor coupons, even the percentage off a purchase ones, they have a new great remnant program. All cottons that are remnants are marked down to $2.00 a yard. All other remnants are a couple dollars or so a yard as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM
FLQ

I have two Joann stores nearby and one is terrific because of the manager and the other is dreadful due to it's manager. I go to the smaller (nicer) store and found that they have brought in new lines of premium fabric. The quilt notions seem about the same but books have been reorganized and mixed into other crafting titles. This makes it much harder to find quilt titles. Since our area of the state has lost 8 LQS in two years I sincerely hope Joann's doesn't reduce their quilt product lines. I do think we'll see changes in company names carried. It looks to me that the new folks running Joann's are trying to improve the company's market position so they stay in business.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr View Post
here in Vero Beach, Fl, there is a Joann's being readied...... hopefully to open sometime in the next few months......
don't know just what they will carry.

The one back in Jersey on my last trip there, I found their fabric not to be the nicest. I was really disappointed and walked out empty handed.....but they do still carry all the notions.
Hi MJ, We probably go to the same Joann's in Shrewsbury. I was there a week or so to use my Joann's gift card and there were plenty of quilt notions. For once they had the 5 pack of blades and I bought a pack of 45mm and 60 mm, that should do me for awhile. Didn't buy any fabric but it looked like there wasn't any change in the amount of bolts. It has been more organized the past year and I hope it continues to stay open because it is the only place for supplies within a reasonable distance. LQS shops are all at least an hour away, best one, Quilting Possiblities, is further away about 50 miles. I'm also on a fabric diet but I'm OK for now with fabric. Holding off buying any until trip to Lancaster, PA in March for the show and shopping at all the fabric stores in the area with greatly reduced prices on top quality fabrics. May in Jersey