Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you checked out JoAnn's lately? >

Have you checked out JoAnn's lately?

Have you checked out JoAnn's lately?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 AM

The Joann's closest to my office has the same amount of fabric (just fewer people who know fabric to cut it or answer questions) but I have noticed that the quilting notions are dwindling down and are replaced slowly if at all. What irritates me is the books and magazines scattered all over the place, some next to the cash registers, some in the patterns area, some in the home decor area, some in the back of the quilting area. But....none of them pertain to the area that they are in, and there are just piles of books on the bottom of the shelves, all jumbled together. And if I want a quilting, or OMG, a sewing magazine, I have to look in the grocery chains because they have a better selection. Can't find a current sewing magazine in the entire store but can find plenty of beading, Parents Magazine, Weight Watchers, Woman's Day, etc.; all good magazines but not what I want or need. If you look in the book stores - they carry 90% knitting and crochet magazines, and the rest scrapbooking and clerks will send you to the "Joann's down the street" for sewing and quilting magazines. Makes me wonder who is making the purchasing decisions in these stores as I go off to Kroger looking for the publications only they carry.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM

The Joann's Fabric up my way, Manchester, NH did the same thing before Christmas they had a huge sale and quilting books, patterns and rulers of any kind where history. I was able to purchase a few things but not like it was when they had a sale before. I find that ordering on line is better and they have more quilting things. I read in the papers that they were just bought out, so maybe the new owner wants to go crafts. Very disappointing.
Has anyone noticed the pattern department lately? All the stores in my area are going Simplicity and 1 Kwik Sew the McCalls & Butterick are gone, anyone know why?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 AM

I haven't been to Joann's since last Fall. After moving my sewing room downstairs and discovering how much I have in my stash, I'm trying to shop at home. A lot of it I didn't even know I had. I found a real cute Debbie Mumm print called Creative woman and the coordinate. I made a bow tuck purse out of it
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 AM

The joanns by me changed from a small regular one to a super one. They still have all the quilting notions, books, and magazines. What has changed is that they definitely cut exactly 36" even if the other edge is crooked. I have put in a complaint about this.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 AM

I have had some fabric so crocked that when I got home it was so bad I took it back and they recut me a piece no questions asked. When I buy a yard of fabric I need a yard, not a yard on one side and 3/4 yard on the other. If they spent a smudge more time making sure the fabric was straight they would not have a problem. I am glad you complained about it, hopefully it will change for you.

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
The joanns by me changed from a small regular one to a super one. They still have all the quilting notions, books, and magazines. What has changed is that they definitely cut exactly 36" even if the other edge is crooked. I have put in a complaint about this.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 AM

I sure hope this isn't true of our JoAnnes. Our store just grew a lot bigger and has a lot more crafty type things for scrap booking and other hand crafting kinds of things.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 AM

The last time I was in a Jo Ann's ( a few weeks ago) there was alot less quilting fabrics. I am not a big fan of their quilting fabrics , but do look when I am there for the other "stuff" that goes into sewing projects. I did notice the quilting notions section was looking a bit sparse , but thought it maybe they just had some kind of sale and had not restocked.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 AM

Default JoAnns Alternative for quilting supplies

If you have a Super Wal Mart near you that has a fabric section, they do have some rotary cutters, basic rulers etc. The thread they carry is of an inferior quality (at least here in suburban Milwaukee)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 AM

Hmmm gonna have to take a run there.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 AM

I have to agree with you. They just redid our joanns and it is awful. The choice of fabrics is nothing outstanding and the prices are the same as our LQS. The Christmas fabric was not best so I resorted to buying it online a a quilt shop. The only thing I now buy in Joanns are notion as I use a 50% off coupon. Otherwise i shop at the LQS as I know htey stand by there products.