Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you checked out JoAnn's lately? >

Have you checked out JoAnn's lately?

Have you checked out JoAnn's lately?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:23 PM

I'm like the other member. I avoid Joanne's like the plaque. The local one is 3 miles away. The next closest is 100 miles away. The people who work in the local store are rude. I have been there with a ticket to get fabric cut. A woman walked up to the counter said she had been waiting a long time had no ticket and they took her. I now go only if I absolutely can't get something at LQS or Wal-Mart or Michael's.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Have planned to go there tomorrow Thursday, so I will check it out.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM

I was in JoAnn's in Daytona Beach today and it was same as always, even seemed like a lot of new cottons. Prices are high on the really good quality fabric, but it is everywhere. Sorry your store has changed so much.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM

I opened some fat quarters to use in a christmas project and the quality of the fabric wasn't the greatest. One of them was so cheezy that I wasn't sure it could withstand the project.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:03 PM

I hadn't been to Joanns for quite some time, and needed to go there for a particular item. It was an eye opener not because of deletions in the goods, but the increase in it. and they flip-flopped the store. What was the craft is now decorationg fabrics, what was decorating fabrics is now crafts.
They also changed the cutting table. The store previously could have 4 people cutting, now only 2 can cut as there are only two tables. And you have to get a number to be waited on for your fabrics to be cut, and you can continue to shop before your number comes up as they announce the number. So you could have to wait for someone to show up from the other end of the store to come to the table.
Then, there is the single line and wait for the next available checker. 4 places to check, only 2 checking for a weekend day. This is also where returns are done.
Mind you I know that each of us have the right to shop and have our own time at each station, but it was 20 minutes to wait for a cashier so i could spend $8.00.
Just shoot me and put me out of my misery if I say I'm going back there.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM

I haven't been to the most local one in a couple months but they still had a large supply of quilitng items from books, dvd's, chalk templates, ect. I usally order online anyways because I think JoAnn's prices are getting to expensive for the quality of fabric they are now carrying for quilters. I can get it cheaper at WM. Beside I love some of the online stores.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM

The Super JoAnns on Indy's westside is moving across the parking lot into a free standing building that previously housed a Sofa Express furniture store. Supposedly it has less floor space than they currently have inbetween a Super Target and an appliance store. They will close for 2 days and reopen on Feb 2 I've been told with all new fixtures, etc. I'm anxious to see how it's arranged and if there is any changes to their inventory. I've been pleased in the past with what they carry (usually) and most of their help has been there for quite awhile and are quite friendly. Last week there was probably 15 or 20 cars in the new parking lot working on getting things ready. They hired new people temporarily for the move.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM

I am very disappointed in Joann's. I went to the one here in Eustis / Mt. Dora FL and was so sad to see so little fabric. Only about 1/10 of what they used to have. The quilting section is sad to say the least. And the fabrics are very pricey. But, then our Walmart isn't a great thing either with their fabric department. Guess I'll be orderin on line when I get some money. Good thing I bought so much 10 + years ago when fabric was cheap and I had money. Now all I need is a special fabric once in awhile.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Anna O View Post
I haven't been to our JoAnn's lately, but I'll certainly have to check it out. The last time I was in there I did notice their prices have sure gone up. I'm now checking out Hancock's first, especially since they take competitor's coupons.
Joann's does takes competitor's coupons. They also have a VIP program that if you belong to a quilt guild you can sign up and get a 10% discount off your total purchase even with your discount coupons. A lot of the Joann stores don't advertise it, you have to ask. If you are a teacher and can show a valid credential you will get a 15 % total discount. Don't let them tell you they don't know. Ask for the Mrg then because these programs are in place.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:39 PM

I haven't been in several weeks, and my last visit alot of items had not been restocked since the holidays. Two ladies at the cutting counter, one trying to do her job and the other complaining that she didn't put the fabric in the correct bin for return to the shelves. If she had time to complain she should have waited on customers and used her energy efficiently.