Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever done an I-Spy quilt? >

Have you ever done an I-Spy quilt?

Have you ever done an I-Spy quilt?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maire
Acckk, I'm doing something wrong in trying to attach the picture, can't get it to attach, following the directions but I'm probably missing a basic step. I'll try again after I get back from granddaughter's softball game.
Maire

That is one cute quilt!!!!! I've never done an I-Spy, partly because I have no kids (though nieces and such) and because I don't want to collect so many different fabrics....
I think putting mini-kits/charm packs together would be a great idea! Might even make me do one! :) Go for it, Favorite Fabrics!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:59 PM

I collected mine for about 6 months....every time I went into a place that sold fabric, I would check it out. Also, I had two quilting friends that had made I Spy quilts also, and they gave me their leftovers. I still have enough to do another one or two.....when I get around to it. Other quilts have gotten ahead "in line."
Old 07-10-2010, 01:45 PM

I think that fat eighths should be 9" x 20" -- a quarter yard cut in half.
It gives a lot of ways to use the fabric and so on.
Fat eighths cut that way would be great to use for I Spy quilts.

I've done 3 I Spy quilts with larger hexagons and triangles. Most of it I could get from fabric remnants I had from other projects. Some I bought fabric for. Some I bought fabric for other projects and enough to cut hexagons from too. Loved fabrics where I could get several different hexes from the same fabric. <G>

Pati, in Phx
Old 07-10-2010, 02:33 PM

I have only done 1 I Spy quilt, it was dor my DGD. I used 5" finished blocks with sashing . I shopped at various stores to finally have enough blocks. I also used the printer fabric to do pictures of her cousins. parents, grandparent, aunts and uncles. Everyone loved it. I am now planning to do some for charity and would love to find fat eights or squares at one place. Go for it!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:41 PM

I did one last year I appliqued circles onto 6.5 inch squares of white Hope the pic shows some of the fabrics. Lots were scraps from friends and finished projects. I`m one of those quilters that keeps small scraps so I end up with a lot of *donations*
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79232.jpe  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 PM

I agree about the bundling of various sizes. I know I would prefer smaller bundles that way I can afford several kinds.

I agree about the bundling of various sizes. I know I would prefer smaller bundles that way I can afford several kinds.

Originally Posted by KellyK
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
What do you think of these, for groupings? I'm thinking of bundling eight fabrics together, and then people could choose however many groups they thought they might need:

- fruits
- veggies
- junk food & sweets
- domesticated animals (farm animals, cats & dogs)
- wild animals
- sea creatures
- birds & bugs
- religious (in case anyone was doing a baptism/christening gift)
- sports
- holidays
- household objects (tools, toys, etc.)
- "things that go"
- "girly"
- summer/beach
- music

What have I missed, that might be useful?
I think fruits could go with veggies as someone interested in either would probably want both.

I think it would also be nice to offer more variation in packaging... say three, five, or eight in each category.

I would probably be in the market of three from several categories but would not want eight from music.

Hope that makes sense, others may have diff viewpoints of course!
:thumbup:
Old 07-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsew

Could you cut them down into smaller squares, say 4 1/2 or 5 in.? You could still make an I Spy quilt using smaller squares !
Sorry sewnsew, I didn't see your question sooner.

Yes, the squares technically could have been cut smaller. The problem was how they were cut in relation to the design of the print. In many cases, the central design that you would used was cut in half.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:02 PM

I love the idea and would buy a package in a heartbeat. I'm in the process of collecting fabric and had great response on this board from very generous members who have sent me I Spy squares. Folks here are great about sharing.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM

I made my gd's each a "Where's ????" quilt, fashioned after the "Where's Waldo books. In their quilts I used 4 inch squares and made the quilt 18 squares across by 20 squares down, all different. When I gave them the quilts I also gave them a list of things to find. The adults had as much fun finding the different things and the two recepients.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
What do you think of these, for groupings? I'm thinking of bundling eight fabrics together, and then people could choose however many groups they thought they might need:

- fruits
- veggies
- junk food & sweets
- domesticated animals (farm animals, cats & dogs)
- wild animals
- sea creatures
- birds & bugs
- religious (in case anyone was doing a baptism/christening gift)
- sports
- holidays
- household objects (tools, toys, etc.)
- "things that go"
- "girly"
- summer/beach
- music

What have I missed, that might be useful?
What about "boy" squares? I make both "boy" and "girl" quilts and donate them to hospitals. I like different fabrics for each. I have a hard time finding enough for each category.