Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever done an I-Spy quilt? >

Have you ever done an I-Spy quilt?

Have you ever done an I-Spy quilt?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 PM

I was taking my son to school one day, I saw a sign for a garage sale. Decided to go, I found a plastic bag of fabric for 2.00. When I got home and opened it up, there was fabric for every month theme. I decided to try a I Spy. I cut my pieces to different sizes, guess I was doing a scrappy, and didn't know I was. I did the quilts for two of my friends daughters. I asked their moms for a picture that I also included in the quilts. I wrote a story and told them that every word that was underline they had to find. One was about a princess, underline (had the word princess) who woke up, changes her pajamas (underlined), brush (underlined) her hair, the story went on to celebrate her birthday and the rest of the day. Each story was different. I also did one for my nephew, his was on military. They all had fun and their parents really enjoyed them.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

No but I want to do one when I have grandchildren when they are at the right age.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

No but I want to do one when I have grandchildren when they are at the right age.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 PM

I was in charge of one of our guild community quilt program last year for the sheriff's office home for abused spouses & children. I picked the I-Spy pattern and bought solid bright Kona cottons for all the corners and approximately 20 yards of different child appropriate fabrics. I prewashed & ironed ALL of that and recruited two guild sisters to help me cut it out for kits. It was a great success as we made over 60 quilts. The deputies also carry 2 or 3 of the quilts in their cruisers so that when they have to remove a child from a home (parents arrested), they give them a quilt to keep. Officers report that the quilts seem to really help with the transition and they are very grateful.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:58 AM

I would love to buy boy bundles. I would also be interested in characters like Sponge Bob,Spiderman etc.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Location: keeping the home fire burning and waiting for my son's safe return

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
I did one last year I appliqued circles onto 6.5 inch squares of white
Oh, I love this idea! I've not thought to use circles in my I-spys...hope you don't mind if i copy you :D
Old 07-11-2010, 02:51 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Alright... I've put together eight groups, to "test the waters" and see how it goes.

They are:
food
farm animals
wild animals
birds
vehicles
religious
sports
and brights (just for fun.)

They're on the website now, let's see what happens!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM

I would love to swap with others.
I am making a quilt for a single young mother. She grooms dogs for a living so I am looking for fabric with dogs on it.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM

You might also try reptiles and dinosaurs. Here is my I SPY quilt I made for my niece. Sometimes the fabric will have to be fussy cut, but sometimes the fabric is better if it is an overall pattern.

I Spy Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76758[/ATTACH]

I Spy closeup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76759[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76753.jpe   attachment-76754.jpe  
Old 07-15-2010, 12:55 PM

I have made a couple of I SPY quilts..I got packets of squares off of ebay..They were really a good price..Just go to ebay and type in I SPY QUILTSin the search...
You will get a great assortment..
p38flygirl