Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever fallen in love with fabric you don't want to cut it?

why feel guilty if you have a peice of fabric that brings you joy to look at---- go on looking--
    it is after all someones design [ART] made to make you feel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMaris View Post
    I have way more than I need of fabric like that. I am going to start selling it off soon. I figure that if someone wants to make something out of it it will go to a better home and be used...LOL. Lets see what I actually part with...LOL.
    Can't wait to see your posting in the Thrift shop/Yard sale category!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I have one that I started to use in a mystery quilt and just couldn't - it's just too pretty to use when the end product isn't known. I will cut it when I can use a pattern that will showcase it. Warm Wishes, maybe.

I just bought some beautiful fabric for a wall hanging. It's actually in fat quarters. They are folded into triangles to stack and then they are tied together to for a star. I hate to break up the star of fat quarters in order to cut up ... but the wall hanging will look so pretty! Now if I could just learn to quilt!

Fabric you love and don't want to cut?

I'm finding I make a much better collector than a cutter of fabrics. I just love looking at them, touching them, folding and re-folding, etc. Guess I would get more cut and sewn if I spent less time looking at everyone else's work on this board. LOL

Blog Entries
    Yes, there are some that are just too pretty to cut!

Blog Entries
    I fell madly in love with a particular pattern when dh and I were in a LQS. I stated "We need to get out of here right now." As we were driving away he asked why we had to leave so quickly. I informed him that I wanted to buy the whole bolt (16 yds), and had to leave before I did. He said I could buy anything that I wanted to buy. So I returned in a few days during a shop hop with my ds(10 yrs old at the time). He carried the bolt of fabric for me and he went right to the purchase counter. The employee stated that he needed to go to the cutting counter and my ds stated "No we don't. We're taking the whole thing." The woman behind the counter was surprised and shocked. Have used it as a backing a couple of times. Still absolutely LOVE it!!!
    Go forth and sew!

all the time!!!!

Blog Entries
    You may not realize it, but this is how a "stash" is born.

Some people's kids just dont' understand, but some fabric IS too precious to cut into.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    I had a beautiful piece I got when I first got back into quilting. Purple,green,yellow, with a criss-cross yellow running through it. I just COULD NOT bring myself to defile it by cutting into it. Finally, last year I steeled myself and put it into an Ricky Tims' Harmonic Convergence. And I am glad I got brave enough to do it. I used a good bit of it so it really shows.
    I now have a number of those "Waiting for the perfect design" fabrics....What's a gal to do???

Quote Originally Posted by OKLAHOMA PEACH View Post
    I love pretty fabric! Have a few pieces, just because they are so pretty, no plans to use, just so pretty. Maybe stretch and put on a frame and hang, yes maybe so.
    This reminds me of a photo I saw on a blog (http://www.purlbee.com/swatch-portra...portraits.html ) . A wall decorated with embroidery hoops with pieces of gorgeous fabric stretched in them. Different sizes, big prints, small prints....unbelievably gorgeous in a sewing room.
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Oh yes! And DH questions why I dsbuy more....because I can...hehehe

Yep! Bought a "Quilt for the Cure" kit in 2005 with beautiful roses. Could not bear to cut into the rose fabric. Finally in 2010 decided to do the pieced blocks with the other fabrics and see how that went. When I finally got around to cutting the rose fabric I found that there was not enough room to fussy cut all the squares of roses without piecing some corners. I was very disapointed! Quilt was finally finished (handquilted) about a month ago. It is lovely if you don't look too close at the rose blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    oh...like the 300+ civil war FQ's, or the 200+ 30's repro FQ's or the 150+ Asian FQ's....yep..collections....
    Too funny as I can relate. There is a book out called Just Can't cut it but it hasn't helped me move forward...lol.
    Linda

Absolutely and I still have it! I know that at some point a special quilt will come along and then that special fabric will be the perfect piece to add. Until then I just pet the fabric and enjoy the feelings I get when I see the colors and print that I love so much.

I have some that I just can't cut and not big peices so now what do i do??????????????
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

I have a piece of fabric - a wisteria print - that I use as a table cover over my piles of "stuff" in the corner. I've thought of buying a picture frame that I could use for changing out fabric samples.
    Ruth

LMB
    I have three yards of japan made silk print. It is red with different colored butterflys. It was a gift from an instructor I had when I audited his company. He often traveled to Japan and thought the fabric would be nice as he knew I liked to sew. I have had it for about 10 years... in perfect condition... and for the life of me I cant bring myself to cut it. It is something I pull out and look at with good memories. Maybe someday.
    I never met a quilt I didnt love.

Blog Entries
    All the time, all the time....

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    oh...like the 300+ civil war FQ's, or the 200+ 30's repro FQ's or the 150+ Asian FQ's....yep..collections....
    Yup! I am with you. I do find projects I use them in but I am hesitant to use any of it untill I have done that perfect project. I am trying to break that habit.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
    I am just glad I am not the only one...the ones I find hard to cut are my batiks....been collecting a few along for years. I am trying to get up the nerve to start using them. I have used a few in baby quilts for my granddaughter and for my nephew...but that is it. and not very many at that.
    I just joined this swap and am finaly after 10 years making my first all batik blocks.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...~-t184834.html
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
    I have fallen in love with a few purchases of fabric I just can't bare to cut. One is just "quilted" using a walking foot.. yes, it is more like a blanket.. but some of the fabric is just BEAUTIFUL !
    Oh my gosh, yes. All the time which is why I have such a lg. stash. I've had some pcs. for yrs. that are still sitting folded on the shelf. Seems really foolish right now. With some things, I make tableclothes so if I ever decide to use them for quilts they're still in one lg. pc. Also, that way, I get to look at it.

Fabric so beautiful you could just wallow in it.
    Fabric so colorful you bask in the glow.
    Fabric so silky you want to rub it all over yourself.
    Fabric so old you can see the ladies in their leg-o-mutton sleeves.
    Fabric so graphically printed you can smell the rabbit pellets.
    Fabric so precious saved by your grandmother.
    Fabric so full of memories of the clothing mother made for you.

Lots of them!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast