Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever fallen in love with fabric you don't want to cut it?

I have one with small daisies all over it with a lot of green. Have had it a while, but just saw the last part of the McCalls mystery quilt and as soon as I finish my red one, I will use it in a green one for my oldest daughter. Sometimes it just takes the right project to come along. smile.

There is a pattern called, "Just Can't Cut it." Very appropriate! It uses big block of the beautiful fabrics. Also, on yesterday's QB there is a photo of a "Big Quilt," that has 14" blocks. Very nice quilt, and showcases your beautiful fabrics. I have several that are hard to cut, and some haven't been cut yet!

Blog Entries
    I have a piece of fabric that I bought in 1966 that I still can't bear to think of cutting up - long before I even THOUGHT about quilting. My daughter and granddaughter have both seen it and just shake their heads. 'Make something with it.' But they don't make suggestions or say 'Make something FOR ME.' One of them will probably have to decide some day, and THEY BETTER NOT JUST GIVE IT TO GOOD WILL!!!!1

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Until the right pattern came along which begged for that previously uncuttable fabric. So yes, I had that happen and I ended up using it.

Blog Entries
    I thought I was the only one on the planet like that.........I feel so at home
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    My daughter has. She doesn't sew, but wanted to learn to quilt. She can't bring herself to cutting some of the fabric she purchased. Maybe she can quilt it as a whole cloth quilt. Glad you mentioned it. I will pass this along to her. Maybe there is hope after all.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

MANY years ago Disneyland had a Pendleton wool shop. My mother and I were admiring all the wonderful wool which was about $10.00 a yard at the time. She wanted to buy me a few yards so I could make a suit for work. We were almost to the counter with the most beautiful fabric and I said she couldn't buy it. But she was saying what a beautiful color, the wool was so nice why shouldn't she buy it for me. And I said I would never be able to cut it to make anything. I wish I had gotten it - never found Pendleton fabric after that. But it would still be sitting there only being admired.

Oh, yes and I am sure that is why there are several books on the market about that. One is "Just Can't Cut It: Quilts from Fabulous Fabrics". I have yet to buy, but I am with MaryMo about collecting fabric.

I have a lot of batiks that I bought in Hawaii that I can't make myself cut. I'm sure when I find a pattern that "speaks to me" I will cut it up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I have some waiting for just the right project, then I will have no problem cutting it.
    LOL, this is what I also tell myself. A good 1/6th of my stash is composed of just such fabrics.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Dee
    Yes. I have many that I can't bring myself to cut up.

Blog Entries
    Yes. Oh wait, I think it's just that there isn't enough time to work on that project.
    The Quilting Bear

yes i am guilty of doing this that could be why i have so much "stash" but i know the day will come the perfect pattern will come to me and i will have the perfect fabric to use for it

I have one piece that I bought in the late seventies that I can't bare to cut. I bought if for a blouse and there it sits. I haven't found the right pattern to use it with. I'll probably die and my family will remark about how old it is! LOL

That is me.

Of course, don't we all! Mine are mostly florals. Lovvvvve florals!

Geez Louise I thought it was just me. I have a beautiful piece of Asian fabric that I just don't have the heart to cut. I bought to put in an Asian quilt I was making and there it sits in my stash. I only ever saw this fabric once maybe that also had something to do with it. However that's before I started shopping online.

I have lots of them, but when I see the right thing, I'll know. All of them are just waiting on their next lifestage. LOL!

Yes, I was given a gorgeous piece of green (not even a favorite color) Christmas fabric with ornaments woven into the design. It's sort of a satin & I keep trying to think of a special pattern to use it in without cutting it too small to get the full effect, but as yet couldn't do it. Someday.... sure I will! LOL!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I have some fabrics that I'm always looking for to keep in my stash and use them sparingly. LOL!!There sure are a lot of beautiful fabrics out there!

Yup! I'd love to have more of it. Hehe

Actually I have fallen in love with fabric and bought it multiple times. Hee! Hee! However, I did cut into it. One was a piece from Joann's. It was a on a muted gold background (think fall) with flowers in deep purple, burgundy and moss green leaves. Another was a pale pink rose tone on tone fabric.

Oh, Gosh! I just read this question and laughed out loud! Ummm.....YES, I must confess: I have MANY pieces of fabric that are so pretty I don't want to cut them!!! I'm sure that eventually I will find just the "right" project to use them in.... Eventually. And....in the meantime.....I just keep gathering/collecting.... LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
    I have fallen in love with a few purchases of fabric I just can't bare to cut. One is just "quilted" using a walking foot.. yes, it is more like a blanket.. but some of the fabric is just BEAUTIFUL !
    Probably 10 years ago, I bought some fabulous butterfly fabric. I used half of it to make a baby blanket---------the rest will remain uncut!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I have some fabric from somebody's hippie days. It might have been sheets - I don't really know. Anyway it is so awful nobody would want to cut it. I did use a couple pieces of it to make a bottom of a jeans skirt - it is a sight. Some fabric is too pretty and some just way too ugly.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast