Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice? >

Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice?

Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by MerryQuilter
Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
I've made several pinwheel quilts, potato chip quilts, and the log cabin heart quilts, but never the same colors.
Never heard of potato chip pattern, what is it like?
Wesing explained the pattern. It only takes two colors, and it makes a nice baby quilt or lap quilt. It really is fun to make, and you don't get bored with it.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:29 AM

[quote=Maybe1day]Yes : I have twin beds in one of my guest bedrooms and so I made two matching quilts for this room.

Oops! This post reminded me that I have done other duplicates on purpose. It's just been so long since my kids were little enough to share rooms & bunks, I completely forgot. Old-timers ?? But yes when my boys were little a matched pair of quilts for their bunk beds - which are still on the same bunks actually, just nobody uses them & they are in the back corner of the basement bunkroom. Then when the girls shared a room and the same passion for pink & purple, I painted their room white & DH airbrushed pink & purple stripes. I made matching pink/purple reversible comforters, dust ruffles, curtains, etc... Those are still in a cupboard also. I'm a packrat, that is starting to get ready to start parting w/some of this stuff. I've been waiting for the day when I'd want to use them for the rest of the g'kids I guess.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 AM

I've made more than one of a pattern but it's never the same quilt!!! Different fabrics, change the size of the pieces, add/remove sashing/border etc.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Yes, I h have made the "Trip Around the World" pattern 3 times, just becuz I like it
Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 AM

At times I have been known to make about three of the same design for gifts.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Right now my project is making 6 quilts for my cousins grandchildren...they are all the same pattern, but making it in different fabrics didn't make it boring at all. Each has a look of their own.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 AM

I give almost everything I make as gifts -( In 20 years of quilting, I have one king and 2 lap quilts.) I have used several patterns multiple times - Yellow Brick Road, Disappearing 9-patch and
Bento Box - since I can just make them without the pattern in front of me. The first two are much faster, the third great, tho, when I have a lot of batik left overs. Sometimes, how much time I have to complete the gift determines which pattern I make.
M.E.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM

i use the 4 patch pattern from downy quilts for kids all the time, did the one they sent & a couple more frm my stash & sent those out,.. made a couple more for project linus...

made it w/horsey fabric for oldest dgd to take to kindergarden for naptime, w/a matching pillow.

made it with some size variations for my friend michele's sil who was dying of cancer... 5" blocks rather than 6" to accomadate a particular fabric, just made more blocks to make it longer & wider... fused some photos on it, zig zaged a "frame" around them... done in 1 day... i was stunned when i went to the wake & they had it draped over the lower half of the casket & then buried it with her...that was the most humbled i've been in a long, long time.

working on another variation using the lorilie nursing panel for a friend of mine who passed her boards..the panel cuts up to rectangles, and i am collecting fabrics to make the 4 patchs...even if they are rectangular rather than square...

youngest dd has been accepted to umass lowell... we will be going up there in the next couple weekends to ck out the campus... dad the worrier is concerned because lowell is a tough town... i hope to get to the bookstore and get her a t'shirt, so i can get an idea of the colors... then she will be getting one for her dorm room.... maybe they still make those scrubs with the school logo on them like they did years ago & i can get some for the large patches in this pattern...

her 2 best friend are also going there, so i am afraid i will wind up making 3 of them... hence the easy pattern!

thank god those don't have to be done until end of summer.... i'm so far behind now, i think i'm first!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 PM

(quote) "made it with some size variations for my friend michele's sil who was dying of cancer... 5" blocks rather than 6" to accomadate a particular fabric, just made more blocks to make it longer & wider... fused some photos on it, zig zaged a "frame" around them... done in 1 day... i was stunned when i went to the wake & they had it draped over the lower half of the casket & then buried it with her...that was the most humbled i've been in a long, long time. "

What an honor!! She must have treasured that quilt! You brought her a great deal of comfort and you should be proud of that. Thank you for doing that for her.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 PM

I always say I'm going to make the same pattern more than once, but in different colors, but I never do.....