Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have You Ever Made a Second One? >

Have You Ever Made a Second One?

Have You Ever Made a Second One?

Old 10-02-2019, 05:40 AM

I very rarely repeat a quilt but I'm often tempted to just for opportunity to do it "the right way".

Sometimes I come very close to a perfect quilt, but it seems that I am always have learned/desired to do something differently and I have learned to accept that.

All these years and quilts later and I always learn something, some times it's more about me or the recipient than it is about quilting, but there's always something.

If you are destined to remake that quilt, it will come to you -- you won't have to go to it. Learn and grow and go on to the next!

The comments about painters is very true, is also true about photos, a photographer can take thousands of related pictures for that one special shot -- no need to feel bad if our one and done snapshots aren't cover quality.

How about a compromise, what about just remaking one unit of whatever you wish to do. You don't ever have to do anything with it ever again, others than just for the purpose of a masters test. Not everything we do needs to end up as a quilt. I do things for fun or skill building or just for fun and I try to turn them into quilts but some things were never destined to end that way. Like I know I'm going to make some "Bad Sue" blocks, probably not enough to make a quilt, maybe enough to make a wall hanging -- all I know is I have 6-7 blocks in me waiting to come out!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:07 AM

The quilt is beautiful as well as stunning and I am sure it was beyond challenging ! Congrats on the ribbon.

So are you dissatisfied with the technical issues in construction or the design?

Imho I would take my knowledge and move on unless you are so unhappy with the results and whatever errors you see are so glaringly obvious you can not live with it. The I would tackle a redesign - stressing those issues that I struggled with the first time. Only you can answer that question .....

by the way - how big is it??
Old 10-02-2019, 07:02 AM

Your quilt is so beautiful but I know I would never make a second one.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 AM

Yes, I often repeat challenging quilt projects in new color ways to improve upon techniques.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I agree. I've 3 partial Dear Janes to finish. I'm thinking, though of starting from scratch, and finishing this time, to make another. I've learned so much since then and am more confident to make a better quilt.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I have a Dear Jane quilt that I have finished the top but haven't quilted it yet. And Part of me wants to start another one because I learned so much doing that one that you can see the difference between blocks I made just starting out and towards the end. But another part of me does knows that quilt jut shows how I have grown.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:50 AM

I can't really answer your question because I'm lucky if I can get done the first time but wanted to say your quilt is very beautiful!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-02-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 AM

I would do it as many times as I wanted to. Change what ever, do it in solids prints, what ever. do it to please you, if you learn some thing each time then it was so worth it. JMHO
Old 10-02-2019, 10:45 AM

I rarely do the same quilt pattern twice but then you go to Bonnie Hunter's site and her patterns look so different when you see them in various colors and fabrics. I've done her Pineapple Blossom twice as well as her Majestic Mtn pattern. Just by changing the border effect will make it look totally different from anyone else's.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Congratulations on the red ribbon - I love the quilt.

I have re-done patterns because I love the pattern and want to see if I can make it look like a different quilt by playing with the colors or because I want to try to make it "better". Sometimes I like the new result and sometimes I don't finish the quilt because I liked the first one better or I got bored with the pattern and wanted to move on.

Maybe you can make a couple of blocks and see how you feel.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:07 PM

I love Red Garnet 222's reply. So well-spoken and I agree with her response 100%. I have two quilt tops that are nearly exactly alike. I started these quilts when my GD was 12 and my GGD was 10. They are now 13 and 15. I call them "Dolphin" quilts as they have dolphins appliquéd on them. However, the most striking appliqué on both is the mermaid sitting on a rock. I couldn't do one and not the other so did one for both. They are my next projects to finish. Sometimes, you just have to make more than one. For whatever reason. (Here they are. Not sure why they ended up on their sides.) BTW! I love your quilt. It is exquisite. Thankfully, most people have no clue what you did wrong or how long it took you, or how many mistakes you made. Quilts are just so forgiving!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618051[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]618052[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dolphin-quilt-1.jpg   dolphin-quilt-2.jpg