Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever put your thread in the freezer? >

Have you ever put your thread in the freezer?

Have you ever put your thread in the freezer?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:58 AM

Yes I have once and it worked beautifully..freezer over night!!
Diana
Tranquil Quilting-MI
Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Okay, it has just taken me five minutes to be able to type a reply.my iPad keys were frozen!,,,
I was going to say I put a drop of thread oil on needle tip and in my bobbin, around a and on thread and finally a few drops on my thread and massage in gently and leave to make a drink before sewing. Never had trouble in any way.
The " ...leave to make a drink." statement and then never have any trouble part make me wonder what is in that drink? Some drinks go down easier than others and help to decrease tension and stress. Could it be it was the DRINK and not the oil that was helpful? LOL
Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 AM

If that thread needs to be reconstitued with oil or frozen to use, why won't it just get dried out and break again. I'm of the opinion that the thread must be old and I would rather throw it away than take the chance of it breaking again. If I have to do the above mentioned in order to use the thread, I'd find another brand. That's just me.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 AM

I had some really old thread and it kept breaking so I tried this and it didn't do a thing. So I bought the same type of thread new and had the same issue. I then changed they size and type of needle and no more problems.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
I've used Sewers Helper, which is Silicone...but I cannot say it helps that much. Maybe I will try the mineral oil next time.
this is not recommended for a lot of newer computerized machines so I won't use it.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 AM

Have not tried the freezer, but I keep the clear mineral oil in a small tupperware container with a pastry brush next to my machines, and haven't had a problem since I've used that method. Walgreens carries the clear oil- cheap and NO problems even on silk!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Are you using the right needle for that particular thread? Incorrect needles are the most common cause of thread breakage, not dryness...especially if your thread passes the tug test, meaning it does not break when you pull on it.
I'm using the size needle suggested by the manufacturer. I didn't receive any information with the thread.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by JBeamer View Post
The " ...leave to make a drink." statement and then never have any trouble part make me wonder what is in that drink? Some drinks go down easier than others and help to decrease tension and stress. Could it be it was the DRINK and not the oil that was helpful? LOL
If I don't find the solution, it might drive me to drink. Trouble is.... all I got in the house is a little "toothache medicine"
Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
Have not tried the freezer, but I keep the clear mineral oil in a small tupperware container with a pastry brush next to my machines, and haven't had a problem since I've used that method. Walgreens carries the clear oil- cheap and NO problems even on silk!
hummmmm. Well, I guess it is worth a try too. I just have this stigmatism that it will make my thread oily.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I read in my manual that if I had problems with thread breakage, it could be that my thread had dried out. It stated that you can put your thread in the freezer and it will rehydrate it and make it strong again and you will have less breakage. Have any of you ever put your thread in the freezer? If so, what kind of results have you had with it afterward? Did it help?
Have been reading some of your answers here. I was told to put thread in the freezer in a plastic bag with a few drops of water in the bag. It did help. I also have a gallon of silicon which you dip your thread in and it makes a huge difference in breakage, but does darken your colors. I usually test the strength of my threads first. Also, it seems some quilt collections are sending out alarms about cotton threads. They are breaking down and ruining good quilts. I've always used cotton, but will switch to poly now - before poly was too strong and tore cotton fibers. I know Jamie Wallen loves Isacord. I use it in my embroidery so it's ok with me too. lol