Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you found your "perfect" machine? >

Have you found your "perfect" machine?

Have you found your "perfect" machine?

Old 04-20-2015, 05:18 PM

My very best machine of all time was a Pfaff 1471. After she died I got a Bernina which I do love and also have newer P
faffs which are nice but not quite the same. I have had more than one Janome and just can't bond with them.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM

I just love my Bernina 830 , learning new things all the time , even after 6 years my Bernina store still gives us free lesson on this machine 3-4 times a year , it is lovely to get together with ladies who have this machine for a few hours and talk machines . Cathy
Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
My very best machine of all time was a Pfaff 1471. After she died I got a Bernina which I do love and also have newer P
faffs which are nice but not quite the same. I have had more than one Janome and just can't bond with them.
I also have a Pfaff 1471. I am very fond of it.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:29 PM

Sewing machines are like kitchens, every woman has their own way to arrange it and with the machine, everyone has the one that they feel is the best, but that is for them, not you.

I used to sew on Viking, then I switched to Brother. I own a Brother project runway little embroidery machine, Brother Cs6000 and my workhorse that I LOVE LOVE LOVE is my Brother Quilt Club 1000. I quilt on a Juki 98E and am saving my pennies for the Juki QVP . I have several antique machines that sit and look pretty and only one serger.

Here is the bottom line, test drive the machine in the store, go to all the dealers and test drive. It took me almost 6 months to decide on my 1st machine and then when I switched to Brother, I did it in a heart beat. It is all in what tickles your fancy at the moment!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 PM

I think your like me, you're a Pfaff gal. I was so used to the IDT, the piercing power of the machine, the scant 1/4" foot, that I couldn't get used to anything else. I tried Viking, Janome, Brother, but finally went back to Pfaff. I have a 4.0 and a Passport. I do have a Brother PQ-1500s and I use that mostly for putting on bindings. It does go though the fabrics and I do like it for piecing, but I would grab a Pfaff first. I think the Brother PQ-1500s and the Juki 2010q work well because they have solid feet. It was those wiggly snap on feet I didn't care for...the Pfaff may be snap on, but once the IDT is engaged they are solid.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by aeble View Post
My is my Janome Horizon 7700. It hasn't let me down yet. If I can think it, it can do it. Even Sewing several pieces of thick wool felt when making a custom laptop bag.
Interesting. I have a 7700 and love it on the whole, but my one criticism is that it does NOT like sewing through thick fabric or several layers. I tried quilting a top that had lots of quite thick points where several seams came together and it threw a hissy fit. But that's my only criticism - great machine otherwise.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 PM

For piecing, it has to be my Featherweight. My first machine was a Janome 4800 "Quilter's edition": sadly, it wouldn't quilt! Although brilliant for piecing and quilting with a walking foot, it would never do FMQ well, though I struggled with it for several years. I didn't want another Janome after that, but after trying all the machines then available (apart from Berninas, which I can't afford) I reluctantly concluded that the 7700 was the one that felt best to me. I haven't looked back - apart from not liking to sew through thick layers (see my last post) it pieces well and quilts beautifully. I kept the 4800 because it has some decorative stitiches that aren't on the 7700, and still tend to turn to that one when I want to use a walking foot. I also have a Singer 301, which I bought when I was trying to solve the FMQ problem, and that rarely comes out of its case, so I may sell it eventually.
As someone said above, all my machines are my perfect machine - for something!
Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 AM

My favorite machine is my Juki Exceed 600. I bought it 2-1/2 yrs ago. It is the BEST machine I have ever used. The feed dogs are fantastic! I can butt my material closely and there is no swallowing into the feed dogs. I piece and machine quilt with this machine. I jusr finished yesterday a queen size quilt for my daughters wedding gift.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM

I was excited when I saw this thread started because I've been giving thought to a new machine. I was sure you'd all give me a direction but now I'm more confused than ever. You all have such a variety of preferences that I have no idea where to turn now. LOL
Ive had my Viking Platinum 770 for 11 yrs & feel it's struggling
Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM

I was excited when I saw this thread started because I've been giving thought to a new machine. I was sure you'd all give me a direction but now I'm more confused than ever. You all have such a variety of preferences that I have no idea where to turn now. LOL
Ive had my Viking Platinum 770 for 11 yrs & feel it's struggling