Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you found your "perfect" machine? >

Have you found your "perfect" machine?

Have you found your "perfect" machine?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:50 PM

I have a BabyLock Espire, had it since 2007 and love it. They changed the same several years ago to Symphony and I have been informed that it will more than likely be dropped this year. So many more new models are out so some machines get dropped from the lineup.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
Mine WAS my beloved Pfaff 7550 ( the real Ms Grace).
She went to the big fabric store in the sky almost a year ago.
Since then I have tried several other machines, but I just can't seem to "bond" with another machine.

What is your favorite machine for piecing?

*I have tried Singer Featherweight, Babylock, Singer 301.
Right now I'm using my Juki Tl-98q. It's good, but just "not it"
I've been using my Viking Rose since 1996 and hope it has a long life. I hate adjusting to new machines.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:17 AM

I just bought a Janome Skyline, S5 - a basic machine with all the features I need. And, of course, I have my featherweight as my back-up. Love them both.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:44 AM

My Pfaff Performance 5. As well as the IDT which makes a walking foot unnecessary, I have been thoroughly spoilt with the auto-pivot - I'd never buy a machine without this feature now.

Also, the Sensormatic mode for FMQ (where the foot 'floats' over the fabric) is a dream to use. I tried a Bernina with BSR before I purchased the Pfaff and didn't like it - too 'turgid'.

Last edited by Knitette; 03-21-2015 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:19 PM

I love my Pfaff 1209 which is about 30 yrs old or more, and is still going strong. Only two things that every broke and one was the needle threader and the other was the bobbin winder and hubby fixed them both. I also like my Singer 201 which I've only had for about a year and its a 1951 that I bought from Craigs list for 40.00. I think you should look for another Pfaff 7550! I have a newer Pfaff 2034 and it's nice for needle down and a slow speed but it doesn't compare to the 1209.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
My Bernina 830 is awesome for everything including embroidery. I am so happy to own one. At first I didn't like it but stupid me, I didn't know I needed different size needles for different size threads. I have a 401 and another newer machine, but they don't compare.
You were really frustrated with the 830 at first. Bet it feels really good to be able to use it more easily now~
Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 PM

I used a Viking for about 40 years. I sewed clothes for myself and 5 children. I mended everything
and made lots of curtains and drapes, then pieced quilts. I loved that machine. But, last spring I decided to machine applique and wanted a blanket stitch which my Viking didn't have. I had a cracked cam gear replaced and re-homed my Viking to my granddaughter who is thrilled with it. I bought a Bernina 380. I love it. Since I won't be machine quilting or embroidering, it does everything I need. I love the stitch for piecing and the blanket stitch is perfect for applique. I have really enjoyed the knee foot lift for applique. I have also made good use of the blind hem stitch. It is all the machine I need and hope it serves me as well as my Viking did.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:04 PM

Pfaff 2144 updated to 2170. I like customizing the stitches. Had a Brother PQ1500, it got picky about thread so I traded for a Juki TL 2010. I like to piece and quilt on the Juki, but use the Pfaff for embroidering some quilting patterns and most garment sewing plus zigzag stitching if I want it.

I got started with a Pfaff 1471, and I can still program B00L00 stitches.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:02 PM

I'm thrilled with the little White 1620 I picked up last week at the thrift store. 19 bucks, 6 more for a foot. The thing pieces beautifully and it's sooooo quiet.

I haven't had it long but I think it's my favorite now.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
i can't believe all the old sewing machines you ladies use. if it's not quite, and smooth, i don't like it.
So what do you sew with? I think the loudest machine I own is a 2 year old Juki. The quietest and smoothest machine I own is a 1958 Brother Select O Matic. If you didn't see the needle moving you wouldn't know it was running.

My favorite machine is usually whatever one I'm using at the moment, like a few others have said. Mostly it's one of my 14 vintage Brothers, but lately I've been using my Singer 301s. One is a little quieter than the other but the louder one is smoother sewing. Guess they both need another good cleaning.

Cari