Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you heard...New ACCUQUILT GO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    I have never used one of these machines and know little about them. How long of strips do they cut and how does it compare to cutting them with a rotary cutter?
    I have the regular Go! The strips are cut as long as the width of the fabric; how many strips are cut per die depends on the strip width. The 2-1/2" wide strip cutter cuts 3 strips at a time; the 1-1/2" wide cutter cuts 5 strips at a time.

For strips, I cut just one doubled layer at a time; don't know if others try to layer more than that.

The triangle dies are really nice because they nip off the corners to make perfect alignment easier. I can cut 4 layers of fabric at a time. With a triangle die that cuts 4 triangles at a time, one pass through the machine yields 16 perfectly cut triangles with corners nipped off.

Youtube has a lot of video demonstrations. Just be aware that they usually have a lot of fabric waste in the video demo's because they want to demo it fast and don't want to fiddle with alignment. There's very little waste the way I use it.

Blog Entries
    Strips cut at 1" or 2 1/2" I understand, but not sure about triangles. The adv says finished....does that mean as they're cut,or sewn...if that makes sense.I'd like 4 1/2" half square triangles when squared up.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I have never used one of these machines and know little about them. How long of strips do they cut and how does it compare to cutting them with a rotary cutter?
    I have the regular Go! The strips are cut as long as the width of the fabric; how many strips are cut per die depends on the strip width. The 2-1/2" wide strip cutter cuts 3 strips at a time; the 1-1/2" wide cutter cuts 5 strips at a time.

For strips, I cut just one doubled layer at a time; don't know if others try to layer more than that.

The triangle dies are really nice because they nip off the corners to make perfect alignment easier. I can cut 4 layers of fabric at a time. With a triangle die that cuts 4 triangles at a time, one pass through the machine yields 16 perfectly cut triangles with corners nipped off.

Youtube has a lot of video demonstrations. Just be aware that they usually have a lot of fabric waste in the video demo's because they want to demo it fast and don't want to fiddle with alignment. There's very little waste the way I use it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Strips cut at 1" or 2 1/2" I understand, but not sure about triangles. The adv says finished....does that mean as they're cut,or sewn...if that makes sense.I'd like 4 1/2" half square triangles when squared up.
    "Finished" means after they are sewn together. If you sew two of the triangles together, they will measure 4-1/2" square. After they are sewn into a quilt, they will be 4" "finished".

Blog Entries
    Thank you.I hesitated to ask, but couldn't find that info on line.When it comes to spending I like to know what I'm buying. :D

"Finished" means after they are sewn together. If you sew two of the triangles together, they will measure 4-1/2" square. After they are sewn into a quilt, they will be 4" "finished".

Blog Entries
    I got an e-mail ad for the Go Baby! Just seems like a spendy thing to me, but I don't do much applique. I think that would be where it would be good. As far as I am concerned I would rather spend my money on fabric. It would be another thing to store and I have run short on storage space and counter space. Maybe if I didn't have 4 sewing machines, 2 sergers, a blind hemmer, & computer I would have more space. For me it doesn't make sense, but I guess for others it would.

I have a GO and I love the uniform cuts, plus the time it saves. I never realized how off my cuts could be, just a tiny bit, but it makes a difference. If you like applique it can really help. I just finished a quilt with teddy bears, butterflies, and ducks on it, that I would never have made if I had to cut them all out. The baby GO uses all of the applique dies and a lot of the others. I have to agree that I would buy it through Kelly at I Have A Notion. She is wonderful and very helpful, plus she has it for the lowest price I've seen.

Blog Entries
    Wow....you have a lot of machines! I still have counter space & my back will thank me :D .Of course,I'd shop & find the best price.Just wondering if you use all your machines?

I have run short on storage space and counter space. Maybe if I didn't have 4 sewing machines, 2 sergers, a blind hemmer, & computer I would have more space. For me it doesn't make sense, but I guess for others it would.

Blog Entries
    Wow....you have a lot of machines! I still have counter space & my back will thank me :D .Of course,I'd shop & find the best price.Just wondering if you use all your machines?

I have run short on storage space and counter space. Maybe if I didn't have 4 sewing machines, 2 sergers, a blind hemmer, & computer I would have more space. For me it doesn't make sense, but I guess for others it would.
    Yes, I do. Right now the Diamond is quilting a design downloaded off the computer. The Topaz has the walking foot on it for the binding and seaming. The SE is currently winding bobbins, but usually have it ready for any other project needing a different color thread. The old Designer I is my workhorse I usually use for general piecing. The sergers I use periodically, as I do sewing for other people. It is always nice to be able to work on 2 different projects at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I was just watching the video on this...how long does the dye stay sharp? I would love to get it to do the 2 1/2 inch strips.
    There is also a strip cutting machine, saw it in Clotide's catalog, for around $99. Looks good maybe someone has used it and will let us know.

My husband bought me the GO for my birthday! I saw it at a LQS and the lady showed me how to use it and such. I was hooked. I have bought four dies thus far, the mats are interchangeable. I absolutely love it, beautiful cuts! Percise, I just cannot say enough. I also bought a Dresdan Plate Die, I would have never done this pattern if I didn't get it. What ease. My suggestions, look around for best price and buy it! Feel free to PM with any questions.

Blog Entries
    That's great.....I can't seem to work on more than one thing at a time.Used to know a woman who had maybe 15-20 sewing machines. She loved them ,but wasn't a sewer....she just liked sewing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6

Yes, I do. Right now the Diamond is quilting a design downloaded off the computer. The Topaz has the walking foot on it for the binding and seaming. The SE is currently winding bobbins, but usually have it ready for any other project needing a different color thread. The old Designer I is my workhorse I usually use for general piecing. The sergers I use periodically, as I do sewing for other people. It is always nice to be able to work on 2 different projects at a time.

I have two of the original dies. Will they fit in the Go Baby?

I cant wait to see the Go, Baby! I have the Go, and I really love it. It folds up nice, so doesnt take up much space at all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by inletjerry
    I was just watching the video on this...how long does the dye stay sharp? I would love to get it to do the 2 1/2 inch strips.
    There is also a strip cutting machine, saw it in Clotide's catalog, for around $99. Looks good maybe someone has used it and will let us know.
    I think this is the one that many people gave the thumbs down on. One of the problems with it is that it is not sufficiently accurate for quilting. It probably works great for people who need strips for rag rugs.

Blog Entries
    I have the Sunbonnet Sue die but haven't use it yet. I do use have the hexagon and circle dies. Love those. Be sure and watch the youtube videos how to use the dies more then one way! If you have the strip die you can cut the same size square die with it too.

Blog Entries
    There's so much to learn about either Go cutter.Have started a file of info....wish all the owners could have a place for tips etc.Thanks for your posts....can tell you know how to work that cutter.Keep the tips coming.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have the Sunbonnet Sue die but haven't use it yet. I do use have the hexagon and circle dies. Love those. Be sure and watch the youtube videos how to use the dies more then one way! If you have the strip die you can cut the same size square die with it too.

Blog Entries
    There is a group that has tons of info and tips how to use the Go. It's great. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/accucutquilters/

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I did join.Will go there more often to read what they have to say.Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    There is a group that has tons of info and tips how to use the Go. It's great. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/accucutquilters/

Would love to hear some feedback on if its worth it from those who have them. If it is...will have to add it to my Christmas list...my kids can pitch in...
    I have the regular sized Accuquilt GO and I love it. The Go!Baby would be alright, but you cannot use all of the dies because of the size. If you can pick between the two I think you would be happier with the Accuquilt GO!. Good luck in your search. Let me tell you your quilts will go together so much faster, and more fun. Just my honest opinion. Jenelle

"I Have a Notion"has them for $99.Kelly is the owner & great to deal with.She'll ans all questions.
    Tried to give her addy, but mail won't accept it.Just Google & it will pop right up.

Wondering if the holidays will bring even lower prices ? Just a thought. Does the machine come with any die? Check to see if the ones you buy extra will cut the size squares,strips & triangles you use most often in quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by dream56
    I saw the ads and thought the same thing
    The GO!Baby does not come with any dies, but the Accuquilt GO! cutter comes with one. Hope that helps.

I know nothing about these cutters. Wondering what the special mats are used for? Are they needed? I already have a bunch of mats.
    Quote Originally Posted by DebsShelties
    There is a chart link on the site that was first given for the go baby that shows what dies are compatible. The 10 inch ones are not. They made a special 2 wide strip die for this unit.
    You do need the cutting mats that they have, they are not like the mats we use to rotary cut on. These are thicker, and if you don't use a mat you will ruin the cutting blades. Hope this helps.

Can I ask what one you'd buy if you had to choose? I make a lot of runners,throws etc.Very few bed size quilts.I like the 2 1/2" strips....but too cheap to buy the Jelly Rolls :)Also use 3 & 4" half sq triangles.Thanks for sharing.I like hearing from owners of whatever I'm considering.Cutting is starting to give my back fits.
    [/quote]

You can't go wrong with the die cuts for the half square triangles, I use them all the time. However I don't have the strip cutters yet, so I can't comment on them, But I hear many positive comments on other boards. Hope this helps.

I don't have a strip die, but from what I have heard on other boards, it all depends on how you fold you fabric on how long the strips will be. As compared to rotary cutting, I've also heard that they come out perfect with the GO!Cutter.

[quote=inletjerry]

I bought this strip cutting machine, brought it home tested it and it wouldn't cut a thing, took it back the same day. I haven't really heard a good thing about it yet. Just wanted you to be aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnasue
    I have two of the original dies. Will they fit in the Go Baby?
    Which two do you have. On the web site there is a list of what dies can be used in the GO! Baby, maybe that will help. I know any of the larger sized dies will not work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast