Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Have you tried this tip for ironing fabrics?

Have you tried this tip for ironing

To Quilty-Louise, Wow that is an old trick. That's how my mother used to pretreat all of her ironing.

I just spray my fabrics with water from a spray bottle if there are folds or wrinkles. Otherwise, I use a dry iron.
    About 40 years ago I would sprinkle clothes and iron them, since wash and wear clothes came out I only iron/press fabrics and quilt blocks.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    very creative!
    if i have a LOT of ironing to do, I dampen the fabric[s] and roll them up. place in a plastic bag. refrigerate overnight. now, no steaming or spraying needed
    I love this!! My mom used to do this with my dad's white dress shirts, pillow cases, handkerchiefs, napkins.... all those things that she and I used to spend hours ironing. I remember that huge plastic bag taking up so much room in the frig. aaahhh.... good memories - the refrigerator that is, not the ironing..
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    cool idea thank you
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

Power Poster
    Be sure to read the instructions that come with your steam iron as to what kind of water to use.

I don't know WHY it matters, but apparently it does.

Usually my fabrics are smooth enough to fold and put in storage straight from the dryer until I'm ready to use them. THEN I iron/press them.

YOU ARE BRILLIANT! I have been carrying my iron to the faucet, and was proud of myself because my sewing room/guest room has a bath attached. I didn't even have to go out into the hall to get water from another bathroom. LOLOLOL! Boy, do I feel dumb!

Now the tank on my iron holds 12 ounces of water, I could
    only get 2 fills on a bottle. It felt like I was ALWAYS at the
    faucet filling the bottle again.

A couple weeks ago I was the store and happen to spot one
    of those larger (1/2 gallon maybe?) water bottles and thought
    that would be perfect for my ironing "binges". It's an idea that
    I am GLAD to be using now.

The spray bottle on the right is a 24oz size and the one on the
    left is the NEW water bottle that I am happy to be using.

Attachment 337494

[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries
    Great idea, Louise!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

The different water each iron needs is an interesting one, isn't it? My iron came with instructions to use tap water unless one has very hard tap water (we do) and in that case, recommended bottled spring water. As a result, I always have a gallon bottle of spring water by my iron. I have to admit, I never thought of carrying my iron back and forth to the sink to fill it, even when I was using tap water.
    Esther

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

I've been using the 1/2 gallon size water bottle to refill my iron since I moved and water supply is on 1st floor sewing room is on 2nd floor.
    Kathy Osterby

Blog Entries
    I just went through washing several 100 of fqts and I have 8 different irons. I know I am a sick woman. the largest has a stand alone tank but after standing pressing for hours I remember my Aunt Lela use to iron for a living. Her husband was a drinker and never paid the rent or bills for their 4 kids. She ironed all day just to feed the children. She use a spray bottle and wet the clothes down and rolled them and put them in a plastic bag.They would set over night then the next day she finish the batch. I believe that is the way to get them done. Worked for me.

Power Poster
    I also have the gallon of purchased spring water setting on the floor by my ironing board.

We used to do the sprinkle, roll, and wait of starched items before ironing them. If there was going to be a delay of more than a few hours, the batch went in the freezer!

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I was going to comment on the water situation, but I'm still stuck on the 400 FQs.... Four...Hundred....
    The green eyed monster has just reared it's ugly head.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    very creative!
    if i have a LOT of ironing to do, I dampen the fabric[s] and roll them up. place in a plastic bag. refrigerate overnight. now, no steaming or spraying needed
    Sounds like what I used to do for my ironing years ago. Except I'd put them in the freezer. Ironing was always so easy. I've learned a lot through the years. I don't iron until I'm ready for the garment.AND I buy a lot of things that don't need to be ironed.

edit: oops, forgot to mention the fact that I buy distilled water for my iron and keep it near the ironing board. Our water is of such poor quality. It just gunks up all of our things: coffee pot, irons, bathroom fixtures, etc. Distilled works well in my iron.
    Last edited by GailG; 05-26-2012 at 05:13 AM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    LOL that isn't all the fat quarters that I have, I actually have about
    4-5 times that much.

That is just what this go round is for them. I don't buy only fq's I
    turn many of my half yard cuts into fq's and sometimes I even take
    a full yard (if I have several yards) and cut into fq's, especially if I
    know it is a fabric that will be liked by others in my swaps.

Someday IF I can ever get all my fabric sorted, fabric room organized
    and cleaned up I will post pictures of the bins.

I periodically go through my fabric and donate 50-300 yards at a time
    to my co-workers uncle who makes aprons, and baby blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    I was going to comment on the water situation, but I'm still stuck on the 400 FQs.... Four...Hundred....
    The green eyed monster has just reared it's ugly head.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    duh, a bigger bottle, on my way to walmart. I'm so glad there are people smarter than me.

I collect rain water in a clean container, filter it through a paper coffee filter and keep in my sewing room for
    my needs. then use the funnel that came with the iron to fill my iron when needed. I can see that your method of a larger bottle would work for your needs. Just thought I would add my recycling tip here.

Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    I very seldom use steam as both my irons spits and sputters water all over the place. I almost always just use a spray bottle filled with water.
    I have the exact same problem, with two different brands of irons, and at some point just gave up. I use spray starch before cutting anything, and never iron the fabric at all until I'm ready to cut it. I wash all fabric as soon as I bring it home (after pinking the cut ends), and it comes out of the dryer with minimal wrinkles. Then I fold it and put it away until I'm ready to starch and cut. I can't imagine ironing anything I'm going to fold and put away. It would be a total waste of time because it would need to be ironed again before cutting. Starch makes fabric much easier to handle, but it's not good to store fabric that has been starched because silverfish may be attracted to it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3