Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you used fleece to back a quilt? >
  • Have you used fleece to back a quilt?

• Have you used fleece to back a quilt?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
    when I took my Feather BootCamp class, I loaded 2 layers of fleece and quilted it up. After I had filled in , I cut fringe on the edges. it was for my son's GF and she loved it. The colors don't show up the same, but its the same throw. I loved quilting this!
    That looks awesome! I'll have to try that!
    Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 AM

If I have tied fleece backing to a pieced quilt without batting, how far apart do I tie the quilt? The fleece is a blanket.
    Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 AM

Fleece will work AND hold up IF you use a fairly rigid batting between the front and the back. I made a beautiful cover for my window seat and because it wasn't going to be moved around a lot, I just used two layers, the pieced front and fleece for the back. Over time the seams have started to come apart and the entire thing has been pulled a little wonky.

I'll never do anything like that again. My piecing is too special to see it pulled apart by the flexing of the backing. Maybe for a dog blanket or something I perceive as being disposable, but never again on my special quilt tops!
    Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM

I have made quite a few lap quilts using a pieced top and fleece backing. I usually do not use batting. I sew and birth it, then sew around the entire outside about 5/8" from the edge. This gives it more stability and looks nice. Then using my walking foot I machine quilt it using a cross hatch pattern. I put the fleece side down toward the feed dogs and have had no problems with it stretching or bunching. I am currently making pet donation quilts using this method. Some have quilters cotton tops and other have flannel tops. My tops range in size from 30"x30" up to 48"x60". I tied one but did not think it was nearly as nice or sturdy as the machine quilted ones, so now I just mcahine quilt them. A few of the smaller pet quilts I am making for my vets office do have batting because it makes them softer (more padded) for the pets to lay on. The larger ones do not, so they are more pliable to wrap the sick animal in.
    Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM

I also made quilts using a cotton pieced top and flannel back...did not use batting as it was thick enough. I did not like it as much as my Normal cotton on both sides and cotton batting....it was too soft. My daughter convinced me that not all people like the firmer feel.
    Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
    I also made quilts using a cotton pieced top and flannel back...did not use batting as it was thick enough. I did not like it as much as my Normal cotton on both sides and cotton batting....it was too soft. My daughter convinced me that not all people like the firmer feel.
    I meant to say fleece back
    Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by azsupergram
    Our group that makes quilts for charity received a donation of a fairly high pile fleece. I am thinking about using it for a backing if that is feasible. I'm looking for any advice any of you can give me about this.

As an aside we make tied quilts, pillowcase style generally but could construct some differently.
    I did this and even though I used my walking foot I had a problem with the fleece stretching and causing tucks on the back. I have handled this problem by fusing the very lightest fusible interfacing to the fleece before quilting fleece and flannel together. If your quilts are just tied you will probably eliminate the stretching problem. Be sure to pre-shrink your flannel well because the fleece will not shrink.