Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: from the heart of a newbie

Welcome! It sounds like you are well on you way to love quilting. I have made several quilts, some of them quilte difficult, but still consider myself to be a beginner. I learn best by looking at the pictures but I know you need to read the directions. Sometimes the pictures leave somethings out that you need. I have found that reading the directions through before starting really helps and then reread as you do each step.
    Lorraine

Good for you Viv for taking the quilting challenge! Isn't it amazing how much nicer things usually look if we take our time?!

curlytop
    curlytop
    "The joy is in the journey."

Goes to show you are never too old to learn. Congrats from South Florida!

Bless your heart. Welcome from Ohio.
    Peace

Very wise words. Thanks
    Marie

Welcome from Northfield, Minnesota! I am a youngster to you--only 64--but love quilting. I learn all the time from the talented folks here.

Anita in Northfield, MN

Your story sounds so much like me! I started this past fall learning, reading, asking questions, etc. This board, as well as some of the you tube videos are so helpful -- and so appreciated. Friends helping also and encouraging my efforts. I just could never picture myself sitting and sewing 1/4" seams all day. Boy did I find out how much I like doing that as it's part of the whole picture.

I finally started a 4-part piecing class from a wonderful teacher learning all the good things. And all her tips, too. I think I will appreciate this class much more now that I've done some things on my own. It's so fun to make something for someone and see in their eyes & smiles how much they appreciate it.

And I have learned so much about how fun it is to shop for fabric!! lol

Everyone says how addictive quilting is ..... it really is!! I love reading and looking at things on this board. A big thanks to all of you for what I've seen and learned.

Hi Viv and welcome from Kentucky!
    Pam Riggs

I am also a newbie of several months to quilting and to the board.. I have learned so much from the daily posts and just the patience and information given is just wonderful. No question is treated as stupid. This site is the best one I have found on the internet for info and I visit it daily. Many thanks to all you people who take the time to help.

I just learned a lesson from you. I tend to rushat times in making my quilts and then I am unhappy with the results. Thanks for the reminder not to hurry. )

I'm a QUILTER , went I'TELL people I'M A QUILTER THAT GOD CALL ME TO BE A QUILTER FOR HIS GLORY " they look at be like , I HAVE nothing else to do, but ,fact,is GOD call me to lift up my fellowman, before i retired , GOD gave the gift of helping women and children , that was my joy , now I been BLESS TWICE ,GOD IS GOOD! ALL THE TIME FOR HIS GLORY! IT START WITH THE EYES.
    #They Call Me QuickStitch!!

Same here. I'm 71 and learning. ;-)
    Last edited by linhawk; 05-08-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Good for you in learning to take things slowly. That is hard for me too as I tend to rush through.

I know exactly where you are at. I have been sewing since a young girl but I had a mother who insisted that I do it right so those skills have stayed with me. I quilted when I was in my 30's and then work took over and finding the time to quilt was difficult. Also I will add that my quilting was not the best. I was quilting without really knowing what the heck I was doing. I used polyester batting which was terrible as the thread would break when I quilted. Didn't realize that I should use the cotton batting. Now that I am retired and have all the time in the world I love quilting. I found this board and it has been the best thing for me. I have learned so much on here. Not only do they give suggestions and encouragement but also where to go to find tutorials to help. My skills have improved so much. By the way I am approaching 70 too. (67)
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Welcome! I'm finding as I get more into the quilting thing that it isn't a race! I've slowed down considerably and do find (like you) that everything falls into place easier! I've been quilting almost ten years and STILL learn lots of great tips and ideas from the people on this board!!

At 69 I decided to do a quilt from start to finish. I have helped other people with hand quilting, but
    never had the time to do one on my own. Now I have finished 2 hand quilted quilts. The second
    one was an order, the person who ordered is still calling me to say she is happy, and her brother
    really likes his birthday gift. I learned after so much tearing out to take my time since I want to be
    proud of what I make. Welcome from Mobile, Alabama.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hi Viv,

I had the same experience. In the beginning I poo-pooed all those preparation steps - who needs them? Of course the corners don't meet up and points get cut off when you don't. So I thought I'd try it the slow way and what a difference. The devil is in the details and the more attention you pay to the prep work, the better your blocks go together and the better the top fits. Good for you that you listened. Keep up the good work.

Power Poster
    Mom had a saying -

"Too soon we grow old,
    Too late we grow smart."

Sounds like you've figured a few things out! Excellent!

Blog Entries
    So well written - now, I need to take all this to heart too! Thanks for reminding all of us (new quilters and probably experienced) and to quote - you exactly, "... So, if you're a newbie, and if you're frustrated...take my advice...slow down! enjoy what you do! life is too short, but don't hurry thru it, live each day, enjoy each day! Hugs to all the experts that have the patience to guide us newbies in learning this enjoyable craft." So well written - thanks!

I've learned everything I know from this quilting board - and I am beginning to read directions, careful to cut accurately and enjoying my new found hobby... even if my 1/4" seams are off - a little... Thanks quilting board and welcome vhord - btw - love your name!

Welcome to the Board from TN! Hey, how do you think those seasoned quilters got to be so seasoned!!?? Trial and error my dear friend! I'm glad you wrote, it's a nice little reminder for us all! Hang in there, it gets better, worse, better worse...and better!! Each day and new project is a different story with new experiences....
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Viv,

I agree wholeheartedly. I take a long time to actually finish a quilt, but I am enjoying the process. I could get a lot more done if I rushed, but it would not be fun. I have friends who finish an amazing amount of quilts and they do a good job. I'm just not made that way. So sue me! lol

Welcome to the board.

Norma

I think that you are wonderful. Welcome from CT and keep quilting!

I love your post, and as a newbie I always read anything that says "newbie" in the title. I have learned so much that way. I have learned patience and a new love for sewing by the many words shared here!
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Congratulations and welcome to this wonderful world of quilting. Guess I'm a young beginner; started last fall at the age of 55; hope to be quilting for many more decades and hope you do as well!
    Mavis

Welcome from the So Cal desert!! I began quilting just 2 years ago after I lost my husband to pancreatic cancer. It has become my life preserver and just about every one I make is donated to our local hospice program. I enjoy every part of the process and have a hard time even doing strip sets, I tend to be a block by block kinda gal! I figure its better to slow down and feel the fabric!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast