Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heat and Bond - HELP >

Heat and Bond - HELP

Heat and Bond - HELP

Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 AM

Default Heat and Bond - HELP

I have never used double sided interfacing and need your help.
I have already cut out ~ 185 pieces of fabric to make a stained glass wall hanging. Some of the pieces are very small. Now I have to iron on double sided interfacing, and I don't know how to do it. I guess I should have done it before I cut them all out, but I didn't. Is there any way to do it now??
I'm hoping that one of the talented members can help.
Thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

You can do it, it'll just require a lot more steady hand. If it were me, I would gather a few pieces (read the directions) and peel the paper off and lay them on that side, about 1/2" close to each other. The tricky part is ironing and not getting the fusible stuck on anything. You can press firmly and the pieces will stay on the Heat and Bond and you can cut them out carefully and then use an applique pressing sheet over them when you go to iron them onto your fabric. Be careful because you'll probably get bits that will stick to your pressing sheet. Remove pressing sheet after it's cooled off. That is what I have done before when I was in your predicament. Don't beat yourself up over this. We all learn new things every day! Good lucki!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM

It's going to be tough.... Whenever I have done that I get fusible stuff all over...it may be easier to trace the shapes onto the fusible paper...and then try to match it up and press it to the fabric using a pressing sheet...may have to do mirror image...if that makes any sense...
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM

Put the interfacing on your pressing sheet, lay your stained glass pieces right sides up on interfacing. Lay a piece of parchment paper over all the pieces and heat n bond. Lightly press then peel off parchment paper and cut out your fabric piece. It's not easy but can be done. I think at some point in time, most of us have done the same thing. It's another one of those learning curves. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 AM

Could you draw and cut out the shapes from the easy th peel paper leaving the rest on the slip your pieces into the hole left. Then iron press. Then cut shapes out.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Oops - I feel for you having done the same thing myself, but not so many pieces - I would go with the suggestions from Quiltnama - very time consuming and you will need patience, just do a few a day or you may end up bald from tearing your hair out!!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

first off I hope you are using heat n bond LITE...it is the one made for appliques, stitching- the regular is very difficult to stitch through- and you do need to stitch your appliques down or they will fall off when laundered- the way paper backed fusible webbing is used is- you first trace your applique designs on the paper side of the fusible. leaving a little distance between them- if they are going on different colors/fabrics you rough cut around them after they are all traced- then you press (fuse) them to the wrong side of the fabrics- then cut out on the lines- peel the paper and fuse them to the background. since you have already cut out all of your appliques you may want to just use a glue stick to place them before stitching- it would be a lot less work than trying to now add fusible....it can be done- but will be quite a job-
Old 11-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess I did something right - it is Lite Heat & Bond.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:06 PM

I would take my JoAnn's coupon and go purchase the silicon sheet for fusibles. Fons and Porter has one. Then you can press away without gooking up your iron. Same as with the parchment paper but the "glue" just peels away on the silicon and you just keep using it.