Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone!

Welcome from Delaware. I understand how you feel being new. I had sewn since I can remember probably about 7-8 years old, but never quilted. It took me reading for over a year --- reading, reading, reading, to get brave enough to start one. That was way too long ---- sometimes reading too much just confuses your thoughts. This site is great, a book is helpful and if possible a beginners class, but don't wait, there are lots of beginner patterns depending on your likes. Start simple.
    Let us see your first item.
    Happy quilting.

Welcome from Deltona, Florida
    Ellen

Welcome to this wonderful board of kind people. I took my non quilting neighbor to a little quilt fair and by the end of the hour, she had picked up every future fair announcement. She is so hooked and you will be too. So many great tutorials on this site.

Welcome to the Quilting Board!!!! You have come to
    the right place to learn quilting.

The first quilt that I made was a scrappy crazy quilt. To this day, I still love them. I am actually making another one now with all my little scraps and left over fabric

Some of the sites I used were.

This Blog under the SEARCH engine.
    MissouriQuiltCo.com
    You Tube

And last but not least my wonderful neighbor across the street. Sorry I don't loan her out. The most important part is have fun and never quilt when your tired. That's when I make most of my mistakes. Good Luck

Welcome from Sioux Falls, SD!
    Definately take a class! My DH bought me a Brother SE-44 for Christmas, it is a great machine to learn on and I can quilt, sew and embroider. I began classes and have learned so much, made a beautiful beginners quilt and I am in the process of making a queen size denim rag quilt...oh and I made the patchwork jacket from the tute on this site. Having a great time, folks on here are great and have tons of wisdom!
    Happy I found this site!

welcome from Alabama-you have come to the right place for all the help and encouragement you can take! I have learned more from this site than any class could teach me-hands on is good, but these people are tried and true!

OB
    Welcome from NY :)

Quote Originally Posted by quickshelia
    I want to make a throw-size quilt, how much fabric do you think i should get?
    I'm in the same boat you are, didn't even know how to use a sewing machine. I bought a quilted throw on Etsy and loved it so I've decided to "copy" it in some fabrics that I love. This throw that I bought doesn't have a pattern, just random red, white and pink strips sewn together. The one I'm making is very similar. I thought this would be a good way to familiarize myself with not only my machine but with cutting and using rulers. I have decided that I prefer marking the fabric instead of using a rotary cutter, just can't seem to get the hang of it. Also, I'm getting used to making a 1/4" seam. This may seem like very basic stuff, but you have to walk before you run. And a big HOWDY & welcome from the Sooner state, Oklahoma!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Welcome from Michigan! You will love it here - so many friendly and helpful people. And never be afraid to ask questions. We were all beginners at one time.

I highly recommend you go to JoAnn Fabrics (if you have one near you) and buy the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zieman. I paid $24.99 for mine. (well worth the price!)
    Or you can get it from her web site - www.sewingwithnancy.com
    Or try Amazon.com, I've found a ton of great books on there at a bargain price. I find a book I want & then check Amazon to see if they have a better price. I've bought many and have never been burned.

Welcome! from southern IL.

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone! My name is Sheila and I just joined!

I'm very interested in quilting, although I have no idea where to begin! I know nothing about quilting or where to start!

It would be great if someone could give me some ideas about how to start making a quilt, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks so much!
    -Sheila
    Hi Shelia, Welcome from your neighbor in Mass. If I can help, let me know. We can't be too far from each other. :-)

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Arkansas. The Rail Fence is a very simple pattern that makes a lovely quilt. And, it really doesn't require a pattern. For a lap size quilt I'd get at least a yard of three coordinating fabrics. (look good together) Cut them in 2 1/2 inch strips. Then sew one of each of them together . Then cut them in 6 inch blocks. Place one with ends up, the next one with ends side by side, the next one up and so on until you get it as wide as you want your quilt. Continue doing this until you have the size you want.This will be your top. Then you will take a piece of fabric the same size or a little larger and lay it facedown. Place a piece of batting on top of that and then put your top on top faceup and pin the three layers together with safety pins. Then it is ready to quilt. Come back for more lessons or PM me if you need advice. Thanks

Junior Member QuiltingrandmafromMi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Welcome from Michigan! You will love it here - so many friendly and helpful people. And never be afraid to ask questions. We were all beginners at one time.

I highly recommend you go to JoAnn Fabrics (if you have one near you) and buy the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zieman. I paid $24.99 for mine. (well worth the price!)
    Or you can get it from her web site - www.sewingwithnancy.com
    Very True I have the same one! and with the tutorials on this blog, everything is so much easier!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome from Michigan!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
    Is there a quilt shop near you? I agree a beginners class would be a great help, and I bet if you can make it to a nearby quilt shop the ladies would love to get you set up with a pattern that would be good to start with and they will help you choose fabric too. Sites like this are great for asking questions, but sometimes it helps to have someone live in person who can get you headed in the right direction to start.

You could also visit your local craft store or library and see if they have Fons and Porters Complete Guide to Quilting. This was one of my first books on quilting and they explain everything from the 1/4" seam, how to press, how to purchase fabric, what needles to use in addition to showing you lots of techniques. There are a ton of beginning quilting books out there but this one was my favorite.
    I just purchased a couple of magazines complete with DVD from Fons and Porters website that tells you everything you need to know from beginning to end on how to make your first quilt. Very inexpensive and well worth the money.

Welcome from one of the guys on the forum. Quilting is easy. Buy some fabric, cut it into little tiny pieces and then sew them back together again. Easy.

Blog Entries
    WELCOME FROM Oklahoma, we love to help newbies here.

Hello!!! This site is great for tutorials and the people are wonderful. All you have to do is ask if you need anything. :)

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Maine! If you're ever bored take a trip up to Maine and visit Marden's for fabric. Most of it is $2.99 although the prices have been going up lately. The closest one to you is in Sanford. I love Marden's and never leave without buying at least one piece of fabric. You're going to love this board.

Thank you everyone! I'm thinking about taking a class, I'm going to a quilting expo in April, so I hope to learn some things there.
    Take a class!!!!!!!!!!! I know that there are a lot of self-taught quilters on this board but you will so much QUICKLY by taking class. You will get basic and correct techniques (no quilt police) and then you can expand from there. I really believe in getting knowledge from others instead of learning by my mistakes.

You-tube is your friend. You will find tons of how-to videos on everything from cutting fabric to binding a quilt and all things in between. Have fun with the learning process !!

hi welcome from fl.self taught here

I would start small, something easy like I did. A basic block pattern like I do. I did make a quillo quilt as my first, but, I did it all by hand and it was quite a project.
    Also remember to sew seams 1/4 inch, some prefer scant 1/4 but, it's difficult for some
    and most importantly is to enjoy yourself and what your doing

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast