Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone!

Welcome fromt CT and keep reading the board. I am a newbee at quilting and have picked up some great tips. A lot of wonderful people here who are very generous in sharing!

Blog Entries
    You can find it on Amazon for $9.04! Bargain! Have fun quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Welcome from Michigan! You will love it here - so many friendly and helpful people. And never be afraid to ask questions. We were all beginners at one time.

I highly recommend you go to JoAnn Fabrics (if you have one near you) and buy the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zieman. I paid $24.99 for mine. (well worth the price!)
    Or you can get it from her web site - www.sewingwithnancy.com

Hi from Natchez, Ms. Try strings, log cabins or 4 patch. Just jump in and do it. You will amaze yourself. There's always a lot of help here whatever you try. Happy Quilting!! :thumbup:

Junior Member Heartwarming quilts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome from the Pacific Northwest.

Find an easy pattern buy the fabric recommended on pattern and start

I agree with those who say take a class...I started on my own and developed some bad habits...start off with good habits and you won't have to go back and learn it right. Good luck, have fun and welcome from AZ.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Central Texas

Welcome from Kansas

Welcome, I'm from Western Massachusetts.

I have learned so many things from all these fine folks...you will too...welcome from Southern TX.

Blog Entries
    I got my FREE start last summer by hooking up with a Project Linus group at a local church. They provided pre-cut scraps, batting, backing, knowledge,and inspiration; I gave my labor, artistry, imagination and enthusiasm. Thanks to inspiration from reading this board every day I now have a huge stash of my own (NOT free by any means!) and just bought a Featherweight sewing machine, from this board. I am now a confirmed quilter for life; cannot afford not to be!

Blog Entries
    I agree with Murphy, go to a beginners class and take a rail fence pattern" or something Local quilt shop recomnmends. Some of the beginners classes try to teach everything all at once. they usually are different blocks then put together. You end up with a sampler quilt. I think that is too much to start with, try going for only 1 pattern in lap of twin size. See if you are going to like the process. Buy quality fabrics at LQS not a discount store to start with. Cost it more but if you start small it won't be that much( it will be easier to sew etc).
    I started out with rail fence class and I'm glad I did. I took my friend to the Sampler Quilt class for beginners. Some of those blocks were difficult for me after 3yrs. Friend never has finished and does not quilt now. Let us know how you do Welcome

Welcome from Ohio. Used to live in NH

Welcome to the board! Everyone here is so helpful that you will learn so much. However, I'd like to recommend a book to you that will teach you everything you need to know. It is Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. It has wonderful photographs and clear instructions for every step of quilt making. Then, you can ask for clarification if you don't understand the process. Good luck and "get busy" making the quilts you are going to love.

There are a lot of tutorials on you tube and also on this site. I have learned so much from watching these tutorials. Some of my favorites are on You Tube from the Missouri Quilt Company. Good luck and welcome from East Texas.

Blog Entries
    I just started quilting about five years ago----I joined a local quilt guild and learned so much from the ladies there as a different technique or block demonstration was given each month---- taking classes at your quilt store is also great----

Blog Entries
    Welcome!

Welcome to this board, Shiela, you are going to love it and learn a lot as everyone is happy to help. I can't give you much help as I'm pretty new at the art also but there are so many experienced quilters who do beautiful work and I know they'll have some good suggestions. Soon you'll be as accomplished as they are.

Welcome from Idaho! I joined my local quilt club with little or no experience, boy have I learned a lot from those ladies. They are also some of my best friends now... You will learn techniques that are found in ALL the best books... I have friends who are self taught and they agree, they have learned more from our more experienced quilter friends than they ever learned from a book.

Welcome from NH

Hi from Ohio

Hello. In case you're interested you can register for classes to take while you're there, they have tons! (if it happens to be the one at the Worcester DCU center)

Blog Entries
    Find a good website like The quilters Cache that provides you with lots of blocks and charts, buy yourself 1 yd each of three materials that blend with each other and then practice cutting the pieces, sewing and putting a block together.

!st and foremost buy a good beginners quilting book, look at what tools you will need, like a rotary cutter, cutting mat, rulers size 12x24 is a good size, plus a square ruler for cutting and square blocks, pins, etc,

I would try a small quilt 1st or maybe a block , practice,practice . Better yet, find someone who quilts who might share her knowledge with you.

Warning- it is addicting, so beware.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Sheila, try a Turning Twenty. They turn out terrific.
    You will learn alot here.

Welcome from Ireland

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast