Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone!

I see you have 9 pages of replies and I haven't read them, so you might have already gotten this suggestion ...

go to YouTube and search 'how to make a quilt' ... you will get lots of tutorial videos to help you out.

The Missouri Quilt Co. has lots of quilt tutorials on YouTube, they are great!

Hope this will help you a bit, I know it can be a challenge when you want to quilt and there is no one who can help you in person.

Best wishes to you,

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Are you close to Puyallup, WA? Did you go to the SewExpo at the fairgrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Welcome from Michigan! You will love it here - so many friendly and helpful people. And never be afraid to ask questions. We were all beginners at one time.

I highly recommend you go to JoAnn Fabrics (if you have one near you) and buy the book "Quilt with Confidence" by Nancy Zieman. I paid $24.99 for mine. (well worth the price!)
    Or you can get it from her web site - www.sewingwithnancy.com
    I agree!!

I have to tell you these ladies have given me such confidence, I am new, I make mistakes, but OMG this is the best web site around, everyone is friendly and helpful, keep trying.

Regarding quilt books, if you don't want to spend the money ... they can be pricey in my opinion, go to your local library and see what they have. Maybe see if they have any of the books that have been recommended here.

Be aware that some of the older books, as good as they once were, are outdated now cuz quilting techniques and quick tricks have evolved and improved.

I get lots of books thru my 2 county library system, lots of libraries with an abundance of books I can put on hold. Hopefully yours will too.

Dee
    Welcome from Pa.

Hi Fran I also live in Alaska. I am new to quilting also. I live in Wasilla welcome to the world of quilting

Terry Metier

welcome from southwestern ny state.

Yes, find a local quilt shop and sign up for a "Learn to Quilt" class, that will take you from start to finish. You'll learn rotary cutting with rulers and mats and take you right to layering your quilt, machine quilting and binding. Sounds like fun to me !!!!!!!!!!! Greetings and welcome from thawing Saskatchewan!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Welcome Sheila...from NH...
    Also getting books to read...
    I would suggest no more than 4 different material and classes are great. You meet nice people

Blog Entries
    Hello quicksheila and welcome from Australia
    I found this on ebay it's a dummy book on quilting. Please don't be offended it's the title of the book i bought a couple of them in the past to do with computers :) I am still learning and have learnt a lot from this group also browse throught youtube for idea.
    Good luck and have fun it's a great hobby and very rewarding thump up for trying.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_2810wt_1056

Quote Originally Posted by quickshelia
    Hi everyone! My name is Sheila and I just joined!

I'm very interested in quilting, although I have no idea where to begin! I know nothing about quilting or where to start!

It would be great if someone could give me some ideas about how to start making a quilt, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks so much!
    -Sheila
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now that is a prize quilt!!!!WOW I love the irish chain and that is by far the most beautiful.Mine is a single by the way. That is a triple?

Welcome from Lake Havasu City, AZ. My first quilt was a log cabin. I bought Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day book.

You may have already gotten this book name... (not enough time to read all the responses). I was pretty much a self taught quilter, as I didn't care for the design of the beginner quilts at the classes... i got this little book at Joann's with a 40% off coupon that helped me with basics, and also had a few simple small beginner projects.

It is: Pat Sloan's "I Can't Believe I'm Quilting" - Leisure Arts Publishing. I liked it because it had small projects in it, like a wall hanging, table runner, etc. I think it is nice to start small cause if you aren't totally thrilled with the end result you haven't spent a ton of $$ and time on the project. Full price was $11.95.

Good luck and welcome to the quilting circle!

Blog Entries
    You can find lots of "classes" online on YouTube. Try the Missouri Star Quilt site and she has lots of easy patterns and lessons that have helped me learn new techniques. Just jump right in.

I see that you are interested in a thow size. Frst you must have some material I would start by checking for a Wal Mart that sells material. You can try about 2 yds of three materials that like each other. This would give you a start. Note here You can ask friends and family if they sew and if they do not use the scraps ask if you can have them. Also check yards sales and 2nd hand stores. The Rail Fence is a good learning pattern You can get one by Google, type in Rail Fence quilt pattern. IT is simply three pieces of material cut the same size Usually 2 1/2 by 6 1/2 The darker is the top piece then your print or the 2nd darkest then the lighest of the three. Lay them side by side Sew the 1st piece to the 2nd. Then sew the 3rd piece to this. The seams will be along the long side. Make several like this .The figure how many blocks you will need to make it as wide as you want, Then see how many it will take to make it as long as you want. You will have a pattern by now from the free quilt patterns site. It a good start Quilters Cashe has a diagram and walks you through how to piece a block and how they look set together. Best of luck to you from Ok.

I agree with other ladies. go the a class Rail fence is a good start

WElcome from NW Oregon. You will enjoy this board and certainly learn a lot.

Sheila here is a link to the Rail Fence Pattern that will give you ideas on different ways to design with that simple block.

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...nce-links.html

Welcome from Central Florida! The library is a great & inexpensive resource for learning to quilt or google "free quilt patterns" & it will give you some ideas. Or Eleanor Burns has many videos to show you step by step online for some of hers. She is at quiltinaday.com & I made my first completed quilt with her..the Jewel Box in the scrappy video. Good luck! It's a wonderful learning experience!

welcome from ohio..fabric,thread, and an idea...you go gurl

Quote Originally Posted by capucine
    Hello quicksheila and welcome from Australia
    I found this on ebay it's a dummy book on quilting. Please don't be offended it's the title of the book i bought a couple of them in the past to do with computers :) I am still learning and have learnt a lot from this group also browse throught youtube for idea.
    Good luck and have fun it's a great hobby and very rewarding thump up for trying.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_2810wt_1056

Hi everyone! My name is Sheila and I just joined! hi sweetie welcome!

I'm very interested in quilting, although I have no idea where to begin! I know nothing about quilting or where to start!

It would be great if someone could give me some ideas about how to start making a quilt, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks so much!
    -Sheila
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quilt shops are a great place to start.
    Hi everyone! My name is Sheila and I just joined!

Thanks so much!
    -Sheila

just start cutting, sewing, eaisiest is a 9 patch..once i finish one the next one i try is alittle harder...attempting a applaque this time welcome

Welcome to the board from Denver. You can go to the library and find books also, the patterns have the yardage you need. I started looking at thrift stores for fabric, or cotton sheets to cut up and practice with. You can even use flannle to back quilts with when first starting out too. I used cotton shirts with cool patterns on them also.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast