Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone!

Welcome from Michigan

Welcome from Washington, Take a begining quilt class you will learn al lot of basic quilting tips, terms, and the reasones why and how quilts are made. You will learn a whole new language! Here your will meet some very talanted people.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Board from Peoria, AZ. Members are super helpful, the site is great, and the search engine does a really good job. If something about what you are looking for has been posted - using the search feature at the top of the page will find all the links to the subject. When I first stated I bought how-to books and pattern books - then I discovered how much free information and patterns are available using the internet. Oh boy! I should have talked to other quilters about what I needed to have to get started rather than forging "full-steam" ahead on my own. Would have save me some $$$ and eliminated dusty tools that don't get used. Just start with the basics such as cutting mat, rulers, rotary cutters, pins and pin cushion, scissors, fabric, a pattern would be helpful, and a sewing machine and thread.

See if your city has a quilting group - watch t.v. programs and there are lots of books!!!!

Blog Entries
    the best tool I have ever bought is my 1/4 inch sewing foot, mine has a little edge on it that keeps my fabric right on target. You don't have to have a new fancy sewing machine - but boy it is fun LOL

Welcome from Arizona

Welcome Shelia from NE Kansas. You got so great advice from mpspeedy. I too have gadgets I will never use. :oops:

Welcome from Northern CA!!! This is a wonderful hobby\creative outlet. My recomendations for a brand new quilter are: 1. check out some books from the library 2. find a local quilt store and ask questions (and take a class if possible) and 3. when you buy tools, buy only the basics to start, but get the best basics you can afford (watch for coupons at JoAnn's) 4. buy the best fabric you can afford (see number 2) and last , but not least....5. have fun!

Welcome from Kentucky!

Another welcome from Illinois. I have only made four quilts so far and my first was from a class. I was so "green" I still felt afraid to start a new quilt on my own., so needed another class. I made one on my own, but the colors aren't right. I am now making my 4th one, and have put two different materials together for an irish chain, and one solid dark red color is heavier than the cream main color, and I am afraid I might not have a prize quilt once again. I think it takes awhile to be confident. But this quilting site has helped me alot.

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard!! This is a great site.... check out the topic where someone asks about everyones' "avatar". Lots of quilts to see and hear about why they were made and how. Great for catching ideas........ then look up the patterns. They will tell you how much fabric you'll need. Have fun!!!

Welcome, I love this site, I am not here often but great advise is given along with a lot of encouragement.

I recommend a beginner's class at a fabric sop, Joann's or even an Adult Ed. Class. I tried books and pattern for years without much luck. There are some basic concepts that maKe or break a quilt going together nicely. Books assume you already know them.

Blog Entries
    welcome from Oklahoma. be sure to start with some pattern that is easy enough. If you choose something too complicated you might get discouraged. good luck.

Power Poster
    Hello and welcome from Boston, Ma

Welcome from San Gabriel, California

welcome from western MA waht part are you from. this is a great board -lots of information and many many helpful friends.

Hi Sheila. Welcome to the board, I am new here too. I took a class at a LQS a couple of years ago and have been slowly building from that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne Fauss
    Another welcome from Illinois. I have only made four quilts so far and my first was from a class. I was so "green" I still felt afraid to start a new quilt on my own., so needed another class. I made one on my own, but the colors aren't right. I am now making my 4th one, and have put two different materials together for an irish chain, and one solid dark red color is heavier than the cream main color, and I am afraid I might not have a prize quilt once again. I think it takes awhile to be confident. But this quilting site has helped me alot.
    I'll try to send a picture of my cream and dark red irish chain I think it is very nice. Keep going I always get the folks at LAS or DH to help select colors. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am also fairly new to quilting and I bought a good book and took one class at a local fabric shop. Practice, practice, practice.

Also check out "quilting" on U tube and on
    Missouri Quilt Company.

Welcome aboard. ;-)

Power Poster
    Welcome from WI

Quote Originally Posted by quickshelia
    Hi everyone! My name is Sheila and I just joined!

I'm very interested in quilting, although I have no idea where to begin! I know nothing about quilting or where to start!

It would be great if someone could give me some ideas about how to start making a quilt, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks so much!
    -Sheila
    Welcome! You come from the state where quilting started in the colonies, so you've got a long tradition behind you. When your ancestors started quilting, they didn't know everything they would know several years later, so you aren't unique.

Look for beginners' patterns. You can find some at about.com under the quilting section. You can also find some on this forum.
    Get fabric you like in colors or designs that tickle your fancy and have at it. Remember, there are no quilt police, so don't worry about following "rules."

You'll love it here. Let us know how you get along. froggyintexas, where by the end of the week, we are going to have temperatures in the 80's!

Hi Welcome from Casa Grande,Az

Welcome from NY

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast