Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!! To all Long Arm Quilters >

HELP!!!! To all Long Arm Quilters

HELP!!!! To all Long Arm Quilters

Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

The other "trick" is to cut the back correctly, but load it sideways so that it's bigger than necessary in one direction and too short in the other direction. Or cut the batting too short (or load it sideways)... If you longarm long enough you will probably make every mistake possible, at least I will.

If you have plenty of backing fabric you could just leave the backing rolled around the roller, fold the unquilted part of the top and batting toward the back bar, pin another piece to the bottom of the backing (right sides together) so that the short edge of the new piece is near the roller, use the longarm to seam across the width of the backing, take the backing off the roller, trim the seam because it's going to be quite wide, reattach from the backing to the roller, replace the quilt top and batting and proceed.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Well, it worked...whew....it's done done done...now on to the binding ewwwww my least favorite thing to do...oh hum but it has to be done.So the strips are joined and will press well and finish up another day because it is 9pm and I'm getting tired lol...but then again I might just start it at least attach to one side....Oh poop I forgot I still have to embroider the label I made...lol this quilt just seems to never want to end lol....Bright side major problem solved.....Thanks everyone for responding lol...I don't feel sooo alone....
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 PM

IMHO...it would be much faster to just unpin from your leaders and add a piece to your backing with your domestic. I know it sounds like a pain, but really....you'll be much more satisfied...Im sure. Sorry that happened. Show us your quilt when you're done HAPPY QUILTING!!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 AM

Happened to me once, when I had the backing size too close to the size of the top. I didn't have the backing quite long enough. It needs to be longer because as you roll the quilt, you actually use more backing than quilt top---think of rolling a magazine around the backbone---the edges of the pages are never lined up in the end. The outside pages end up shorter than the inside pages. Lesson learned. Once was enough for me. I took it off entirely and sewed on another piece with my dsm.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:41 PM

Here is the completed quilt yeppy. I also posted here of the embroidered blocks and label
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post6501600
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455576[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag0353.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 AM

Wow! That's beautiful! What's the name of the pattern? I can see that in soft colors as a quick and easy baby quilt.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 AM

Unfortunately, me too!
Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
Been there, done that, more than once!!!!