Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Am I using this product wrong? >

Help! Am I using this product wrong?

Help! Am I using this product wrong?

Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 AM

I have tried the invisigrip...I personally don't like it. I prefer to use sticky sandpaper dots.........work great and do not raise the rulers high enough to cause any miscuts......but no matter what you use, you still have to hold that ruler snuggly with good fingertip pressure and close to where you are cutting and you have to spider walk along that ruler as you cut for accuracy no matter what.......and I must say my GO cutter has definitely saved time and energy when it comes to mass-cutting........
Old 09-14-2012, 05:49 AM

I use two sided tape and it holds better than anything I have ever tried. I use Marti Michelle templets and they work great on them. Just dut s strip a little smaller than the ruler and for long rulers just randomly place strips on it.
Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
Being a new quilter, I am still learning how to use all the products out there for quilters, but this one's got me beat. I am doing a kit quilt, and have to cut out 120 3x6 flying geese to fit together accurately in the main body of the quilt. I tried using the recommended ruler to cut them to no avail--I couldn't make them accurate. So I tried the Quilt in a Day Flying Geese ruler, but still couldn't keep the ruler from sliding. OK, so I ordered online some Invisigrip which is supposed to keep the ruler from sliding. It came this afternoon, applied it to my ruler and to my dismay, the ruler is as slick as ever! The invisigrip sticks good to the ruler, and as far as I can tell, can only be applied one way--it doesn't stick on the other side. Slick as ever. Have I wasted money on this product, or am I doing something wrong? At this point I feel it's bad enough to warrant a refund. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks, Connie
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Being a new quilter, I am still learning how to use all the products out there for quilters, but this one's got me beat. I am doing a kit quilt, and have to cut out 120 3x6 flying geese to fit together accurately in the main body of the quilt. I tried using the recommended ruler to cut them to no avail--I couldn't make them accurate. So I tried the Quilt in a Day Flying Geese ruler, but still couldn't keep the ruler from sliding. OK, so I ordered online some Invisigrip which is supposed to keep the ruler from sliding. It came this afternoon, applied it to my ruler and to my dismay, the ruler is as slick as ever! The invisigrip sticks good to the ruler, and as far as I can tell, can only be applied one way--it doesn't stick on the other side. Slick as ever. Have I wasted money on this product, or am I doing something wrong? At this point I feel it's bad enough to warrant a refund. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks, Connie
I use sand paper dots and this works the best for me.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 AM

Spray the back of the ruler with spray adhesive lightly and let it get tacky about 3-5 min you can always take it off with rubbing alcohol when you want to
Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 AM

I have the same problem and was just holding the rulers down a little more firmly. To the hardware store I go for sandpaper. Thanks everyone for the good ideas.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 AM

If you are making many of the same colors, here is a way to make 4 at a time with no ruler!:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t180442.html

I use hot glue dots on all of my rulers except my Creative Grids. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:15 AM

I use sandpaper dots and cut my own from sheets of sandpaper with the sticky already on them. Use one of my scrapbook punches and peel and stick after they are cut out. Use a fine sandpaper so not to leave marks on your fabric. Found the invisigrip did not work well for me, but my mother uses it on all of her rulers.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Have you tried the cutting geese method where you place the small squares in the corner of each side of the rectangle? That is the best way for me to make a flying goose. There are a couple more different methods besides Eleanor Burns ruler method that you might find more desirable. Go to YouTube and type in Flying Geese methods and watch some Tube on it. I bet you will find something better and your ruler won't be an issue. As for the invisigrip. I bought a lot of it and put it on all of my rulers. Yes, it's not real sticky like I wanted it to be. In fact, at first it seemed slick. Now, it works better after I've used my rulers more. The sand paper worked better but I didn't like the look of it and how I couldn't see through it. Now I lean on my rulers and put my hand on my ruler and the table both at the same time and put my rotary cutter next to my ruler, not pushing against my ruler at all. It works well that way. Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 AM

I hold my ruler down on my cutting table with a 2" alligator clip from Staples, then I put my hand near the top of the ruler to hold it down. Don't have a problem with slippage and don't have to spider walk my hand up the ruler either.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
Is this better than the handle that sticks to the ruler that is available at Joanns?

I have two sizes of the Gypsy Gripper and I take those to classes to use when I'm cutting. I don't take my Slide Lock or Rule Steady, everyone wants to use them and I end up not having it when I need to cut. The ruler is held very steady but the most important thing is safety. It's very important to have a safety tool be second nature.
I never thought I'd cut myself with the rotary cutter until I did. It could have been very bad but it was bad enough. If you just cannot afford to buy a safety tool then at least use an iron to hold the ruler down while you cut.