Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Am I using this product wrong? >

Help! Am I using this product wrong?

Help! Am I using this product wrong?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 AM

I invested in lots of Invisigrip for my rulers and, I have to say, I didn't really think it made much difference. I also have the sandpaper dots on some of them. Pretty much I just hold them down really steady, and I always wear my Fons & Porter cutting glove on my left hand, just in case. My mom cut herself with a rotary cutter once, and it was pretty awful. I would not want that to happen to me.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 AM

If you have nothing else, clear fingernail polish sprinkled with salt before it dries. I like the little dots bought at Hancocks, doesn't raise ruler much, press down on the ruler, get some holder grips if needed.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I have sandpaper dots on one ruler- plastic dots on one - invisagrip on another. They all work great. You have to use a full length and width of invisagrip on the bottom of the ruler, pieces won't work. Be generous with the dots - sandpaper or plastic. You have to walk your fingers up the ruler while cutting long strips. A simple way to not cut your fingers is to keep them away from the ruler edge. Learning how to cut with a rotary cutter takes practice.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM

I like the sandpaper dots, I think I bought them at my LQS,but I am sure there are online sources as well.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
True Grip dots work really well and they are very thin. They have more of a rubbery feel.
I use True Grips by the Grace Company too and they really really work! I bought invisigrip and found that it slipped on me too!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Connie, after reading through these post I am seeing all kinds of hints to keep your ruler from slipping but nothing addressing your flying geese not being correct size. Are they to big to small?? Where you place the lines on your ruler on the fabric will make a difference in correct sizing. I made this mistake for years cutting strips by placing the size line at the edge of the fabric instead of on the fabric. So my strips were always the width of the line off in size. Have you watched some you-tube videos on flying geese? Try the different methods and find what works for you. Also for flying geese a rotating mat might help so you never have to lift the fabric. Good luck and I am sure you will figure out something that works for you.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:36 PM

I had a lot of trouble with the ruller slipping when I first started making quilts. Part of the problem was that I was holding the ruler down too far from the edge. I think I was paranoid about cutting myself. I have learned to move my hand closer to the edge when holding the ruler down and it seems to help. And if you're cutting a longer strip, just walk your fingers up the edge of the ruller and you cut to be sure you have enough pressure.

Another thing that was causing me problems was that I was pushing too hard against the ruler with my rotary cutter because I was worried I would stray away from the ruler and end up with a wonky cut line.

Oh, and I use the Invisigrip as well - haven't had any problems with it slipping. I have some rulers with the little sandpaper dots and that works well too, except that you have to lift your ruler rather than slide it across the fabric because the sandpaper catches.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Thanks, gang for all the good ideas. I went out today and bought rubber cement and sandpaper dots. My problem is not on long cuts, but trimming down to size the 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 flying geese. I had to use the method recommended in the directions because there was not enough fabric to cut the rectangles and squares that I usually make. This method makes an oversize block that must be trimmed down. Also, they are all different. Recommended was the Fit to be Geese ruler by Open Gate, but you have to reposition the ruler to cut each of the four sides. That's what did me in--moving the ruler four times for each Geese. So now I'm trying to work with the small Flying Geese Ruler by Quilt in a Day. Also got today a mini cutting mat that I can turn easily and hopefully not lift my ruler. One of these ideas will work--I even liked the spray adhesive idea. Thanks again, everybody. Connie
Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Hi, sorry your having such a problem. I only have that problem when I have to cut fat quarters for my monthly guild meeting. They don't want the fabric washed. When I wash my fabric I have no problem cutting it and some of my rulers have invisigrip and some don't. But the washed fabric does not seem to slip when I am cutting it. I dis like taking the time to make a quilt and have it bleed and colors run on the other squares so I wash all my fabric first. Any that does not maintain a color I just don't use.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:32 PM

By the way There is a new way to make geese; its called the 5minuite block. It works. only one seem is needed for a flying geese block.