Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Am I using this product wrong? >

Help! Am I using this product wrong?

Help! Am I using this product wrong?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 PM

I have used the invisigrip and found it to be what I was looking for. I don't like the dots because sometimes I need to "scootch" the fabric a tiny bit before I cut it, and the dots hold TOO well. The invisigrip helped me keep the ruler in place, but had enough slide that I could correct any minor errors before cutting. I did find that you still have to put some pressure on the ruler and try to anchor with your other hand, just like if you didn't have the grip. It just helps - doesn't make it so you can let go.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 PM

I found TrueGrips at my quilting store. They are flat donut shaped circles and keep the ruler close to the fabric. There is a website www.graceframe.com listed on the back and a phone # 1-800-264-0644. The price on the front is $3.00. There is a sheet of 15 and I don't remember if there were more. They are made by 3M and may be found in the scrapbooking area at JoAnn's. I haven't looked. I was not that impressed with Invisigrip.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 PM

I've found that many people sit down while they are using their rotary cutter, or even try to cut from side to side. I can only suggest you stand and use the full weight of your shoulder going down to the ruler and cut from your body to the top of the cutting board. Also as someone else suggested 'spiderweb' your fingers on the ruler, instead of leaving your hand flat with the weight of your shoulder only going to your wrist.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 AM

I have Invisigrip on my rulers too and still get some slippage. Could be that I've lost a lot of strength in my hands. Dr tested last week and was surprised that the left is much stronger than the right (good thing I can write with both).
but i've started trying just a small piece of painters tape where it won't obstruct my view & its not bad. We're all different & not 1 thing works for everybody.
i tried the sandpaper dots but they kept coming off
Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 AM

I found True Grips by Grace Co. work very, very well. They are a bit costly but I even use the areas between the dots on smaller rulers and it works.. I like them because they are clear.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 AM

There are some small grips called steady Betty, really cheap, they work. I also have invisigrip on my rulers, but you must pres firmly down on the ruler to keep it from slipping.
Pat
Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
Being a new quilter, I am still learning how to use all the products out there for quilters, but this one's got me beat. I am doing a kit quilt, and have to cut out 120 3x6 flying geese to fit together accurately in the main body of the quilt. I tried using the recommended ruler to cut them to no avail--I couldn't make them accurate. So I tried the Quilt in a Day Flying Geese ruler, but still couldn't keep the ruler from sliding. OK, so I ordered online some Invisigrip which is supposed to keep the ruler from sliding. It came this afternoon, applied it to my ruler and to my dismay, the ruler is as slick as ever! The invisigrip sticks good to the ruler, and as far as I can tell, can only be applied one way--it doesn't stick on the other side. Slick as ever. Have I wasted money on this product, or am I doing something wrong? At this point I feel it's bad enough to warrant a refund. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks, Connie
I have watched Quilt in a day alot but have never used the invisagrip product. I purchased small sandpaper disc from Joann frabrics and put them on the bottom side of my rulers. I place the ruler where I need it on the pattern and cut around it. It doesn't slide. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Placing your little finger directly on the fabric just off the edge of the ruler helps to stabilize it.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Many here have the tips of their finger gone or an ugly scar because of a mishap with a rotary cutter. Please use a safety tool when cutting.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

well, you have 7 pages of replies and no doubt heard this from at least a few:
I bought Invisigrip and eventually just gave up and took it off and applied sandpaper dots.
To each his own, it didn't work for me like I expected.