Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present >

Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present

Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present

Old 12-08-2010, 03:23 AM

I agree with those who said give her the check for a machine of her choice...she might be able to add money to it and get one a bit more expensive that she's drooled over for some time. (I would!!)
Old 12-08-2010, 04:34 AM

In my opinion, a choosing a sewing machine is a very personal situation ---- not only for the options and operation of a particular machine but also the dealer ---- Is he or she personable and seems to have the patience and expertise to teach you to operate the machine? No amount of research is useful if not done by the person who is going to be doing the actual sewing. I love the idea of wrapping a toy sewing machine or hand made gift certificate so she can choose her own.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
He should buy her a mini sewing machine or a toy one. This one is for 20 bucks on Amazon. Then she can open up the pretend sewing machine and still have a gift and it would be cute and fun. Then he can tell her that he would like to get her a newer nicer one and that he would take her shopping to get the one she wants :) I think a toy machine would be fun to have in her sewing room or something! And a cute gesture. More exciting than just cash.

http://www.amazon.com/Michley-LSS-20...774877&sr=8-11
I love this idea! Way more fun than just a cheque or cash in a card, and super cute! Now THAT I would LOVE!!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Ditto! Home made coupon, his wife needs to test 'drive' machines before buying and selecting the shop re. service, etc.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 AM

I would want to chose my own as well. My dh offered to help, and even though I was only spending 75.00, I knew what I wanted and didnt want in a machine.I think the wrapping up a mini sewing machine along with the cash(because you never know what good sales there are-a gc is too limiting) is a good idea
Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM

I would definately give her a check or cash. She may not want to purchase it shere he gets a gift card. They don't refund money on gift cards. Or take her to the quilt shop and let her sew on the machines and decide which one she likes, then go back and purchase it without her. But I would prefer cash to buy the one I choose.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 AM

I would suggest a home made certificate that allows her to go anywhere she wishes to purchase it rather than a particular store that limits what brand she can get. She might like to have a special stitch or design that one model might have but another doesn't. He should print out a certificate put it in a special basket or decorated box with smaller sewing items in it. Needles, snipping shears, pins, even a couple fat quarters for added color.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
If it were me I would get a picture of a sewing machine and enclose the check and picture in a card and let her pick her own machine out.
Best idea. Unless the guy is going to use it too!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 AM

I agree. He wouldn't want her to pick out a car for him!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Momof3Es
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
No way would I let DH or anyone choose a new sewing machine for me. A beautiful card with the check for a new machine would be the only way to do this. I would have your DH tell the guy Do not buy the machine, let her choose.
This is what I would suggest. If he wants to make it a little more interesting put it in a large box and wrap the whole thing. After she opens it he needs to tell her that he wanted to make sure she got the one she likes! He will be the envy of DH's across the world!
I agree. A sewing machine is very personal. I would rather be able to pick out exactly what I wanted. I know my DH would have good intentions but his knowledge of sewing is nil.