Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present >

Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present

Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present

Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 AM

My husband is a quilter also and purchased a viking Emerald for about $600.00 which he likes real well. He says it is really a nice machine for the price.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:44 AM

I would suggest getting a gift card in the amount he wants to spend because PREFERENCE should be his wife's decision and not a suggestion from someone trying to help although it is nice that he is doing this for his wife.jmho
Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Bernina has a couple of the Bernettes for about that price..they are good little machines from what I am told..soemthing for him to look into..sweet of your dh to help out a co-worker...means that they must talk proudly to each other about what wonderful things their wives are doing in the quilting room...blessings
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by lhavelka
So my DH sends me an email that states that his co worker wants to buy his wife a sewing machine for Xmas. Hers has problems piecing heavier fabrics together for quilts. She makes alot of quilts and just does the putting the blocks together. He wants to get her a new machine around $600 or so. Any suggestions out there from fellow quilters? I have a megaquilter and my friend has a juki but they are around $1000. Thanks!!!!
If he is open minded to look at vintage machines, you cannot beat a
singer 15-91 or 201, both are direct motor drive and will even sew leather, for way less than 600 you can get all the attachments. Also has arm ht of 51/2 inches by 8!!! Like the idea to let her pick it out tho. :D
Old 12-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
If it were me I would get a picture of a sewing machine and enclose the check and picture in a card and let her pick her own machine out.
I like that idea too!!! I have a Bernina and a Janome and for the price, I think Janome makes a great machine.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mary M
I love my Juki TL 98 Q for piecing quilts and quilting and they are around that price from Sewing Machines Plus. It outsews my expensive Janome by a whole lot and also sews through tough seams like a knife through butter. I doubt if he could go wrong with this machine because it could later be used with a quilting frame.
Yes, I agree, this machine is what I was going to suggest. I think either way he handles it, it will tickle her to death that he thought enough of the troubles she is having and wanted her to have a better machine. What a sweet DH! She is blessed.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM

I have a Kenmore which ran about $450.00 and I absolutely love it.

Been sewing on Kenmores for years........
Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

If it was me, I'd rather get a handmade card inside of a pretty pkg saying I could go pick out the machine so I could get what I needed.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
You can't go wrong with a Brother Nouvelle 1500 for that price 9" throat, drop feed. I love mine.
I have one too, and it is the best machine I have got. It goes through multi - layered denim without a hiccough. Very nice quilting as well. I wish I had found it before I bought a more expensive dud.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Ditto on the Kenmores, especially the 365.19nnn series. I raised my kiddos on Kenmore-sewn clothes, one machine, 25 years. Replaced with a newer Kenmore (early 365.19xxx) and a couple or more years ago added another Kenmore 365.19110. I have easily sewn through seven layers of denim with both of those machines.

They also have tons of additional feet, etc. available, have consistent service through Sears anywhere (we've moved quite a bit), and what's not available directly from Kenmore, i get from Janome parts dealers (I understand Janome is who produces Kenmores anyway).

Price of my last machine: $300 which leaves enough for a walking foot, FM/darning foot and a few other goodies as well.

Each machine has about 30 decorative stitches besides. I love using those.