Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present >

Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present

Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present

Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 PM

I remember when my hubby was looking around a quilt shop while I was purchasing some fabric. He looked at some Bernina's. Would you like one of these? Sure, you got $3000-6000 lying around. I almostbhad to pick him up off the floor. He had no clue what an high end machine cost. Won't even say what he said when we looked at a long arm at Quiltfest. :-)
Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM

I waited 30 years to get a new machine. My husband and I went out to buy one and we were going to spend $300.00 but we got into shopping and testing and had a ball. Lot's of luches out and met lots of friendly people decided one a Janome 6600P Paid $1,250. Waited to get the right one. Now I can's keep my husband off of it He took up quilting. Married 44 years. But got what i wanted almost now I have to paln my time on it.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM

For heavy sewing, I love my Juki 98 Q. It is a real workhorse. @ of my friends bought them after using mine and both love theirs. It is a straight stitch only but perfect for piecing, making heavy purses, etc. Can find one online for about $700.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I love my elna, but it's over the price range, but Janome have a good reputation, but there's no way I would buy a new Singer, old one, yes. Bellaboo is right, have him get a gift certificate and let her choose. What a great husband!!!
not a GC. that ties her to one store. CASH ONLY for the best deals.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:37 PM

OMG, tell him to give his wife a card with a handmade note that 'gifts' her with X amount of money to buy the sewing machine of her choice!

I wouldn't want my hubby to go out and buy me a sewing machine without me, nor to take advice from so many well-meaning, friendly ladies who all have their own favorite machines.

This is really a personal choice for the quilter to make.

IMHO

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM

hmmm, maybe it's a ruse to find out what kind of machine YOU would like?? That's be lovely indeed.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 PM

I say the same as you do need to try out the machine yourself to make sure you are comfortable with it
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
No way would I let DH or anyone choose a new sewing machine for me. A beautiful card with the check for a new machine would be the only way to do this. I would have your DH tell the guy Do not buy the machine, let her choose.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Lynn,

I hope you can convince him to give her the cash to buy what she wants, and make sure he gets creative in how he wraps and presents it to her. I'd use six, 100 dollar bills in six silly presents (package of needles, seam ripper, spool of thread, etc.).

With the cash, she can find great deals and sales to buy anywhere and may even opt for a used machine off of Craig's list or from a dealer, that cost much more new. I got my $1400 Bernina at a yard sale for $500. Some of the sites offer free shipping and financing, so she just might want to use the $600 as a down payment on her dream machine.

He is a great husband!

Diane
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
You can't go wrong with a Brother Nouvelle 1500 for that price 9" throat, drop feed. I love mine.
After almost selling mine, I have started to use it again, it is a keeper and a great machine,:)
Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 PM

I agree with the others - please tell him not to buy a machine no matter how much he has to spend! Give her a picture of any sewing machine and a cheque and offer to take her to the nearest dealer to choose from the many on offer. What suits one does not suit another. I would hate to have a machine chosen for me. Sounds like a good man to have!