Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! How would you machine quilt this? Picture included >

Help! How would you machine quilt this? Picture included

Help! How would you machine quilt this? Picture included

Old 05-16-2013, 12:45 PM

I have a similarly designed quilt, with blocks like yours, that I am deciding how to quilt. I have read quilting guidelines that suggest if the quilt blocks are mostly straight or angular rather than curved, that it is good to quilt in curves. Vice versa...for curved designed blocks, you could use straight lines to quilt. Having said that and wanting to use my walking foot on this one, I reviewed the petit design link and I am opting for Orange Peel or Giant Clam Shell. (Of course the curved lines and curved grids are easier, but not as much pizazz). After looking at them all, those two would have the least pivoting for the lap size quilt I am doing than the other designs. Of course, one could free motion and that would minimize the dreaded pivots. But the goal for this donated quilt is speed and I think the walking foot will accomplish that. Those are my thoughts. Hope it helps.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 PM

There are many different things you can do. The grid system is pretty easy, but easier still is to make it shaky then make it shaky in the other direction too. The quilt motif that looks a bit like still water would be great here. You go from side to side and every so often you make something like a small s drop down a little, keep going! You could also go up just keep it simple.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 AM

This would be a great quilt for FMQ - BUT if you're a beginning FMQer, you may not want to practice with this quilt - LOL. The package the batting was in will tell you how closely you need to quilt. Cross-hatching would be a good choice, and it's not hard to do. You mark the first line of stitching, and then use the L-shaped attachment that should have come with your machine to do the additional quilting lines a specific distance from previous stitched lines. ake that distance the one on the batting package. Repeat in the other direction. I would do them diagonally. Simple, and they look very good.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM

How about doodling daisies that would fit the spaces and quilting them through the paper with your darning foot for free motion quilting? Would that work for you? I do it sometimes on my quilts. That way it's just like tracing and if you use the Sulky clear thread, no one will notice if you miss the line once or twice..or more! ;-)
Old 05-17-2013, 05:37 PM

Wow! thanks for all the food for thought! this board is amazing!

I decided to do cross hatch with invisible thread measured 3 inches apart. I tried the marker but it disappeared before I could sew it so I used tape.

The L shaped attachment for my machine only goes to 2 or 2.5 inches.... So far I am about 35% done with the first set of diagonals. I'm not totally sure if I am going to the crosses or just the single diagonal. I still feel like I'm fighting the quilt here and there.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM

I agree that this is a really lovely quilt, and applaud your adventuristic (is that a word? LoL) spirit with wanting to try something new in regard to the quilting. I think you could try any of the above suggestions, and love the 31 quilting ideas...I'm sure anything you choose to do will look great and your daughter will love it! Nice job! BTW does anyone know where to find what the rose meander looks like that Jim's Gem mentioned? It sounds pretty.