Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help! I can't use a foot pedal

Many years ago when I had my Juki, my son went to Radio Shack and bought a dial controlled with wiring, with a small plastic case. He also picked up a cord that wired into the case, and the other end that would plug in to the machine where your foot pedal fits in now. The dial was red and is used as on and off, and also a speed adjuster. The cost was around $10.00. Is there someone that could help with that? I then put the case on the arm of the machine with rubber bands, close to the machine, so it wouldn't interfere with using the handles.

Blog Entries
    Is there a way that you could put the foot pedal next to the machine , where you could use your hands. I have mine on a quilting frame and I used duck tape and velcro to hold foot pedal to machine carrier where my Jukie sits and I use my hand to quilt. In your case , could you possibly tape the foot pedal to a board for stability and use your hand to push down on foot pedal. I admire you for still continuing to sew and quilt. I have a 51 year old daughter with MS .
    TxCaRose

Blog Entries
    What if you had a piece of hard flat styrofoam hanging around your neck and a place in the foam dug out to hold the foot feed. Then you could use your chin. Or the foam put on a stand in front of you, between you and the machine.? And put the foot feed in a place dug out.
    Last edited by barny; 08-26-2014 at 10:56 AM.

I am currently on hold with Sears Kenmore Sewing repair regarding your issue. I will let you know what I find out.

Can't use foot pedal... maybe you can use this?

Hi Cathy, I just got off of the phone with the guys at Sears/Kenmore and the Sewing machine repair shop.

There are two things you can do: You can get a Speed Box that will plug in where your foot pedal was and make the control work with your hands. You can either phone 1-336-629-2825, or write to TYSINGER MACHINE COMPANY. Route 9 Box 567 Hwy 64 W Ashboro, NC 27203.

The other thing you can do is to purchase a new machine that already has the hand control with it like the ladies had mentioned above.

I hope that this helps,
    Colleen

NanaBass-you are such a thoughtful & kind! As are all of the other people on this board for such wonderful ideas. My hats of to you all.
    Cathy

Cant give any better suggestions than others have given but I hope you can find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by izzybelle View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has graciously commented on my situation. My biggest problem is that I have no "real" control below my midsection--I have no balance or am not capable of controlling my butt, knees, or even back. Keep the ideas coming tho-that 's how I've solved my problems in the past-just keep trying. (My stubbornness has allowed me to do some great things in the past 20 years that I've had this disease--and I refuse to give up now!!)
    Sorry to be so cranky..but, will you people PLEASE read thru this thread, so as to not keep repeating these "wonderful" ideas that will not do a thing for this lady...
    I admire her courage so much....
    Of course, I do not know what it means to be this handicapped.
    I can only Thank God for that...

Would it be possible to use the wheel of your wheelchair to control the foot pedal? Roll up on the pedal to start and back off it to stop?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
    I have seen machines that have a bar that extends just below the table and is activated by pressing it with your knee. If you are able, that could be a way to go. I'm not at all sure what machine had that available, but I wouldn't think it to be too much of a challenge to adapt the foot control in such a fashion, especially for a sewing machine repairman.

My Viking does have a button that I can set to automatically sew until I press stop, but it's just way too automatic for me and I always get into trouble when I try to use it. I haven't been motivated to use it that much to get better at handling it.

Try the knee control thing; it didn't take much pressure at all and appeared to offer all the control of a foot device.

Good luck and blessings on you for hanging in there. Keep the faith!
    I just bought an old or maybe antique "White Brand" machine that has the peddle mounted on the inside under the table for knee use.

Blog Entries
    I use the stops start button on my juki and I always make sure a new machine has this option. My problems was a dog which slept on the foot pedal when I removed my foot. So very dangerous for me.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have not read all of the suggestions but thought I would mention that I often put my foot control on the seat next to me when I am in my wheelchair. With the hinge part facing the back of the chair I can control the machine fairly well by using the heal of my palm on the top of the peddle and my fingers squeezing the chair bottom. Best of luck to you!

Blog Entries
    I'm sure this may not help you, but I have a knee bar that came with my Bernina 930- I have never used mine, so I don't really know how well knee bars work. I may have to now as I broke my left foot last week, but so far have full use of right foot. Perhaps one or both of your machines is set up to accommodate a knee bar Hopefully something will work out for you.

I wonder if you could attach a hand held button to where the foot pedal goes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
    I'm sure this may not help you, but I have a knee bar that came with my Bernina 930- I have never used mine, so I don't really know how well knee bars work. I may have to now as I broke my left foot last week, but so far have full use of right foot. Perhaps one or both of your machines is set up to accommodate a knee bar Hopefully something will work out for you.
    The knee bar that came with your Bernina 930 is only for raising and lowering the presser foot, it won't run the machine.
    Sharon
    Bernina 930 owner

Can you try to make a pocket and put between your knees?
    I tried to draw an sketch but is no my best.

Try the quilt as you go method may be the thing for you. Good luck God bless
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Cathy I don't know about your Sears machine but the Grace Company has a speed control for the Juki machine. I have one for mine when I have it set up. Works great, you just use your thumb to start and stop and there is a dial on it for how fast or slow you want to stitch. They're around $60, it would be perfect.

You have lost your ability to use your legs. That means you can't walk but can you move your legs from side to side? If you attach your pedal to a table leg can you use your knee? If you can find a THIN piece of metal to slip under the pedal you can screw it to a piece of wood then screw the wood to the table leg. Cover exposed screws with some electrical tape just so you don't cut yourself. You might check with a physical therapist to see if he/she has any ideas.

Blog Entries
    My Janome has the start/stop button (which goes really fast) and a knee "thingy" to use when sewing. Right now I have a broken ankle (right foot) and was wondering how I would sew since I'm "right footed"... I switched to sewing with my left foot (didn't think it would work) but it works fine. Good luck.
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Only thing I can think of is a machine with push button alternative. My Brother machine has it and I love it. You sound like someone who WILL find a solution, you GO izzybelle!!!

What a gal! I am so proud there are women like you in this world that are so strong in the face of adversity...and what a wonderful group of creative people ready to jump in to support your effort...the gratitude I feel at being a part of such caring people brings tears to my eyes.

If you don't want to change machines I can only agree with the chin idea many have suggested...can think of several ways of adapting it but have to work them out in my mind...perhaps a type of shoulder harness with a Velcro Y strap at the neck attached to keep it in place.

You go girl! You're my hero...

Blog Entries
    This is a great little machine and you can buy it in expensively on Amazon. I have had mine several years now and cart it all over as it is light and easy for me to carry to classes etc. I know some who have had theirs for over 5 years. It has a variety of stitches as well and is a computer machine. I love mine.
    Last edited by danlynmartin; 08-27-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Adding info

Blog Entries
    Brother 6000 I is the machine and sells on Amazon.

Power Poster
    So sorry you have to deal with your MS, I know it can be difficult as I have friends and relatives with MS. I would recommend contacting your dealer or going online to see if you can get a knee control for your machine. My Mom had one and it was pretty handy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast