Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I can't use a foot pedal >

Help! I can't use a foot pedal

Help! I can't use a foot pedal

Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
I know you probably don't want to invest in a machine, but my brother cs6000i has an option that if you unplug the foot you can use a button to start/stop sewing. I have used it on a couple of occasions when I've had leg cramps.
I have a Brother CS6000i but it doesn't appear to have the start/stop feature. The machine I have was very inexpensive - under $200. How do you know which one to get? I also have a Janome 7700 with the start/stop feature. It was a lot more expensive.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 AM

I'm thinking a rod somehow connected to your foot pedal that you can control with your mouth or chin. If you affix the pedal to the arm of your chair, could you run an angled rod up toward your head to use your chin or mouth? Would that be comfortable? I'm not sure. I wonder if there is a miniature foot-pedal-like switch that you could bite? Just a thought
Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the link! I looked for any reviews but as yet have not found one. I wonder if this is a new item? Anybody used or tried it?

Originally Posted by Mouskalollie View Post
I can relate to this They make after market knee controls -- http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/705W.php Maybe that would be of some help?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
I know you probably don't want to invest in a machine, but my brother cs6000i has an option that if you unplug the foot you can use a button to start/stop sewing. I have used it on a couple of occasions when I've had leg cramps.
I don't have the Brother, but my Singer Quantum LE (more than 20 years old!) has the same feature. It just keeps on stitching until you push the button again. Maybe your machines do the same thing.

I truly admire you for hanging in there!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
Have you contacted the MS Association? They have lots of ideas on how to adapt everything imaginable.
Now, there's a good idea!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 AM

That is so generous of you Farm Quilter!! I love my machines, and can piece with no problem. I am quilting a queen sized quilt now and using the Juki as it has a larger harp space. Right now I'm trying to use my chin, maybe that will work. If not, I'll try the shoulder. Thanks to everyone for some awesome ideas!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 AM

I have the same Juki and I use a Grace sure stitch regulator on it. I've never used the foot pedal. This would be your besr option as the regulator can be mounted wherever you need it to be. Once turned on you have to push the button to stop.

Originally Posted by izzybelle View Post
I really could use some ideas! I have MS. Through the years I have lost the ability to use my legs, so I'm in a wheelchair. I have a Sears Kenmore and a Juki TL 2000 which I love. I'm able to piece my blocks by setting the foot pedal on the counter by my machine and use my elbow as my "foot". Works fine, no problems. Until recently I could put the pedal on the ground and quilt my layers to my satisfaction, but now I can't even do that. Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive aid to help me? Or, if there is anyone out there able to quilt in a different way without the use of your feet?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM

WOW! Great helps on here! The light dimmer switch looks like it would be a GREAT start!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by izzybelle View Post
I really could use some ideas! I have MS. Through the years I have lost the ability to use my legs, so I'm in a wheelchair. I have a Sears Kenmore and a Juki TL 2000 which I love. I'm able to piece my blocks by setting the foot pedal on the counter by my machine and use my elbow as my "foot". Works fine, no problems. Until recently I could put the pedal on the ground and quilt my layers to my satisfaction, but now I can't even do that. Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive aid to help me? Or, if there is anyone out there able to quilt in a different way without the use of your feet?
Years ago I had an old machine that someone had mounted the foot feed into the cabinet so that it could be run by a knee movement instead of with the foot. Maybe someone could do that with yours?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM

GrannieAnnie--your idea of mounting the foot pedal to a table leg is such a great idea. I could think of the knee pedal that my mom used to have on her Singer and I know some brands have that now---I can see the pedal on a table leg but maybe that is too far from Izzybelle's leg but possibly another leg attached to the sewing table.