Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help I did something stupid

OK, Vicki W, you didn't do anything stupid. For reasons not readily apparent to me, fabric will not tear straight any more. When I was a kid, we could pull a thread from one side to the other and get a straight line. I don't know what happened, but that doesn't work any more. It doesn't matter what you pay for fabric or whether it comes from LQS orWal Mart, you may not be able to tear it straight.

Now, get out your rotary cutter, your ruler and your mat and cut the offending fabric into four squares as large as you can get them and between each piece, put some bright and wonderful or some pastel and wonderful pieces--whatever will complement the front--sew it all together and the back will become a design element. And the baby may like it better than the front, just like kids like boxes better than the toys that came in them. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki W View Post
    OK, I did something really stupid today.

I finished handquilting a baby quilt. (Good so far)

I need to start another one and only had the binding to do. (Good)

I was going to even it off by tearing it on bias....(only the backing thank God)

It wasn't straight.

How can I fix it?

Blog Entries
    Yes, you can add a matching strip on the other side if you are using contrasting fabric. If you are using matching like I did, then just press the seam and go on with finishing the quilt. Doing both sides will look like an intended design.

BTW, I've had no trouble tearing fabric as long as I'm a few inches from the edge.
    Last edited by irishrose; 09-03-2012 at 07:58 AM.

any time a fabric isn't square after tearing it to get the straight of grain.1) dampen the fabric with hot/warm water, 2) grasp opposite corners and tug, this straightens the off kelter fabrics. focus on the corners where it isn't the same length.
    3) if this doesn't bring it back to a usable size, then once it is straight, cut it in two pieces and run another contrasting piece down the middle that brings it to a size that is large enough for the top. or put a border around the outside edges. Note the middle piece is easier.

Blog Entries
    Best way to fix it is just to splice it by sewing another piece of fabric to the main body. Yes, it will look odd at first but by the time you get the quilt squared up and the binding on, it will be barely noticeable. "Trust me" - it will be fine. I've had similar dilemmas with my own quilts and have added on the the back in this way and it works out fine.

Blog Entries
    Now, glass of water, deep breath and say "Thank you" to the beautiful folks on the QB who gave you the ideas to fix this and make it even better. Then "git 'er done" NOW. It's going to be even more beautiful than you planned!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Whoever cut this piece of fabric for you when you bought it really screwed up--and also cheated you out of usable fabric. This is one reason I always make sure I have or buy at least 1/2 yard more of large pieces of fabric.

Blog Entries
    You got it exactly, The backing is on, the quilt is quilted and I NEVER should have tried to take a short cut.

Now I have a side that is too short. can I piece the other side with a strip too so that they will match and bind?
    Sure!!! Creative solutions are the best!

Blog Entries
    I love Prism99's suggestion. Going to try that on my next quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    We're you going to bring the fabric around from the back as a finishing edge? Or are you planning to actually add a separate binding? If you just tore off what you were going to wrap around, not a problem - just use a traditional binding. I guess I don't know how you were trying to tear through quilting.
    I was going to pull the fabric over from the back as a finishing edge. And I really don't know know why at this point I thought I could/should tear...probably my scissors were in the other room. I did not tear into the quilted areas. I think I will try to piece a strip on both sides of the back so that it matches...Wish me luck...Won't ever do that again.
    Vicki W

Blog Entries
    You are doing fine. In a few days, you'll smile at your 'design'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    One of my favorite ways to piece a backing is to make a diagonal cut through the main fabric (not necessarily from corner to corner, just diagonal) and piece a strip of contrasting fabric in-between the cut edges. Creates a slash across the back that is quite attractive!
    That is an excellent idea. I put it to you that the pieced insert would be a good label spot--large enough to put in all relevant info, and can never be removed.
    Stephanie in Mena

You got it exactly, The backing is on, the quilt is quilted and I NEVER should have tried to take a short cut.

Now I have a side that is too short. can I piece the other side with a strip too so that they will match and bind?
    Can you put a label in the area that is now too short? I would use the entire area that is too short to create a label , that way you don't need it to match the other side. Besides, matchy-matchy is over-rated!!! Please post pictures with your solution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    Whoever cut this piece of fabric for you when you bought it really screwed up--and also cheated you out of usable fabric. This is one reason I always make sure I have or buy at least 1/2 yard more of large pieces of fabric.
    I am absolutely confused with what has happened and how others have answered. What was being torn and why?

I'm sure by now you've figured something out but you know this is going to be going round and round in my head tonight while my subconscious tries to understand!!! LOL!

I hope it has all worked out for you.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl View Post
    I agree with Cheryl. But...if that doesn't work, I would cut the piece in half and use a strip of one or more of your other fabrics from the front, sewn into the middle to enlarge your piece. Then square it up and cut to size. They will think you did it on purpose to make it more interesting! Good luck!
    I agree. When I'vehad a backing too small, I just added other strips to the middle of it & called it good! You can act like you meant to do that all along... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    She can't add in the center because it's already quilted. While trimming the quit for binding, she trimmed too much (by tearing and the grain was a little crooked), so the additions have to be on the sides. It will be fine. I'm waiting for a picture.

Blog Entries
    Instead of wraping backing to front for binding why couldn't you just cut binding from different material and bind it that way?
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    Instead of wraping backing to front for binding why couldn't you just cut binding from different material and bind it that way?
    That's what I was going say, but use a wider binding? I'm newish to quilting and there may be some commandment that says binding should be around 2 1/2", but would a wider border/binding work?
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

I will add a photo in a little while. I have fixed it and I think it looks ok.
    Vicki W

Power Poster
    I will add a photo in a little while. I have fixed it and I think it looks ok.
    Glad you got it fixed - and I'm sure you've learned a LOT with this experience!

I surely did learn a lot. Tearing should only be done when NOT attached to a quilt. Not all fabric has the pattern on it straight and things look better after you let yourself calm down.

I am attaching a photo of the backing here. I posted the entire quilt with the story behind it (see link)
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5491377
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vicki W

Blog Entries
    Nice save!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2