Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I Need a New Ironing Board Cover >

Help! I Need a New Ironing Board Cover

Help! I Need a New Ironing Board Cover

Old 08-03-2010, 05:50 AM

[I like that quilt! What is the pattern?[/quote]

Thanks!!
If you mean my avatar picture, it is a trial sampler I made of the 4-to-9 new kind of block I've seen on here, and wanted to try. Can't pass up something new to try, and people on here are amazingly talented and innovative.

It was made of more or less 5-1/2" squares, 2 sets each of 2 different blocks, and came out looking like this, more or less 20" square or something.
DBF loves it on her table.

Cross cut and rearranged
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90874[/ATTACH]

One finished block. Great table centerpiece.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90875[/ATTACH]

4 patches. And 2 more just like them. You can just see the cross cutting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90876[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90869.jpe   attachment-90870.jpe   attachment-90871.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

You could also check at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things
for ironing board covers.

I had bought a bigger (conventional shape) ironing board at a second hand store, and WalMart, Target, and KMart didn't have anything close.

I had already bought all the components to make my own, and then I found one at one of the two stores first listed. (Don't remember which one it was now)

To make my ironing board covers a big "snugger" - I safety pin a couple of strips of elastic "under" the ironing board - to pull the underneath edges tighter - especially at the wedged end.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
I like that quilt! What is the pattern?

Thanks!!
If you mean my avatar picture, it is a trial sampler I made of the 4-to-9 new kind of block I've seen on here, and wanted to try. Can't pass up something new to try, and people on here are amazingly talented and innovative.

It was made of more or less 5-1/2" squares, 2 sets each of 2 different blocks, and came out looking like this, more or less 20" square or something.
Thank you. That's amazing. I also looked it up on the board and went to a link for a tutorial.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 AM

I made my own big ironing board cover using heavy white duck fabric, 1 inch wide bias binding and drapery cord.

Cut the pattern for the fabric as described earlier by placing the fabric under the inverted board and trim allowing about 4 to 5 inches all the way around.

If you dislike turning the fabric under for a self hem, sew the casing using the 1 inch wide bias tape.

This is my trick in sewing on the bias tape. Place the tape on 1/2 the board at a time by beginning in the middle of one side and ending in the middle of the opposite side. By turning under the raw edge and the beginning and ending of the casing and reinforcing with extra stitching, you create a secure bias binding opening. Repeat with the second side.

"Thread" a generous length of drapery cord through 1/2 casing and cut. Repeat with a separate cord for the second 1/2 casing. Instead of only one area in which to tighten and adjust the cover for fitting snuggly, you now have two openings with cording available to be tied. :-)

When you launder the covering, air dry part way until slightly damp before reinstalling on the ironing board surface. By putting the cloth on the board at this point, you will have a nice smooth and snug surface. ----- I got this part of my tip from someone on the QB. Thank You!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
I made my own big ironing board cover using heavy white duck fabric, 1 inch wide bias binding and drapery cord.

Cut the pattern for the fabric as described earlier by placing the fabric under the inverted board and trim allowing about 4 to 5 inches all the way around.

If you dislike turning the fabric under for a self hem, sew the casing using the 1 inch wide bias tape.

This is my trick in sewing on the bias tape. Place the tape on 1/2 the board at a time by beginning in the middle of one side and ending in the middle of the opposite side. By turning under the raw edge and the beginning and ending of the casing and reinforcing with extra stitching, you create a secure bias binding opening. Repeat with the second side.

"Thread" a generous length of drapery cord through 1/2 casing and cut. Repeat with a separate cord for the second 1/2 casing. Instead of only one area in which to tighten and adjust the cover for fitting snuggly, you now have two openings with cording available to be tied. :-)

When you launder the covering, air dry part way until slightly damp before reinstalling on the ironing board surface. By putting the cloth on the board at this point, you will have a nice smooth and snug surface. ----- I got this part of my tip from someone on the QB. Thank You!
You truly sound like you know what you are doing. Could you come to Mississippi and help me? It was 103 degrees here yesterday; that's not the heat index, the true temperature.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:04 AM

quiltingmimipj, I would love to visit when your weather is a bit cooler. Our brother-in-law is a fantastic gardener and we just came home with fresh produce.....yum, yum!
Actually, it is only humid and 85 degrees here and I am doubly grateful for a.c. With my asthma, I am in the cooler house much of the time, but I can enjoy baseball on tv, our two shih tzu and quilt :-) Blessings to you. Keep safe!!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric

Thanks!!

I just made one, and it is the cutest. Sorry, I don't know how to put a picture on here.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM

I like to repurpose worn sheets (using the parts that are not worn or coarse). I use those straps that are elastic with clips on each end to secure - easy and works real well. I like a well padded board.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
As innovative as I think I am, I had never thought of this. I was thinking it needed to be made out of some special fabric, but the one on there is just regular fabric.

Thank you so much for this idea.
I'm pretty sure I bought mine at JoAnns, but I could be wrong. It has all the grids on it, measurements and 45, 60, 90 degree lines. It was reasonablly priced as I am VERY FRUGAL and I love it. It's kinda stained now, but the lines still work fine. Otherwise, I'd follow the other ladies responses and just make one. I wanted a premarked one so I didn't get bowed strips.