Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking a Quilt - What to use? >

Marking a Quilt - What to use?

Marking a Quilt - What to use?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Rob

I read so many conflicting bits of info that it hurts my head! :-)

If I want to mark a quilt for quilting....is the best thing just chalk? Will color chalk stain? And I think I read graphite is OK?

I do not want to use any markers that could accidentally be set by washing. I guess I just would rather not deal with that type of situation. So those marking pens I have seen are out of the question for me.

Plus I was reading that a washing soda can set a markers color. I make my own laundry soap (with washing soda added) so that would be out of the question too.

Thanks! Time for a piece of cake me thinks.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

test a small corner with a pencil and see that it washes out, and check any colored chalk you may want to use. i haven't had any problem with blue chalk coming out, but did once have a problem with a pink one. best bet really is to try what you like to draw with best and see that it washes out. then draw as lightly as possible and if you can use registration marks and less markings less is always better. my favorite is a good ole' pencil nice and sharp. i usually 'spot-treat' any showing after quilting before laundering.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM

I like graphite, but you should always make a test run on every fabric to see if it will wash out. If you choose to use graphite, make sure you only use as much pressure as needed. The lines should be as light as possible and still be useful as a guide. One more thing, some companies make graphite especially for quilting; it is made to wash out easier than traditional pencils.

Here are good vibes for your quilting, and please show us when it's done.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 PM

I personally don't like chaulk. It ends up rubbing off all over me. I either use a mechanical pencil or a water soluable marker and haven't had problems with either.

Hope this helps. :-D
Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM

I like to use a water soluable marker so far NO problems!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Try the Multi-Pastel chalk pencil in either white or light gray. They erase and will wash out. The new ceramic mechanical pencils in white also erase. The Sketch-N-Wash washable graphite pencil also erases and washes out. chalk pencils also work but rub off more easily. I recomment that when using a chalk base pencil that the lines are rubbed with terry cloth or something similar to get surface residu off before washing as water will cake chalk. Also I have fund the plastic lint or pet hair brushes work great in taking chalk marks off. They act almost like both an eraser and brush.

the water erable pens will wash out, but should be washed and not wiped or spritzed. They should not set with heat unless left in sunshine a long time. There is a warning on the packaging that they should not be washed with detergent with certain chemicals.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

test every fabric with every item you mark with.
and washing out marks is done without any detergent at all first. soap does set some marks.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

I save soap bar slivers (white soap) for marking on dark fabrics.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 AM

I'll be honest, it's just plain hard to know. I've always had very good luck with cheap chalk, Roseart, as it doesn't have the binders in it to make it stick like the more expensive chalk. Also, I use blue wash away markers, and have never had a problem. I use Miracle Chalk (iron away version) sometimes, which has always worked very well for me.

I've heard using Crayola Washable Markers works well, but I haven't used them (many quilters do).

In testing, be sure you're testing on EXACTLY how that fabric will be in your quilt, meaning unwashed or washed, due to the chemicals used in processing. Then you will know how your detergent affects the outcome, and how the marking method you use works with the unwashed/washed fabrics.

I quilt for myself and charity, and never know how the charity tops come to me. Therefore, I only use the Roseart chalk on them, and use a good lint brush to remove it. I do have a longarm, which means the chalk markings will stay on better for me then they did when I used my Singer. For my Singer, I used a blue wash-away marker in order for it to stay on, or used paper to quilt the pattern through if I didn't want to mark it.

There simply isn't a single answer that's right for everyone in every situation. You will have to test several to see what works best for you on both a light and a dark quilt.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:29 AM

I use washable crayola thin markers. It makes my traditional quilter friend crazy! It makes her very nervous. I have never had a problem and it washes right out. I usually mark with a little pressure and don't use the really dark colors. For dark colors I use the yellow chalk powder that comes in the tube with the little wheel. I cannot remember what it is called but I got it at Joanns. I never have a problem with that one either. Good Luck....