Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I saw a Singer 15-91 Today!

I am so relieved to hear all of these great things about the 15-91. I bought one last weekend at a yard sale for $20.00. It's in a portable case (not the original) and has no manual or attachments, but I liked it right away, had to have it . . . You know . . .

I think that this is what the cabinet for the 15-91 I'm thinking about buying looks like. If not, than it is similar to it, with the three drawers of storage and the bench.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ny/65_cab.html

50 is a steal - those machines are GREAT for FMQ - you can shove the quilt all over the place and machine stays put!

Blog Entries
    Get her! My 15-91 is great, also from 1950-51. Does this one have the centennial metal oval on the front?

She will never let you down and will try her heart out to sew through anything you can fit under the presser foot.

I don't think so. Looking up the serial number says she was made after May 1952. The next batch was started in Sept. 1952. That was BEFORE my birthday, so she is just 6 years younger than I am!! As if that makes a difference.

Did you get it? Great price.

For that price, I would grab it up and run. I payed $113 for my 15-90 and was in hog heaven to get it at that price, it is in perfect shape with all the attatchments and manual, bench with padded top and room for storage. It sews like a dream. Run!

You never know when you will need a spare machine. I say go buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    Go get it! My husband told me if I brought something in the house, something had to go out. I'm OK with that. He still has his clothes and a toothbrush. It is looking dicey for his clothes.
    Every so often I clean out my husband's closet, and find more clothes he doesn't need . . . although he never seems to be around when this happens . . .

My MIL gave me hers and it is the best present I ever got from her. I love mine straight stitch and will sew through 6 layers of denim like butter. Love, Love, Love this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Janis
    They are asking $50.00 for it. I can always ask if they will take less.
    I would buy it in a heartbeat! Great price! I have 3 and love them. The 15-91's are gear-driven, also.

Before buying any sewing machine it is helpful if you take into account what your sewing needs are. A model 15-91 is a true workhorse and it can handle anything from linen to heavy upholstery, drapes and even boat sails. It is one very reliable machine and it is also very easy to service yourself. It is also convertible to a treadle, which is a big plus to many folks dedicated to using machines without tails (meaning no electricity cord.) The price of $50 sounds pretty reasonable, especially if it has any accessories and an owner's manual. Most of the 15-'s I have here cost more than $50 -- yes, I do have a few of them.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware (my wife's favorite quilting enabler)

Go get it! My husband told me if I brought something in the house, something had to go out. I'm OK with that. He still has his clothes and a toothbrush. It is looking dicey for his clothes.
    Too funny!! Love it.

Blog Entries
    did you bring it home yet????
    pictures we want pictures.....hope the attachment in the box is the buttonholer makes the best ever buttonhole.
    if it is the zig zag attachment put it in the bottom in the back and never use it..it is aweful...treats the fabric bad

I too would get it. These machines just purr. Even if you have the cabinet closed when not in use it makes a great ironing/cutting surface. You won't reget it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ehehehhahahha....amazing...love it :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goaf1968
    Before buying any sewing machine it is helpful if you take into account what your sewing needs are. A model 15-91 is a true workhorse and it can handle anything from linen to heavy upholstery, drapes and even boat sails. It is one very reliable machine and it is also very easy to service yourself. It is also convertible to a treadle, which is a big plus to many folks dedicated to using machines without tails (meaning no electricity cord.) The price of $50 sounds pretty reasonable, especially if it has any accessories and an owner's manual. Most of the 15-'s I have here cost more than $50 -- yes, I do have a few of them.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware (my wife's favorite quilting enabler)
    The 15-90 can easily be converted to treadle...the 15-91 has the potted motor that makes conversion difficult at best.

Blog Entries
    Explain to hubby that different sewing machines are needed because each has its own "strength" and completes certain tasks easier. Just like his tools, one size of screwdriver will not fit every screw! (On the other hand, if he wants you to just go ahead and buy a new, state of the art machine for several thousand dollars, tell him you might be able to find a "one size fits all" machine!)

I think that this is what the cabinet for the 15-91 I'm thinking about buying looks like. If not, than it is similar to it, with the three drawers of storage and the bench.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ny/65_cab.html
    That is the same cabinet as my 15-91 I inherited last Nov. I LOVE it....Mom let me sew on it when no one else dared for fear of death. It's a sweet machine. Get it. The other attachment could be a zig zagger.

YES!!!! No wonder I couldn't find it!! It is a 15-91 I lust looked up on where I'd written the info and realized I'd made a mistake. Thank you Charlee for pointing it out. There, I changed the subject to the right numbers. Now maybe others won't know that I goofed, unless they read our posts about it.
    You wrote.."I lust looked up, etc".... Yes, I think you really want it. LOL!!

Yes, the attachments are enough to warrant saving a grand old lady!!! I hope you do.

A Singer 15-91 was my first vintage machine, purchased at a yard sale. I refinished the cabinet and described it here - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22150-1.htm

I think $50 is a great price with the bench and attachments. I say go for it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
    pictures we want pictures.....hope the attachment in the box is the buttonholer makes the best ever buttonhole.
    if it is the zig zag attachment put it in the bottom in the back and never use it..it is aweful...treats the fabric bad
    My zigzag attachments are great! Absolutely love the things...wonder if there's something wrong with yours? What does it do to the fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
    My zigzag attachments are great! Absolutely love the things...wonder if there's something wrong with yours? What does it do to the fabric?
    I love the zig zag attachments too!

Blog Entries
    it yanks the fabric all over the place....obviously it has to move the fabric because it is a straight stitch machine but yeck ...... so i bought a serger that works great and then later a BERNINA 1630 so have not even had the zig zag out in 17 years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast