Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I think I need an intervention! >

Help! I think I need an intervention!

Help! I think I need an intervention!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 AM

Then just get another one.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 AM

Default withdrawls

When I get the urge I sort my fabric. I see it all and think "Do I really need more?" Of course I do, so i lie to my self and hold off for awhile. The problem is then I feel I did so good I deserve to buy and buy way to much. I figured out if I see something I want buy it. The withdrawls cost me even more.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Cool No known cure............

Sorry, but there is no cure...... we are here to support you and help you justify your addiction.
Now my "excuse" is - I am saving for retirement because I might live far away from a quilt shop.

Happy Quilting ~!!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:27 AM

I started like this too, buying everything in sight that appealed to me until I had a stash that was very large. I put the fabric in color categories and type-of-fabric categories, like floral, etc. in decorative boxes of the same color as the fabric. I does become a compulsion, for sure but now I look at what I have and realize I won't live long enough to do all I want, SO I have stopped buying except very small amounts from the quilt shop. It does no one any good if it's not used, so I am doing Linus blankets all the time and I vow to get a manageable stash and be much more balanced in the future. The cost is just getting too high to buy on a whim, at least for me.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 AM

when are you going again? I'll drive!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 AM

I have always thought that quilter's need their own recovery program !
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Ah! And just wait until the vintage machine addiction starts!!
In Monroe Mi. Small antique store has old Singer treadle machine in very good condition. All it needs is a belt and a little TLC for the cabinet. $89. They also have a smaller machine by Gaylord? Not familiar with that name but looks like a Singer only smaller. Nice small cabinet. Seems to work just needs cleaning $79. If I didn't have insurance bills and vet bills coming up both would have a new home even tho I have no place to put them
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM

A stash is also built by going to thrift and consignment shops. Sometimes sewers downsize by donating to or selling through these shops. And then there are yard sales to grow your collection of fabric. And please do not forget the ready-mades available through those shops.

I confess I like using quilting and quilting techniques in conjunction with garment construction (see the latest "threads" magazine #160, "Sophisticated Deconstruction" for example ). Garment construction means buttons and zippers, etc. Thrifts and consignment shops are great for this too. And then I've bought garments that didn't fit me or anyone I knew; but, they had great sewing ideas enshrined in them. I keep them in my "sample garments" box. A soda and a quiet time makes going my SG box a real pleasure.

May I quit confessing?

Happily, Another Enabler
Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Hi,
Start by only buying what you have a pattern for and plan on making. I find that by buying just because it's on sale with nothing in mind, that it barely gets used. It either isn't enough for what you want to make or you can't find the right blend of fabric to go with it. My stash is mostly left over pieces from different projects. You'd be surprised how quickly that grows, so my advice is to start slow and finish what you start. You'll have more money to work with when you get to your next project. Just my opinion.
Sandy
Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 AM

I can't help you --I just donated 95% 0f my clothes and shoes and 1/2 of my household furnishings to have room in the moving truck for all my fabric and accessories My son thinks I have to many machines that I should sell a few Well now I am certain the hospital sent me home with the wrong baby 37 yrs ago