Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I think I need an intervention! >

Help! I think I need an intervention!

Help! I think I need an intervention!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish View Post
Just go with the flow, baby. LOL. I don't know how many people here will be able to help you, and I certainly suffer from the same affliction. Enjoy it until the plastic melts.

The title of your thread cracked me up.
Actually, this the LAST place you should be looking for help... LOL! I think we are what are referred to as "enablers"... LOL! One of (many) New Year's Resolutions is always not to buy any new fabric all year. Then that morphs into "unless it's on sale:. And by about the end of January, it's all bets are off! Heck, I placed 6 orders this week alone! Granted, it was all (well, most of it anyway) on sale, but still... As often as the UPS guy is at my house, my neighbors are probably starting to *wonder*! LOL! Enjoy! Life is short & there much worse things to be hooked on!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Another enabler here! You are talking to the wrong choir. lol
Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM

I am NOT the one to assist you. My addiction has gone like wildfire this month. Since Christmas, I have spent over $1000 on fabric, quilting stuff and a new sewing machine (only $150.)I swore when I began quilting, there would NEVER be a stash, but here I am wallowing in it. I fall in love with the fabrics that are on sale too. The problem is not just buying one of them, but thinking just how many yards I would need in the entire line to make one ginormous quilt! So, it's not just 2 or 3 yards one fabric, it's a total of 12-15 yards to make it all.
I have started deleting the fabric shops I am receiving emails from just to prevent myself from buying fabric. Beginning to thinkI am seriously going to have to start a QA for Quilter's Anonymous if I can't get this under control. In three years, I am shocked at everything I have purchased. In all honesty though, I retired then and am happier than I have been in ages because I have finally found something I absolutely LOVE to do. No stress in my life has been such a nice change. Loving art has expressed itself through quilting for me, which makes me very happy!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM

I love this addiction! LOL! I am right with you and probably most of the board is too!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:00 PM
gus

I can't help I'm building a bigger room
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM

Sorry hon, this is the last place to ask for that kind of help. If you listen closely you can hear us whispering..."go ahead and buy more fabric, you deserve it and you need a stash."
Old 02-25-2012, 08:50 PM

You have read quite a few humorous comments in this thread, and I completely understand your question. We are ALL passionate about quilting and our love of fabric on this site. Now, here is the not-so-humorous side of stash building. I learned to quilt from a person who was a compulsive buyer. She had absolutely astounding amounts of fabric, most of which she couldn't even remember she had in the bottom of boxes and bags. She would suggest that I buy fabrics that I liked in order to build my stash, and because "if you wait it won't be there tomorrow!" I listened to her, built a nice stash and then woke up one day realizing with a shock that I had way too much money invested in fabrics, some of which I may never use because it does kind of go out of style or because I am tired of looking at it. Also, color trends do change from year to year. Here is my suggestion: measure and fold and label ALL the fabric you have. Know how much $$$ you have tied up in fabric. Understand that yes, you may love this piece of fabric at this store today, but in reality, do you actually have a plan for it and will you make the project within 6 weeks? Yes this fabric may be gone in a week or two, but guess what...there will be more fabric on that shelf next week and next year, and you may even love it more. I only hope I will live long enough to make all the projects I have fabric for. Getting back to the measured and folded and labelled fabric...once you are organized, things won't be forgotten in bins or in bags in the bottom of the closet. Now you can go shopping in your own fabric stash. Right now I am trying to use only the fabric that I already own. I will break down and buy neutrals or whatever is needed to actually complete a project, but no more binge buying for me. BTW, that person who taught me to quilt unfortunately got herself deep into debt and had some serious challenges to face. A word to the wise...
Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Hello, my name is Dotha and I am a fabriholic! lol
I already have the big stash built up and that big stash does not stop me from wanting more and more and more. Yes, we are all enablers here, most likely. It is fun. I love my fabric.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Seriously, though, the lady who posted above me is right. There will always be beautiful fabrics. Many fabrics that I absolutley loved at the time are ugly to me now. I wonder what was I thinking. I have almost finished a quilt that I loved the fabric. Now I look at it and think 'yuk'. I don't know what hte answer is. I have found that the stash is really nice when I am trying to put to gether a group of fabrics for something. I love having what i need in the stash. I used some of that stash for my granddaughter's elephant quilt. Very satisfying but again, I had to purchase more than I had stashed. Now fabrics are getting so expensive so I am glad I have stuff to work with. I just have to stay out of the shops....and there are no shops close to me anymore. I worked in a shops for 18 years so you can imagine my temptations along the way. I have way too many books and magazines too. I am in the process of purging.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Welcome to the club!!!!! I am not sure if there is sa (stashers annoymous sp?) around, but it won't work because we would just tell each other about the sales, and we would all be on a 'field trip!' lol