Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine! >

Help! I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine!

Help! I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here is the gadget that came with one of my machines. http://www.amazon.com/KingSo-Threade.../dp/B00STDMKBW
it works much better than i thought it would
Thank you Nan. I just ordered one, my needle threader on my Bernina broke ..I think the plastic just gave way from a lot of use. And I never looked into a replacement thinking it would be $$

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 06-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I use a swatch of white fabric (actually a piece of 1/2 in. wide elastic) and hold it behind the eye of the needle. With that white behind the needle, the eye is very easy to see.
This is exactly what I do. Sometimes I just put my finger behind the needle and it helps. The problem with the wire loop is that you still have to find the eye!!! Ann
Old 06-11-2015, 08:23 PM

I put a white note card under the presser foot and it helps me to see where to thread the needle. I have also used tweezers to position the thread.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 PM

here is the gadget that came with one of my machines. http://www.amazon.com/KingSo-Threade.../dp/B00STDMKBW

That''s the one I use. I only have one eye that sees. The price is excellent. I bought mine at JoAnn's with a 50% discount. Will be watching what you choose and if it works.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 PM

What we all don't always think about is that old sewing machines thread from the side, Some towards the inside and like mine, toward the outside. It really makes it much more difficult to see the needle opening. I use a wire needle threader. I also like the suggestion about the needle threader-inserter from Amazon.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 PM

A long handle wire loop needle threader (the kind sold for threading overlocker needles) might be useful.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:03 AM

I have the Dritz brand that looks just like this. It is also great when I put a new needle in because you can hold the needle with this tool.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:14 AM

A Viking machine I had (1+) came with a white mark embedded on the ankle behind the needle. Don't know if it was tape, but you can use a small white piece of tape in that spot.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:36 AM

Go to Walmart and buy a couple needle threaders - used for hand sewing - and use them for your machine needle. I do.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 AM

I use the wire needle threaders made for hand sewing. I find the smaller ones don't work for me, I use the larger ones. They aren't available at my Walmart but I order them on ebay. They look like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522094[/ATTACH]

My machine has a very thick shank and after a while the wire in my threader gets too bent to be useful. (because I have to bend it around the shank). I buy these needle threaders by the dozen.

I find they work great for me, it's much easier to push the stiff wire through my needle hole than a bendy piece of thread.
Attached Thumbnails threader.jpg