Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Inherited UFO catherdal window >

Help! Inherited UFO catherdal window

Help! Inherited UFO catherdal window

Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 AM

I think I would try to take the bottom right corner off and move it to the top to make a rectangular shape out of it. It would be more useable that way. Her work would still all be there only positioned differently.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 AM

It is half of a double quilt, so where is the other half?
Or put the other half on at the top and quilt to match the side you have then you could colour in if you wish. I would just leave a plain whole cloth half of quilting . It leaves you with the half you have showing up and no undoing as that half is finished with triangle edges.
It's beautiful.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Dottymo,
Unfortunately there is no other half. I have been carrying this around for many years. The construction was old style cathedral window, she started with about a 14 inch square then sewed and folded it down to a 5 inch square. So I have 4 layers of white. She sewed the squares into a strip, then the color square was applied and the white edges were folded back and stitched down to hide the raw edges. Then she added that strip to the rest of the block then started to cover the seam with the additional color squares. If I tried any kind of whole cloth I think I would have to use 5 layers of white to compensate for the weight. Yes it is beautiful at a distance, up close on the back there is so many lines of stitching sometimes looking at it makes my eyes ache.

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
It is half of a double quilt, so where is the other half?
Or put the other half on at the top and quilt to match the side you have then you could colour in if you wish. I would just leave a plain whole cloth half of quilting . It leaves you with the half you have showing up and no undoing as that half is finished with triangle edges.
It's beautiful.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM

IMO, what you have was intended to be as it is. If you'll notice, the long "top" edge is a row of CW, and the next inset row is all white. To me, that indicates the top was to be the top. Perhaps she was adding along each of the other sides aiming at a large quilt.

Still, I'd somehow use it as it is!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 AM

I would not cut it either... understanding the construction for Cathedral windows, it would be very difficult. I am sorry, I don't have a better idea at the moment (haven't had my coffee yet ) but will ponder it awhile and post if I can come up with something
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM

Make teddy bears for all the grandkids out of it!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 AM

I have one constructed like this that my grandmother gave me. I believe the two sides that have the half-triangles of prints were intended to be finished edges. As a matter of fact, I think if you fold and stitch the edges of those half triangles back it gives you a really pretty scalloped edge. To me, the straight edge (which at first glance would appear to be finished) actually indicates that she intended to add more rows. What you do with it will depend on whether or not you want to add more fabrics or keep it just using her fabrics. I kind of like the bed runner idea and really, who says that bed runners have to be rectangular shaped? Or it could be folded and displayed over a quilt rack so you don't see the unfinished part. The one my grandmother made for me is a full-size and holey-moly it is heavy!!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM

No real grand kids yet just one we have taken under our wings. Still waiting.

Originally Posted by dogsgod View Post
Make teddy bears for all the grandkids out of it!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM

This may sound really crazy but could you hang it on the wall behind a bed with the point down and use it as if it were a headboard???? No cutting involved. Just one large piece of wall art.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 PM

Thank you for looking at the continuing project I did decide to create the square, there are updated pictures here.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t228591.html