Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me choose! >

Help me choose!

Help me choose!

Old 08-03-2019, 11:52 AM

In case you were wondering, here's what it currently looks like. I still have to find a backing in stash, the one I'm thinking about should be plenty big if I want to add borders, but I'm thinking just binding.

I made some cutting mistakes, thought I needed 30 blocks with background fabric but only 24 or something like that. Argh! But I recovered, you can't even see that the four outer corner setting triangles are pieced a bit.

If I had to do it all over again I would go with a lighter background, still haven't found that perfect piece of mossy green... But I learned a lot about myself and my friendship while making this and it is an act of love and will be given and received with that understanding
Attached Thumbnails nicole-top.jpg  
Old 08-03-2019, 12:05 PM

I really love your current choice. The green brings out all the different fabrics and I believe the lighter ones would have muted if you had gone with a blue fabric.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:23 PM

You worked fast and it turned out very well!
Old 08-03-2019, 12:45 PM

It went together very fast and surprisingly easily. I did not layout the top before piecing only after the blocks were made. There are two blocks, both 4-patches (although one I call L+1 and is actually only 3 pieces). All straight sewing, no partial seams, no Y seams, nothing but basic straight line 4-patch mode, except for the diagonal set. I made all the L1 blocks first, relying on contrasting fabrics and not where they were going to end up. Then each of the +1 part of the block needed (two) sets of one square of it and the background.

First you layout the L1 blocks on point, then fill in the 4-patches with those two-sets... clear as mud but I took some pictures along the way.

I could have a lot of my OCD fun with this design... color grading each set from light to dark. Playing with prisms and colors of the rainbow. Alternating light and dark instead of similar values with contrasting colors.

I think if I ever do make it again, I'd change the orientation to that shown in the "done"picture, but with no solid squares. Just stacked up hearts. The solid squares are actually the long edge as originally designed and as shown in the layout shot.
Attached Thumbnails nicole-layout.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-03-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
In case you were wondering, here's what it currently looks like. I still have to find a backing in stash, the one I'm thinking about should be plenty big if I want to add borders, but I'm thinking just binding.

I made some cutting mistakes, thought I needed 30 blocks with background fabric but only 24 or something like that. Argh! But I recovered, you can't even see that the four outer corner setting triangles are pieced a bit.

If I had to do it all over again I would go with a lighter background, still haven't found that perfect piece of mossy green... But I learned a lot about myself and my friendship while making this and it is an act of love and will be given and received with that understanding
It's looking good.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:52 PM

I prefer the lower blue in your first photo. And strongly vote for flannel backing -- more comforting.