Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Me Find Quilt Stops on my TRIP!!! >

Help Me Find Quilt Stops on my TRIP!!!

Help Me Find Quilt Stops on my TRIP!!!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 AM

Ah, I know. It's tough when you get inside a quilt shop.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Definitely don't skip Lancaster County, Pa. Stores in Intercourse are fabulous........and when you get to Maine look for a Marden's!!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 AM

We just came back from TN and NC, my husband stopped in Gatlinburg at Mountain Stitches by Susan and in Waynesville, NC at Quilters Quarters. Both of them were great shops and very nice ladies to talk with. Have fun.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by janet58
While in Maine plan to visit Mardens stores, nearest to Kennebunk
is Sanford Maine. You will be glad you did visit they have large fabric department and prices that you won't believe. There are more of these
Mardens in southern Maine
I just got back from Maine. Just a word of caution about Mardens, not all of them have fabric. I googled and got all the stores in the chain and picked the two closest to where we were and niether had fabric.

Did find a nice store on the way home in N Conway - Rt 302 in NH, right near the NH/ME border. Sorry can't remember the name, it' a block from a covered bridge.

But I agree with Lancaster, I live an hour from there and there are tons of places from larger shops to shops in homes.
HAVE A GREAT TRIP AND BE SAFE! :D
Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM

I am so glad that Mimi posted the warning about Marden's in Maine. That said if someone has mentioned a SPECIFIC Marden's on here, they'll have loads of fabric and at a good price. I shopped there on my way to Nova Scotia in June coming and going. We were on trikes but I mailed three packages home and crammed the considerable spare room we had. Their selection and prices are GREAT! We're going back next year just to shop Marden's!!

Too bad you aren't going through North Carolina one way or the other. Mary Jo's Cloth Store in Gastonia (30 min west of Charlotte on I-85) is a huge favorite of quilters. Tour busses make regular stops there. MJ's can't be beat for selection and price, IMHO, and worth a 3 or 4 hour detour to shop there.

I agree that Lancaster has lots of great quilt cotton shopping. DH took me there this spring but I favor MJ's and Marden's over these shops especially if price is a factor.

Have fun and let us know what you discovered and where!!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Try to hit the AQS Museum in Paducah, Ky. Worth it for the stained glass quilts alone.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:43 PM

I just found the neatest shop in Portsmouth NH. It is a beautiful historic town right on the coast on the way to Maine. I cannot wait to go back with my quilter daughter when we visit family in eastern MA.