Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Me Find Quilt Stops on my TRIP!!! >

Help Me Find Quilt Stops on my TRIP!!!

Help Me Find Quilt Stops on my TRIP!!!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 AM

I agree, Lancaster is on my list to visit in September. Google it and see them all in that area. Its amazing.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
detour through Lancaster Pa. You will not be disappointed. Alos the original Dear Jane quilt is in a museum in Vermont. I am not sure if it is on display right now but I would Love to go see it one day.
Not sure, but I believe that might be at the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne, VT. If you're going through upper NY state, you'll have to cross the lake by ferry or take the long way so you'll miss lots of great fabric shops. Would be best to drive the length of VT where you'll find alot of shops but spread out. Map your route and let us know we'll have a better idea where to advise visits.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
detour through Lancaster Pa. You will not be disappointed. Alos the original Dear Jane quilt is in a museum in Vermont. I am not sure if it is on display right now but I would Love to go see it one day.
Not sure, but I believe that might be at the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne, VT. If you're going through upper NY state, you'll have to cross the lake by ferry or take the long way so you'll miss lots of great fabric shops. Would be best to drive the length of VT where you'll find alot of shops but spread out. Map your route and let us know we'll have a better idea where to advise visits.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 PM

If you are going to Vermont and then Maine, you will have to pass through NH somewhere and there is a GREAT shop called "The Bunkhouse" in Lyndeborough, NH - like it more than Keepsake. It's up a hilly back road off Rt 101 but well worth the trip. Web site is www.thebunkhousequiltshop.com

Also about 20 minutes south of Kennebunkport right on Rt 1 in Cape Neddick is Knights Quilt Shop - Web site is www.mainequiltshop.com

More shops in lower NH and Mass if you're interested - let me know and I can give you some names.

Have fun and leave lots of room in your car for fabric!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 AM

I have been to Knights in Maine. I hit it on a 25% off sale day and went nuts.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by OCQuilts
I agree, drive thru Lancaster, I'd encourage you to veer just into NJ . Exit 40 on Rte 95 in Pa. Olde City Quilts is a great shop that is mostly unknown....4000 bolts and growing...Gammill and Bernina Machines, 10,000 Sq ft We are worth the trip......theres also another cute shop right up the road!
Great advice, great fabric shops as well as Amish furniture, crafts, etc. One thing to note, most of the shops are closed on Sundays.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
wow, have fun on your trip

listing of quilt shops, I would call ahead to find out if they are still open and also hours

http://quilterstravelcompanion.com/q...ilt-shops.html
craftybear, you have done it again! Thanks for the URL. I noticed most of the shops have URL's in their ads so you can preview your stop before you shop. However, in my life I've found very few shops that I didn't want to visit -- very, very few!

Now if we can just save up enough money for the gas And the fabric so we can start packing!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by matraina
In the Portage Lakes area of Akron, OH, there's a shop called "A Piece in Time". I've taken lessons there. On State Rd. in Cuyahoga Falls, OH is a shop called "Stitch, Piece, and Purl". It is also very nice. There are also a couple in Canton, OH and Louisville, OH; but I can't remember the names offhand. If interested, I will get them for you.
I was just in Stitch, Piece and Purl today and they are getting out of the quilt store business. They are going to focus strictly on yarn and stitchery which has always been the bulk of their business.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Oh, shoot! It's close by. But does that mean they'll be having a sale?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 PM

They are having a sale! This week everything is 35% off, and then it goes up by 10% every week through August. I was forced to make a purchase, what could I do!