Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me here Ladies!

Beautiful fabrics - what a wonderful gift for the newly weds.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Your fabric selection is beautiful and whatever you do with it should be stunning. Let the fabric tell the store such as the 10" block RunninL8 mentioned with a a thin batting. It would be closest to the Pottery Barn picture and easier on you the quilt maker. Sounds like you've had your share of frustration without sewing a stitch so far.

What is D9P?

Go with what you have selected -- those prints are similar in design to her picture and look lovely. She probably doesn't have enough experience to be opinionated at this point. However, she will definitely have an opinion when it is finished. Keep it simple to reduce the investment of time on your part. Whatever happens, you will have to be gracious about it, keeping in mind that the road ahead for your sister with this new person in the family may be a bumpy one and she will appreciate your support.

Dayle

Don't be to hard on her, she probibly just doesn't speak your language..."blocks, pattern, Puffy, comforter or duvet style" eek...I know when I go to the hairdresser I take a picture of what I would like, my hairdresser appreciates it very much, I don't speak her language either! Be happy she gave you a great start on what she would like and dive in and go for it...you have chosen beautiful fabrics!!
    You may be only one person in the world,
    But you may also be the world to one person.

Senior Member such a sew and sew's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe by showing you this picture, she was trying to tell you that she wants large blocks. Spare yourself from a lot of extra work. Your fabrics are wonderful.
    Song: "Keep your eyes on the prize."

I love your fabric choice, and ten-inch blocks will showcase those beautiful prints.

I see them as excellent choices........and I am not the flowery type. My sister-in-law would love it. I made her and BIL a "5 yard quilt" for anniversary, although that only fit's a full size and she has queen with extra to go over pillows and hang down more on edges. So it became my 8 yard quilt. Very easy pattern and those fabrics would be perfect. I will will do a search and send to you.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Blog Entries
    I would keep it fairly simple and choose more of a "modern" pattern not traditional. I think there is a line called "City Blocks"? or something like that. It has patterns using big 'blocks'. Alot of "younger" generation perfer not to have the "old fashion" look to quilts! Not me! I love tradition! like the new stuff too though!
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

do what you would enjoy working with, keep the piecing simple, showcase your fabrics and the quilting and you ought to be okay. Keep it mind, it is also for your nephew so make it something he will enjoy. My son in law as constantly surprised me over the years by letting me know how much he appreciates me and the gifts of love etc i bring to his life. i'm betting your nephew feels the same way about you.

Your chosen fabric is absolutely perfect for capturing the look of the Pottery Barn item. You will have a wonderful time working with such beautiful fabric. If she doesn't like it, well, her loss. You can always send it our way as I'm sure most everyone on this site would love to have what you make!
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

picture of 5 yard quilt

Found it - 5 yard quilt. Course I did make it bigger, so it took a little more fabric, but it was great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Beautiful Fabric! Why don't you ask if she wants the large blocks, or something with a pattern to it. If she likes the Pottery Barn quilt, then do that.....then, rather than criss cross quilting, do your free motion on the large blocks.
    Good luck... did I say beautiful fabric....you have a great eye for fabric selection.
    D in TX

I love your fabric choices. I'd love to know where you got them so I could use them on a quilt for myself. But since she has no further input don't stress about it. Just use your best judgment. This is a gift and since it is a gift it is what you want to do. Obviously she has no idea what is involved in making this quilt. Just include a note with my info and Ill purchase it from her LOL. Don't stress about it isn't quilting suppose to be enjoyabe?

IMO somewhere over time we have lost the concept of a gift. People are less grateful than in the past.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
    I love the fabrics you have chosen. If it were me, I would save myself the aggravation and simply make a quilt out of 8 or 10 in blocks and quilt it similar to what is show in the PB picture.

Coincidence here - my dearest friend (non-quilter) brought me the same pottery barn picture last fall and asked me to help her make a quilt out of it. She has selected the fabrics, washed, ironed and cut them, and as I am now back in MI we will be starting the quilt next week.

Good luck with your decision and your quilt. I know it will be gorgeous no matter what you decide on.
    I agree. Make big blocks with that gorgeous fabric you got and she should be happy. After all, thats the picture she showed you - why make it more difficult than it has to be just because you can piece more than just big blocks? Then start on a baby quilt YOU like for later!

Make it your way! It is coming from you and should reflect how you like things regardless of what the Pottery Barn has to offer. Just take the color suggestions and go with your heart.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

good luck and I would go with a dnp or a 10 min block those two would probably suit her best.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Quote Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
    I love the fabrics you have chosen. If it were me, I would save myself the aggravation and simply make a quilt out of 8 or 10 in blocks and quilt it similar to what is show in the PB picture.
    Ditto! She has clearly shown you what she likes. I see no need to depart from that by much. It's a quilt in that it has quilted layers. It doesn't look like anything that would demonstrate your talents, but she may actually appreciate it and use it much more happily than she would a more traditional or artistic quilt. A lot of young people are heavily influenced by brand names and what is trendy. It's hard to compete with that.

If there is any way to sound out her attitudes a little more specifically, you may find that she is thinking a homemade version of that store-bought (probably assembly line, foreign made) product is intended as a way for you to save money. If that's the case, you may want to rethink even making them a quilt. Save your talent for someone you know will appreciate it, or delay. Buy some wedding gift off their registry and after you have had a chance to get to know the bride better, make them the quilt that you can be sure will be appreciated later, such as Christmas or their anniversary. If they have a lot of wedding gifts coming in your special quilt might get relatively little notice. You can explain when you present the registry choice that you still intend to make them the quilt, but would like to get to know her and her style a little better first.

Another idea: if you are bent on making a "real" quilt, you could put the simple blocks on the back. Then they would have something that could be reversible, and there would be no better way of demonstrating the difference between the hasty style of that PB quilt and something that will be special and unique. I think I would still keep it somewhat simpler - perhaps a beautiful medallion with a large, plain inner border and a pieced outer border. Coordinating pillows or shams would likely be much appreciated.

It looks to me like she must line clean, simple lines. Have you seen the patterns that use the layer cakes , 10 1/2 in squares? You could cut your beautiful fabrics into large squares and randomly piece them, crosshatch quilt, looks like at least 1" apart. Save enough of some of the fabrics to make pillowcases/shams and you will have copied the look, Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I agree withdavis2se. Use big blocks just like the pottery barn, use heavy batting ans Sid. She will love it.

I think it is a compliment that she said "I'll leave it up to you." Even though she has not met you she recognizes that you know quilts! Your fabric choices are lovely. Sew it up into a pattern you want to make and go with it. If you enjoy what you are making they will love it! Just remember to post pictures for us to enjoy too.

I'd say like she said leave it up to you. If she can't give her opinion do it the way you would want to do it. you'll enjoy it more that way too

Blog Entries
    Great job in finding fabrics close to the Pottery Barn quilt. I like DP9, and I like log cabins, it will come to you. You are a wonderful aunt.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I agree with keeping it simple, 10" blocks and mid loft batting. The only thing I would add... If you look at the original picture of the Pottery Barn Quilt, it has some gold in the fabrics that are used. You may want to see if you can find something similar to add to what you already have.

I like the suggestions for 10" blocks for the very beautiful fabrics.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast