Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Help me here Ladies!

I totally agree with runninL8 and crzypatcher. If you model it after the pottery barn quilt, you can't go wrong. Be sure to post pictures of the finished product. Love your choice of colors.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    I agree you should do what you want. Perhaps she really has no clue as to how to suggest something and feels your the expert. The fabrics are very pretty. Have fun
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Absolutely agree with runninL8 & Jackie Spencer. The quilt is for them, and while its not something you would do, I'd stick with the 10" blocks, and let the fabrics speak for themselves. Do different machine quilting in each block like it shows in the picture, and maybe do a small cuddle quilt using some of those fabrics in a quilt YOU would like to 'broaden her horizons'. Don't know about you, but the older I got the more I learned to appreciate new (to me) things!

I would keep it like the picture as well. I would do some simple pieced stars on the back just for fun if you have left over fabric just to see the reaction. I would deff. add more then just a SID in the quilting. Love the fabrics!! I think one day I'm going to get a package by adding ..if she hates it PM me for my addy because I would love it HAHAHAHA
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by MissSandra View Post
    since information does not come down the pike easily make what you will enjoy making. obviously someone does not care enough or understands the work time and $$ involved in making a quilt, that way if she does not like it perhaps it will come home where its cherished and loved.
    I am betting that with the lack of interest on the receivers part, your work will be a waste of time. I will not give something I have done to people who are clueless in what it takes to create. While taking a hand quilting class the teacher told us her story. She hand piec
    stead of being hung on the wall to beatify their home , it was under the dog feeding bowl. The wife said the dog loves it.

I too agree with the 10" blocks. Love the fabrics you found! Could you possibly find a stripe or blender to throw in the mix?

Keep it Simple and enjoy the journey!! Say a prayer over this quilt for the couple and for their marriage.. and know that you have given something from your heart.
    Hugs
    Quiltinmama

How about D9P?

Great idea D9P also.

As an accomplished beginner quilter, I would like to put my two cents in. I know from personal experience that if she doesn't sew- she really can't say. She saw something she liked and your fabric choice is stunning! Too many choices leads To indecision. She has seen your work and simply cannot tell you and it's not from disrespect it's with confidence in your work that she feels comfortable with your decision. I'm sure your nephew has bragged a lot about you! May the fabric speak to you and just enjoy making that quilt . You are sooooo over thinking this! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Just go buy the pottery barn quilt.Both of you will be happier.She probably won't like what you make anyway.Not your fault or a reflection on you.Just the way she is.Some people just don't care for hand made items.Again,not your fault.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    beautiful fabrics!!! My guess is your nephews future wife picked this cause she loved the colors and probably has no idea about the stuffing.(hehehe). So go for what you think will work best and have fun making it. Hope to see pictures of the finished product!!
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Why does hammering a quilt make it lay flat? Ok stop laughing!

I was working on a LeMoyne (sp?) star quilt and everything was going really well until the final seam and I had the largest pimple in the middle and nothing was laying flat. I showed the quilt to several people and only one person had any idea how to fix it. She told me to get a clear acrylic hammer and dampen the intersections and pound the intersections flat. Well it was amazing how flat I got everything. I also sprayed sizing on it and pressed dry so that it would or could return. But now I am wondering why the hammering process actually worked. Oh and by the way I did not have an acrylic hammer but had a screw driver with a clear handle so I used that instead.
    Oh and I am sorry but it looks like I am adding this to another message but I wanted to start another thread but it has been too long and I don't remember how to anymore so forgive me for adding to this one.
    Last edited by sewtruterry; 04-27-2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: had something else to add

Whatever you make will be pretty because those fabrics are gorgeous!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Love your fabric. I agree with everyone saying keep in simple.... maybe 8 inch blocks.

Ask the groom-to-be what HE likes and go with that. If you don't get anywhere there.... do what YOU like so YOU enjoy making it.

I would stick with the 10 inch blocks. That must be the design she likes.

I vote for Disappearing 9 Patch. It's incredibly simple with a real contemporary look. Take it a notch above the plain squares in the Pottery Barn quilt. Your fab. choices are excellent! It will be a lovely quilt.
    Thimble and Thread

Blog Entries
    Since she has said she would leave it up to you, I would do as she said. Choose a pattern and proceed. She obviously doesn't know what goes into making a quilt. So go forth and conquer.
    By the way if you decide not to use the fabrics you have, you can send them my way. They are gorgeous.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

your fabrics will make a beautiful quilt and of much better quality than PB.

With those fabrics, anything you make will be beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Love your fabric's. I notice there is a really line"y" fabric in her picture which you do not have.
    I might look for a line"y" fabric with a little gold or yellow in it, if you have gold or yellow in the your flower patterns.
    Then I agree keep big blocks and make the quilting the pattern.

I love your fabric choices. I'm sure the bride will love whatever pattern you choose.

Norma

I think a large block D9P would be lovely with a bit of jazz in the quilting. Then you won't feel you've duplicated a
    Pottery Barn quilt. Your fabric choices are wonderful!

Blog Entries
    Ask your nephew what he likes try to please him or he might know if she would like it if not maybe he's marrying for the wrong reasons. I think you are driving your self crazy. she will like any thing you do if she likes you. lol
    Ladyredhawk

I also love the fabrics you've chosen. Like some of the others who have posted, I'd make it as easy as possible, like the one in the picture.
    Jeanie

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast