Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP ME TEACH >

HELP ME TEACH

HELP ME TEACH

Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM

Disappearing Nine Patch with sharp contrasts in the colors.

This will go fast and be colorful and something she can brag about.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by loolahbel
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I teach new sewers of any age string piecing as there are no mistakes.
Sorry, I don't know what string piecing is. Can you explain it?
I start with a foundation piece, can be anything, about 10 -11" square. Then lay the first piece right side up from corner to corner diagonally, the next piece goes right side down. Sew about a 1/4" seam. Fold the top piece over, I finger press, sew the next strip down right sides together. Continue until the foundation is covered. I start on one side and then do the other side. Trim to what ever sized you want. If this doesn not answer your question send me a PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Loolabell,

If it were my GD, I'd ask her what she would want to make. Then I'd put together a few options for her to choose from.

Once you know what she is 'into' you can decide if you can donate from your stash or prefer to take her on a FART [fabric acquisition road trip] specifically for her project.

The kids I worked with chose to make pillows andmade their own designs. They still have those pillows and love them.

ali
Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 PM

my grand daughter is always wanting to be in my sewing room so we can make stuff..
Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 AM

I have purchased a Janome mini for my 10 year old GD for Christmas and am looking for suggestions on what would be a good first project for her. I primarily piece quilt tops (lots of cottons in my stash) but have also done a little clothes sewing so keep that in mind when you give me your suggestions.

I expect that we will start our first project the day after Christmas so appreciate whatever suggestions you offer. Thanks.
The first thing I taught my DGD was a pillowcase out of flannel. That was 5 years ago and she still uses it. Next she made a log cabin pillow for her DM for Christmas. That was 5 yrs ago, she is now 15 and working on a black & white double quilt for herself. She is still shy of the rotary cutter, so I still supervise this, but, other than that, she chooses the colours and fabric on her own. Have fun teaching, it is very rewarding, especially, when they decide they like it.....
Old 12-15-2010, 06:03 AM

pillowcases are great for beginners
Old 12-15-2010, 06:43 AM

Sounds as if you have it under control. Its great that you are teaching, when I was in school we had home ect. and the first thing we were taught about the machine and then made an apron and pot holders. This went along with learning to cook.

Cookie
Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 AM

I have purchased a Janome mini for my 10 year old GD for Christmas and am looking for suggestions on what would be a good first project for her. I primarily piece quilt tops (lots of cottons in my stash) but have also done a little clothes sewing so keep that in mind when you give me your suggestions.

I expect that we will start our first project the day after Christmas so appreciate whatever suggestions you offer. Thanks.
Hi,
I don't know how old your GD is, but when my daughter was
5, I helped her make a little quilt that had a four patch for
one block and an alternating single patch for the second block. It turned out really cute and she did a great job.
Just a suggestion.
Have a Great Day!
Marcia
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM

My first machine sewing project was an apron in 4-H.. it was a simple square (just my size) hemmed on 3 sides and a casing on the 4th side. we made a drawstring for the waist and threaded it through the casing.. I got a blue ribbon at the fair.. and it took a whole yard of fabric.. and a monster was created. How very exciting to help a youngster learn a craft that will serve them well throughout their life.. Good for you.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 AM

The first thing I did with my Granddaughter was to tear pages out of a coloring book for her to sew on without thread. There is a great book called Raggedy Reverse. She has worked with kids as young as 4 and has some really neat projects. I got my Janome 6600P when she GD was 7. She had been sewing a couple of years. When I picked it up we both sewed with it and she prefers to sew on it to this day (now 11). She likes Thread painting and she knows when that 1/4 inch seam needs to be taken out and redone.

Diane/Wyoming/Janome 6600P